Torus - Feedback/Reviews

1ZIP

Re: Torus - Feedback/Reviews
« Reply #80 on: 30 Mar 2009, 12:41 am »
I'm thinking more along the lines of a "Frequent Buyer" program! :)

werd

« Reply #81 on: 30 Mar 2009, 12:48 am »
I am thinking more down the line of coupons but James seems kinda distant to the idea.....  :scratch:

werd

« Reply #82 on: 31 Mar 2009, 12:46 am »
Hello everyone

James i was wandering if the power cord on the rm-20 is one you would need to replace or is it good enough?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #83 on: 31 Mar 2009, 12:59 am »
^
Hi werd,

It is the same kind as we use on our amps so I have not heard of anyone replacing it --- good experiment though.

james

drummermitchell

« Reply #84 on: 31 Mar 2009, 01:43 am »
Hey Werd,I did change mine out(20a balanced)with a Lessloss DFPC.
I don't know if it changed anything,all I Know is it all sounds great.
My problem is I aquire a piece of gear and I don't give her to much of a chance to settle in and then I'm
installing something else.I did chat with Liudas from Lessloss and he was saying the cords will do more going from PIU to amps or components.so I'm assuming it won't do much,but she looks good,when I look back there :lol:.

werd

« Reply #85 on: 31 Mar 2009, 03:27 am »
Hey Werd,I did change mine out(20a balanced)with a Lessloss DFPC.
I don't know if it changed anything,all I Know is it all sounds great.
My problem is I aquire a piece of gear and I don't give her to much of a chance to settle in and then I'm
installing something else.I did chat with Liudas from Lessloss and he was saying the cords will do more going from PIU to amps or components.so I'm assuming it won't do much,but she looks good,when I look back there :lol:.

Is your a dual phase or single phase Drummer? It must be a single phase if u are using lessloss

werd

« Reply #86 on: 31 Mar 2009, 03:50 am »
Hold on.... would  i need to do any electrical modifications for the rms 20 bal. or do i just need to change my outlet in the wall? How does that work? I understand that i need a 20 amp cord but is that it? Whats better the bal or the single phase?

drummermitchell

« Reply #87 on: 31 Mar 2009, 04:24 am »
If I remember right as i have a 20a Lessloss in front of me,your 20a Torus has the 20a iec,but the other end is a 15a male plug(no problem)all my retired Shunyatas were the same 20a on the unit with a 20 female and the 15a male on the end.
My 20a 240v balanced Torus takes a 20a end(same type of female plug).if you look on the Torus site,
you'll see under customer care the type of PCs there.i believe the balanced gives you more power and noise cancelation.James could clarify that and more.If you bought a 240v Torus ,you'd need a 240v source from the wall.When I first had mine I cheated and found two wall recetacles that were in phase 120v each.the cables were 2X extension cords tied into a 240v receptaclebox(female).By the way that's not legal.
I put a meter on the two and she read out 240(good to go)I just did that until I got my electrician to run me a cable from my main panel,installed me a sub panel,so I have 2X240v receptacles and 4 X15a duplexes.
hope that helps.

drummermitchell

« Reply #88 on: 31 Mar 2009, 10:49 pm »
Lorne,Oops I forgot on the end of my 20a cable,the end that goes to the wall is a 240v male plug which I
installed.

werd

« Reply #89 on: 31 Mar 2009, 11:06 pm »
Lorne,Oops I forgot on the end of my 20a cable,the end that goes to the wall is a 240v male plug which I
installed.

k now that makes sense....  :) it kinda confused me a bit.

drummermitchell

« Reply #90 on: 3 Apr 2009, 01:50 am »
There's somebody in my head but is not me :icon_twisted:.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #91 on: 12 Apr 2009, 10:57 am »
Alan Dolyniuk @shaw.ca
Sat 4/11/2009 4:41 PM

Hi James,

Just wanted to let you know that I have been enjoying my 4BSST2 and 6BSST2 along
 with the Torus RM-20 and RM-10. 

I had a chance to test the Shunyata Vray against the Torus.

First test, I plugged the amps into the RM-20 and my front end components in to Shuyata.  Nice, better than just the Shunyata with the front end. Though the Torus only had about 50 hours burn in time, it was still somewhat congested.

I then left the amps in the RM-20, and plugged the front end components into the RM-10. The RM-10 had 0 hrs burn in. Immediately, the system opened up, more than I expected. Flipped back and forth with the front end on the Shunyata and Torus. No contest, Shunyata is going up for sale.

