$35 sleeper Zenith wide band drivers in C&C open baffles

Poultrygeist

A few years ago I paid $35 for a 1950's Zenith console and promptly made a profit when I sold it's tube amp and Cobramatic table. The Zenith 49CZ802 12" alnico drivers I harvested from the console were really an after thought and were collecting dust in my garage until I read this "Glow In The Dark" blog.

http://glowinthedarkaudio.com/zenith-49cz852.html

Inspired by the article I soon had the Zeniths in open baffles over my H-frame Alphas paired with Japanese Realistic 40-1310A tweeters. Less than $300 spent for these OB's is mind boggling considering the very high end sound they give in return. The tone is so sweet, so smooth and so right sometimes I have to bite my lip. I find myself listening to these a lot more than the high dollar Lowthers.

« Last Edit: 18 Mar 2017, 01:47 am by Poultrygeist »

Poultrygeist

Re: $35 sleeper Zenith wide band drivers in C&C open baffles
« Reply #1 on: 17 Mar 2017, 01:02 pm »
back view of the Zeniths

mcgsxr

« Reply #2 on: 17 Mar 2017, 01:08 pm »
Thanks for sharing!

Cool that many have "discovered" how good some of those old console pulls can be.  The related tube amps are gems too!

I am impressed with the quality of your implementation, and glad they are delivering for you.   :thumb:

srb

« Reply #3 on: 17 Mar 2017, 03:39 pm »
Inspired by the article I soon had the Zeniths in open baffles over my H-frame Alphas paired with Japanese Realistic 40-3010A tweeters.

Realistic 40-1310 ?

Poultrygeist

« Reply #4 on: 18 Mar 2017, 01:35 am »
mcgsxr, thanks

srb, yes the ones with an "A" were made in Japan and differ significantly from the Radio Shack versions made in Korea and China

srb

« Reply #5 on: 18 Mar 2017, 01:42 am »
srb, yes the ones with an "A" were made in Japan and differ significantly from the Radio Shack versions made in Korea and China

Yes, but they're 40-1310A, not 40-3010A, right?

Poultrygeist

« Reply #6 on: 18 Mar 2017, 01:46 am »
my mistake they're 40-1310A

Odal3

« Reply #7 on: 19 Mar 2017, 12:22 am »
Looks great!  :thumb:

What is the approximate "cross over" point in your system where the sub and tweater takes over?

Also - there are a couple of zenith consoles listed at Craigslist in my area. Any specific ones to look for?

Poultrygeist

« Reply #8 on: 19 Mar 2017, 12:44 am »
I run the Zeniths full range with a 1 uF cap on the tweeter both driven from the same amp. I drive and filter the H-frame woofers with a plate amp set at 75Hz. The Zeniths have great range and don't require that much bass augmentation. Heck they would be enjoyable mounted on a flat baffle sans tweeter and woofer.