Am I now a tube-o-phile?

knut_the_viking

Am I now a tube-o-phile?
« on: 25 Mar 2009, 11:23 pm »
Surely it takes more to be a tube-o-phile than the fact that I've only got one small Tec-on tube amp with 3 wonderful, glowing tubes?

Maybe it helps that I love my tube amp? Or rather, I love the way it plays music...

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: Am I now a tube-o-phile?
« Reply #1 on: 25 Mar 2009, 11:40 pm »
It always starts small like that, then it spreads to take over your entire system - careful young padawan!

richidoo

« Reply #2 on: 26 Mar 2009, 12:27 am »
I had 16, now down to one for the time being. But I'm looking forward to my next tube excursion when the time comes, and it will....
Once a Tube O Phile, always a Tube O Phile!

Bigfish

« Reply #3 on: 26 Mar 2009, 12:44 am »
I make no bones about it, I am definitely a tube-o-phile.  My system has 6 tubes in it and I probably have collected 30 to 40 tubes to roll in it.  Everytime I turn around I am ordering another tube.  I keep telling myself owning tubes is better than having money invested in stock market!  Anyway, tubes are great!

Ken

cryoparts

« Reply #4 on: 26 Mar 2009, 12:51 am »
I used to be addicted to tubes, then I got "better" for about 10 years and had none...but the bug bit again a couple of years ago.  Now I have 26 glowing bottles scattered throughout my various systems.  Where did I go wrong?   :scratch:

Peace,

Lee

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #5 on: 26 Mar 2009, 12:53 am »
I used to be addicted, then I was better for about 10 years, but the bug bit again a couple of years ago.  Now I have 26 glowing bottles scattered throughout my various systems.  Where did I go wrong?   :scratch:

Peace,

Lee

Only 26??...I have more output tubes than that  in my mono blocks!   :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Good to see that you came back to the glowing glass.

George

cryoparts

« Reply #6 on: 26 Mar 2009, 12:55 am »

Only 26??...I have more output tubes than that  in my mono blocks!   :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

For now. I'm sick, I need help, is there a doctor here?   :lol:

I forgot about the gazillions of tubes one accumulates when using tube gear.  Why do I need so many backups?  Why do I keep buying NOS tubes from eBay?  Oh wait, I know, it's a blast!

Lee

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 26 Mar 2009, 12:58 am »

For now. I'm sick, I need help, is there a doctor here?

Lee

Here's your doctor:

George

cryoparts

« Reply #8 on: 26 Mar 2009, 12:59 am »

For now. I'm sick, I need help, is there a doctor here?

Lee

Here's your doctor:

George

Ha!  Indeed!  I love it.  :rotflmao:

Lee

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 26 Mar 2009, 01:02 am »
BTW, I have 41 tubes in my system (and the electricity bill to prove it).

The scary part is that those 41 tubes are in just a pair of amps and a Modwright Transporter.   :duh:

George

mgalusha

« Reply #10 on: 26 Mar 2009, 01:15 am »
I've gone both ways, SS and tubes and at the moment it's a bunch'o'tubes.. 34 in the present system, warms the room up nicely when the OTL is lit up. I have a scratch built tube preamp in my system at work though it has a single 6N1P, very zen like.

bunnyma357

« Reply #11 on: 26 Mar 2009, 01:45 am »
Budget-wise, I'm definitely on the low-end of the scale. I am fairly new to full fledged tube-o-philedom, after having flirted with a MF tube buffer. Now after about a year and a half, having gone to tube amps,  I've got 21 tubes in 3 systems, a Tube Tester, and probably about 150 various tubes for rolling, including many that I have no use for (too many eBay tube lots).

I'm also now getting packages from every country that used to be on the other side of the iron curtain filled with lots of little glass bottles.

Really enjoying my music now, more than I ever have.

Jim C

Thebiker

« Reply #12 on: 26 Mar 2009, 03:14 am »
Counting tubes :scratch:?  I don't have time to count tubes, I'm too busy deciding what to spin next.....I have been re-bitten by the dreaded Vinyl Bug.  And yes, there are tubes in the phono preamp :).

Walt

Mr Content

« Reply #13 on: 26 Mar 2009, 03:20 am »
BTW, I have 41 tubes in my system (and the electricity bill to prove it).

The scary part is that those 41 tubes are in just a pair of amps and a Modwright Transporter.   :duh:

George

My goodness George 41 , I thought you were talking about your age....hehehe.

Makes my mere 6 tubes look a bit sick, but I love my 6 tube Set amp.  I have now lost the SS power amps, I am going to sell my valve pre, because my set does such a great job.

Mr C

hmen

« Reply #14 on: 26 Mar 2009, 04:13 am »
I've got 30 tubes in my main system and about a dozen tube amps of various types around the house. I guess I qualify. 

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #15 on: 26 Mar 2009, 06:24 am »
I've got 30 tubes in my main system and about a dozen tube amps of various types around the house. I guess I qualify. 

10 tubes running at the moment. But alot more if you count the ones currently warming the bench, and 100s more if you count the donors.

dave

JakeJ

« Reply #16 on: 26 Mar 2009, 08:59 am »
I have a mere 17 tubes in the main rig but there is the vintage gear which, if all were being used would number around 150.  The stash numbers around a 100 NOS/NIB and three banana boxes of pulls from an old radio shop with 2-300 in each box.  I have found a few real gems in those.

Yes, it's an addiction but there far worse ones to have.  :nono:

Warm Regards,
JakeJ

bunky

« Reply #17 on: 26 Mar 2009, 09:28 am »
Cool circle,I am running 17 tubes in my current 2 channel rig

knut_the_viking

« Reply #18 on: 26 Mar 2009, 03:58 pm »
I only ("only") have 3 active tubes.
Plus, 3 inactive tubes after one of the original output tubes started to 'pop'. Ordered a new set of output tubes, and Pierre (Tecon) sent me a full set of 3 for my amp.

The old tubes are now sitting at the office desk, mostly as a conversation starter.
(I just realized, I'm spreading the word to my colleagues...) So far, they're resisting...

I have started thinking about an upgrade to a Rogue Audio pre/power combo (Entry-level Titan setup)
That will increase the tube count somewhat.

DustyC

« Reply #19 on: 26 Mar 2009, 04:42 pm »
22 and counting in my rig. Yep, I love the glow from the firebottles! aa