ISO 6" chefs knife

santacore

ISO 6" chefs knife
« on: 31 Mar 2020, 02:30 am »
Hey all. Can anyone recommend a specific 6" ish chefs knife for general vegetable chopping? Ideal price would be $100 or less. Thanks.

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
Re: ISO 6" chefs knife
« Reply #1 on: 31 Mar 2020, 04:09 am »

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #2 on: 31 Mar 2020, 05:07 am »
Global, Tojiro in a more versatile 8" santoku will chop well.  But if you are looking to specifically chop vegetables, buy a nakiri.  For $45 this knife is probably the best quality/price vege chopper out there.  https://www.chefknivestogo.com/toshhalina16.html
  But you can't leave it laying around wet. 
I own this version, still under $50, and it's my best knife for chopping.  https://www.chefknivestogo.com/toshna161.html

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 31 Mar 2020, 08:52 am »
There's a ton of options in that price range.  My preference is almost always for a Japanese knife but it depends on how you'll use it and how you'll maintain it.  In general terms Japanese knives are typically made of better steels and will hold an edge longer than something like a Wusthof but it will be a bit more work to maintain.  What kind of cooking do you mostly do?  Are you a big cooking enthusiast or do you just need a knife for occasional use?

Why do you want a 6" blade?  Do you know what kind of knives you like or just figuring it out?

santacore

« Reply #4 on: 31 Mar 2020, 05:02 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I currently have a set of Henckel's. In general the Henkel's set takes care of our day to day needs. Whenever I'm chopping smaller veggies I find that I reach for the 6" blade. The problem is the blade is a little small and the handle is not very comfortable. So looking for something to improve upon that design. I don't need anything to fancy, just better. I hand wash my knifes, but not looking for anything too exotic to maintain.

JohnR

« Reply #5 on: 1 Apr 2020, 08:44 am »
There are stainless versions of the knife S Clark linked which might be of interest (easier to care for) eg https://www.chefknivestogo.com/todpna16.html (no personal experience).

I used to use this one which might be along the lines you are thinking - https://www.amazon.com/Global-GS-5-5-inch-Vegetable-Knife/dp/B00005OL3V

Personally I moved to a larger (19cm) knife and would like to go larger still.

santacore

« Reply #6 on: 1 Apr 2020, 04:40 pm »
Thanks for the input JohnR! That Tojiro DP looks like it could be a great low maintenance choice.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #7 on: 1 Apr 2020, 07:56 pm »
Thanks for the input JohnR! That Tojiro DP looks like it could be a great low maintenance choice.
Although not that particular one, my daughter has three knives from that line- hence the same VG10 steel.  They hold edges well, but are prone to bit of chipping.  They will take a much better edge than your Henkels

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 1 Apr 2020, 10:12 pm »
Tojiro blades are very good and a significant upgrade from JA Henckels.  Be aware that the VG-10 steel will be a bit more work to sharpen although it will also hold an edge longer.  Generally with Japanese knives you can easily go the next size larger than you'd go with a German due to their lighter weight.  So if you normally use a 6" chef's knife an 8" gyuto will likely suit you well.

Some folks like Global knives but personally I loathe sharpening them.  I'm not sure what the actual steel is but it's much more work to deburr than comparably priced Japanese knives.

The Kagayaki CarboNext series of knives are fantastic IMO.  I keep three of them in my work knife case.  They're tool steel, not quite stainless but more rust resistant than traditional high carbon, and take a spectacular edge that rivals anything you do with Ao-ko but with much better corrosion resistance.  They're very reasonably priced as well.  I just wish they'd release a Wa version!

SoCalWJS

« Reply #9 on: 2 Apr 2020, 12:29 am »
And now for something completely different...

I stumbled into something about 8-10 months ago that has become my favorite, but it is largely based upon the price that I paid that I love it so much. My wife and I love to hit Garage sales & Estate sales for cheap entertainment. We don’t buy much unless it’s a really good deal. At one Estate sale, I happened to see a decent looking kitchen knife.
“How Much?”
“5 Bucks - and it’s a really good knife”

Almost didn’t buy it and continued on my way. On the way out I glanced over and saw there was a Knife Sharpener next to it. Chef’s Choice 120.
“How much?”
“Ten Bucks”
Thought to myself for about a millionth of a second ‘I can get those for $15 and keep it reasonably sharp and if it chews the blade up a bit, who cares?’

“Sold”

Took them home and found it was a 16 cm Wusthoff Classic 4582 X50 Cr Mo 15 (just barely over 6” Chef’s Knife) Ran it through all 3 stages of the Chef’s Choice.

It has become my work horse. Love the size and shape of the blade. Easy to bring the edge back with a Steel. About every month or so I run it through Stage 3 of the Chef’s Choice (very light stropping)

I still use other knifes and I keep them sharp with my Edge Pro Apex, but this is soooooooo easy.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 2 Apr 2020, 04:33 am »
You can't beat it for that price! :lol:

santacore

« Reply #11 on: 2 Apr 2020, 05:07 am »
Great stuff, thanks to all. Too many good options.