Since then my system has opened up more (less congested). I find I do not have to turn the volume up as high, as I did at the beginning.

I am very happy with this configuration.     

Thanks
Alan

drummermitchell

« Reply #92 on: 12 Apr 2009, 02:04 pm »
That's what happened to me also.I first aquired the 15a balanced Torus,then a 20a bal.
used the 15 for components and the 20 for the amps.All I can say is IT's SHOWTIME.
HUGE HUGE diference.I guess the 15a couldn't handle the 3X7Bsst's+2X4B-ssts,subs and comonents,as soon as I installed the 20a with the 15a,I couldn't believe what I was hearing.
Definately a person should ADD how much amperage you amps would like,as I found out night and day difference aa aa aa.As James said as the wall is limited to give out only so much,and the amps demand more
than what the wall can give,the Torus definately opens up the flood gates :thumb: :thumb:.

werd

« Reply #93 on: 12 Apr 2009, 02:43 pm »
That's what happened to me also.I first aquired the 15a balanced Torus,then a 20a bal.
used the 15 for components and the 20 for the amps.All I can say is IT's SHOWTIME.
HUGE HUGE diference.I guess the 15a couldn't handle the 3X7Bsst's+2X4B-ssts,subs and comonents,as soon as I installed the 20a with the 15a,I couldn't believe what I was hearing.
Definately a person should ADD how much amperage you amps would like,as I found out night and day difference aa aa aa.As James said as the wall is limited to give out only so much,and the amps demand more
than what the wall can give,the Torus definately opens up the flood gates :thumb: :thumb:.

I think i am going to buy one of these, just cant figure out if the rm-15 or rm-20 is better suited for my kit?

drummermitchell

« Reply #94 on: 12 Apr 2009, 03:14 pm »
Werd,James posted a thread(and it's on the Torus site also)what size of Torus you would need
for your gear,actually I'll send you a copy of the paper that James sent me.
If you think you are going to expand on your  power then you might have to go with a bigger Torus.
                                              E-Mail on the way :thumb:.

werd

« Reply #95 on: 12 Apr 2009, 03:49 pm »
Werd,James posted a thread(and it's on the Torus site also)what size of Torus you would need
for your gear,actually I'll send you a copy of the paper that James sent me.
If you think you are going to expand on your  power then you might have to go with a bigger Torus.
                                              E-Mail on the way :thumb:.

k i got it thanx Drummer. So to get it straight the rm-20 will plug into regular outlet (with a 20 amp female)but is recommended to be dedicated so as to not share current....is that correct?

drummermitchell

« Reply #96 on: 12 Apr 2009, 04:46 pm »
We don't need no stinking HITCH HICKERS :nono: on our dedicated Bryston,Torus circuits.

werd

« Reply #97 on: 12 Apr 2009, 04:55 pm »
We don't need no stinking HITCH HICKERS :nono: on our dedicated Bryston,Torus circuits.

i like that little 2.5 amp by torus. I wonder if it might be better to go with the 2.5 and rm15 instead of the rm-20. Either way i think i amgoin to sell my blue circle to help raise the moola.

drummermitchell

« Reply #98 on: 12 Apr 2009, 06:17 pm »
Werd,I'd let James know what you have for gear.I'm sure he'd put you right where you need to be as far as the Torus is concerned.
I think with my 60a Balanced,I could have plugged everything in there,amps,components,subs ect.
But I like my components separate,so I use the 20a bal. for my components and subs.
Just makin sure my gear don't go hungry :lol:.

werd

« Reply #99 on: 12 Apr 2009, 06:30 pm »
Werd,I'd let James know what you have for gear.I'm sure he'd put you right where you need to be as far as the Torus is concerned.
I think with my 60a Balanced,I could have plugged everything in there,amps,components,subs ect.
But I like my components separate,so I use the 20a bal. for my components and subs.
Just makin sure my gear don't go hungry :lol:.

I would love to go dual phase on the rm-20 but the wife would figure that out fast  :nono: . An electrician running around the house, taking drywall down, its just a recipe for too many questions. I got my monster cable avs2000 that looks alot like a torus. I can sell that and mask the torus for the monster cable......  :lol:
It will be a  very fast in and out kinda operation.... no questions asked....

Am i a bad husband?  :scratch: