It's time for a wood pellet smoker/grill

drummermitchell

Re: It's time for a wood pellet smoker/grill
« Reply #20 on: 26 Mar 2021, 12:09 am »
I wonder what BBQ covers are for :scratch:
Rains up here and gets - 40
My pellets are 100% no matter the season
Oh my,yes I do cover mine after she cools down.

TomS

« Reply #21 on: 26 Mar 2021, 12:46 am »
Well, mine is always covered when not cooking and cooled. We do get a lot of humidity and perhaps there is some moisture retained inside after use. No idea why, but pellets turn to mush, the auger chute clogs up. I even use their branded pellets.

Marbles

« Reply #22 on: 26 Mar 2021, 01:27 am »

Thank you, just curious what grill you have?
My post was to warn folks that the possibility exists that the pellets can cement up and to also say that after my friend beat the hell out of the auger motor trying to un-freeze it and then literally beat the auger trying to un freeze it, that he was very impressed with the build quality of the ReqTek .

My daughters fiance has a best friend with a Traeger and he (daughter's fiance) wants a Traeger as well.  I told him my experience with the ReqTek hoping he would get one.
After doing the research he agreed that the ReqTek is probably better....but he would probably buy the Traeger because of his experience with his friends grill.

It's all good..as long as I get my brisket and butt   :P

GentleBender

« Reply #23 on: 26 Mar 2021, 09:13 am »
I also live in Florida but have never had any issue with the pellets getting wet. I’ve even cooked on them while it was raining and accidentally left them out in the rain after cooking. Living in Florida makes it hard to do long smokes without the occasional rain sneaking up on you. Has to be something with the design of the pellet hopper or maybe the cover trapping the humidity.  :scratch: I have never used the cover that I bought since mine are rolled back under the covered back porch. I almost bought the Green Mountain, but there were none with the built-in WiFi around here.

nature boy

« Reply #24 on: 9 May 2021, 09:53 pm »
Perfect porterhouse steak cooked on the RecTeq smoker for Mother's Day dinner. Yummo.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #25 on: 4 Jul 2021, 07:16 am »
Just noticed this one! I've got an old Traeger, not made anymore although they make a nearly-identical one.  I bought it seven or eight years ago although it was in storage a few years of that time.  Recently my family dug it out of storage in South Dakota and brought it to me in Montana. :hyper:  Still works like a charm! :thumb:  When it finally gives up the ghost I'd consider a Yoder or Rec Tec but so far it keeps chuggin' along.  In fact I just made some burgers on it today.  I'll probably do some chicken tomorrow and maybe some ribs next week.  While a stick burner is nice the pellet pooper is like a gas grill- just turn it on five minutes before you want to cook and put it away once it's cooled.  Since I cook for a living I have no guilt or shame about using the "Easy Button" at home! :lol:

GentleBender

« Reply #26 on: 4 Jul 2021, 11:14 am »
I started smoking with a stick burner and I don’t think I could go back to doing briskets on that thing after using the RecTeq. It is basically a smoke oven. I made beef rib pizzas with smoked vidalia onions.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #27 on: 4 Jul 2021, 08:56 pm »
Dang, you're making me hungry! :thumb: :lol:

Craig B

« Reply #28 on: 6 Jul 2021, 12:27 pm »
I just used my RecTec (old spelling because it's an old model  :wink: ) to do a chuck roast with onions, garlic, potatoes, parsnips and carrots, and they were fantastic. Shredded about 2/3 of the leftover meat from the 3# roast and made chili with it.

mav52

« Reply #29 on: 6 Jul 2021, 01:03 pm »
Well, mine is always covered when not cooking and cooled. We do get a lot of humidity and perhaps there is some moisture retained inside after use. No idea why, but pellets turn to mush, the auger chute clogs up. I even use their branded pellets.

Mine is never left outside.  The salt air living close to the beach is a killer on anything regardless who makes it.,

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #30 on: 10 Jul 2021, 01:22 am »
Not quite finished yet but starting to look tasty.  8)

GentleBender

« Reply #31 on: 10 Jul 2021, 12:18 pm »
I guess this is payback. :drool:

Marbles

« Reply #32 on: 12 Jul 2021, 08:05 pm »
Just thought I'd mention that Traeger is going public.  Pretty much every time a company goes public the bean counters get involved and cheapen the product.

If your on the fence about getting a Traeger, I'd do it sooner rather than later.  Weber is going public too.

https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/wall-street-rivals-morgan-stanley-goldman-back-ipos-rival-grill-makers

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #33 on: 12 Jul 2021, 10:17 pm »
Interesting! I'd assumed Traeger went public long ago.  They started building their grills in China years ago (not saying the quality suffered, I don't know one way or the other).  I've been happy with mine but if/when it dies I'll probably get a Recteq RT-B380 Bullseye.

nature boy

« Reply #34 on: 12 Jul 2021, 10:34 pm »
RecTeq spatchcock smoked chicken. Yummo!

EdRo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #35 on: 12 Nov 2021, 01:50 pm »
Hey Gentle Bender! That pizza looks CRAZY good!!!