Scotch!!

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Scotch!!
« Reply #20 on: 22 Apr 2004, 06:35 pm »
At one of the local pubs we had a visit from an "ambassador" for the Dalmore distillery, it was nice.  They had a group of people there, they fed all of us, and let us drink quite a bit of the Dalmore 12, the Dalmore 21, and the Dalmore Cigar Malt.  Updated my list in the first post with these.

Tyson

Scotch!!
« Reply #21 on: 2 May 2004, 07:08 pm »
Added Strathisla, Glenn Scotia, Benrinnes, Glenrothes, and Glendronach.

Tyson

Scotch!!
« Reply #22 on: 3 May 2004, 05:20 pm »
Also added Glenmorangie 10 and Craggenmore.

bubba966

Scotch!!
« Reply #23 on: 3 May 2004, 05:33 pm »

electricbear

Scotch!!
« Reply #24 on: 3 May 2004, 06:24 pm »
I grew up and until 6 years ago lived in the Speyside region of Scotland. Needless to say I'm somewhat partial to a drop of the golden ambrosia. My favourite of the nearly affordable is the 18 yr old Maccallan although due to budgetry concerns  I'm more often enjoying the 12yr. I'm also quite partial to the 15yr Glenfiddich which I find is rather nicer than its junior. If you guys don't already use these, get some glasses from Riedel. They make a glass that is recommended by most of the better distilleries, it brings the whiskey to the right part of the pallate. 8)

Woodsea

Scotch!!
« Reply #25 on: 3 May 2004, 06:59 pm »
I had the Reidels, but prefer the bolder and stouter

Check em out here...http://www.scotchdoc.com/home.html

Andrikos

Scotch!!
« Reply #26 on: 3 May 2004, 08:09 pm »
Tyson, fascinating read even though I don't drink scotch.
For those who do, though, could you alphabetize your entries in the first post so they can be accessed more readily? The list is pretty long... :)
Also, is it possible to "grade", say, out of 10, each whisky?
Thanks and keep up the great work.

Tyson

Scotch!!
« Reply #27 on: 3 May 2004, 09:58 pm »
bubba,
The first thing you do when you get up in front of everyone at an AA meeting is tell them your name, jeez, how anonymous is that?  Besides, I don't have a problem, I can stop drinking anytime I want to  :P

electricbear,
I gotta go with Woodsea, those scotchdoc glasses are great, I prefer them to the Reidel, and pretty much every other glass I've tried.  But they are pretty big, if you put as much as the picture shows, that is a LOT of scotch and will put you (or at least put me) under the table in no time.

Andrikos,
Alphabitizing is possible, I'll see what I can do with that.  For a 1-10 rating though, I don't think I'm gonna do it, simply for the fact that a sliding scale will alter older tastings.  Meaning tha as I taste more scotch, my ideas of good scotch and bad scotch are re-defined.  So there would be the impression of an absolute scale where there in fact is not one.  For example, when I started I would have rated the Aberlour Abunakh at a 9 out of 10, but now that I've had the Mortlach and the Mac 18, they are certainly better, but I can't give them a 10 out of 10, because I don't think I've had the "ultimate" scotch yet, there's too many other 20 and 30 year old scotches that Iv'e just never had, and so you see the dilema . . .

Tyson

Scotch!!
« Reply #28 on: 3 May 2004, 10:01 pm »
Also, these are all entirely personal impressions, what I like and what I don't like will probably not apply to another person.  Mainly I just started this whole thread as a place for me to sort of share my own journey/discovery of great (and not so great) scotches.

And for that, having a place like Pint's pub literally 2 miles away is invaluably helpful.  At any given time they have close to 250 different scotches on tap at the bar.  Most drams are 8-12 dollars and give me a great ability to try out a lot of scotches in a relatively short amount of time.

electricbear

Scotch!!
« Reply #29 on: 3 May 2004, 11:29 pm »
I'll get some of those glasses on order although my wife will never believe me that they're for whiskey. If you're looking for a good beer to enjoy while sampling try Dark Island . It's brewed in the Orkney islands and is from the same stable as Raven and the infamous Skullsplitter. Also try Tennents Lager. 8)

Tyson

Scotch!!
« Reply #30 on: 3 May 2004, 11:36 pm »
Funny you should mention beer, because it is my inability to handle beer (the bubbles do bad things to my stomach) that I got in to scotch in the first place.  So thanks for the suggestion, but I'll have to pass  :cry:

Also, I just alphabetized the list.

Tyson

Scotch!!
« Reply #31 on: 4 May 2004, 03:54 am »
As I sit here drinking the last of my Highland Park Old Malt Cask bottle, I realize I've never written up my impressions of the bottle of Highland Park 12 year old, or the 18 year old, or the Old Malt Cask bottling.  So, those are now added.

I also added some general notes to the beginning on how I've discovered the best way to drink scotch (for me).  Hopefully someone else finds it usefull as well.

Andrikos

Scotch!!
« Reply #32 on: 4 May 2004, 04:39 am »
Thanks Tyson,
great read!

bubba966

Scotch!!
« Reply #33 on: 4 May 2004, 05:04 am »
Quote from: Tyson
I don't have a problem, I can stop drinking anytime I want to  :P

:lol: Suuuuure. That's what all alcoholics say, isn't it?... :wink:  :lol:

Tyson

Scotch!!
« Reply #34 on: 12 May 2004, 04:24 pm »
Added Linkwood 10, Bowmore Marriner, and Laphroaig Cask Strength.  Updated Strathisla 12, Glenmorangie 10, and Dalmore Cigar Malt.

Also added a quick summary of the best overall and the best for the $$ at the bottom of the post.

Tyson

Scotch!!
« Reply #35 on: 15 May 2004, 11:59 pm »
Added the Balvenie 15 Single Cask, Scapa 12, and Springbank 15.

pjchappy

Scotch!!
« Reply #36 on: 16 May 2004, 12:09 am »
Tyson, how's your liver?

p

Tyson

Scotch!!
« Reply #37 on: 16 May 2004, 05:58 am »
I don't drink the whole bottle!  Just a "dram", which is little more than a shot, so I'm not boozing it up (too much).  Besides if you get even a little inebreated, it's time to stop drinking scotch since you lose your ability to actually taste it very well.

pjchappy

Scotch!!
« Reply #38 on: 16 May 2004, 06:34 am »
Quote from: Tyson
Besides if you get even a little inebreated, it's time to stop drinking scotch since you lose your ability to actually taste it very well.

But that's when it starts getting fun. . .   :lol:

p

Tyson

Scotch!!
« Reply #39 on: 18 May 2004, 04:12 pm »
Added Isle of Arran 12, and Edradour 10.