Coffee

roscoeiii

Re: Coffee
« Reply #20 on: 4 Mar 2016, 05:32 pm »
I can buy fresh beans locally, intelligentsia and some others have places around me.

But red bird is cheaper, $53 for 5 lbs of redbird espresso (med roast blend), free shipping.
They usually ship on the day of, or day after roast, and it takes a couple days to get it.

So, as soon as it arrives, I vacuum seal and freeze most of it, and it lasts me a few months.

Randy

Intelligensia is good stuff. You're here in Chicago then? Or West Coast?

I'll look into that Red Bird.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #21 on: 4 Mar 2016, 05:41 pm »
You guys are all crazy....

So are all burr grinders created equal? If not, what makes one better than another or shall I say what does one look for in buying a burr grinder?

randytsuch

« Reply #22 on: 4 Mar 2016, 05:55 pm »

So are all burr grinders created equal? If not, what makes one better than another or shall I say what does one look for in buying a burr grinder?

There are coffee fanatics, like audio fanatics  :lol:

Do you want an espresso grinder, drip grinder, or both?

I have a Baratza Vario, very nice grinder, does espresso and drip, but it's not cheap.  When I bought it, it was cheaper than the current price.  The Baratza Preciso is less money, and still a very good grinder for both espresso and drip.

For just drip, Baratza makes some a lower end model.

Avoid really cheap burr grinders, they literally just smash up the beans, and don't really grind them.

Randy

randytsuch

« Reply #23 on: 4 Mar 2016, 05:55 pm »

Los Angeles, and yes Intelli is good stuff.

bentconvert

« Reply #24 on: 4 Mar 2016, 05:59 pm »
Here are a couple of coffee-centric sites with forums, reviews, how-to's, etc..

http://coffeegeek.com/
http://www.home-barista.com/

Good place to research grinders, coffee makers and procedures

roscoe65

« Reply #25 on: 4 Mar 2016, 06:32 pm »

Very good burr grinders with have better motors, better bearings, and better and sharper burrs (usually ceramic).  The grind size can be controlled to precisely what you want and the burrs can be replaced.  Cheap burr grinders do not have those features, and the metal burrs tend to dull quickly and crush rather than shear the beans, resulting in uneven size and some fine particles/dust.  I would rather spend five minutes hand-grinding using a Hario Skerton than use a cheap burr grinder.

In general, good coffee requires:

1.  Good coffee (duh!).  That means the beans you like, roasted freshly and to the color you wish.  Unless you're doing Espresso or other coffee drinks most people choose a dark city roast.

2.  A proper grind matched to your brew method of choice.  Again, unless you are pulling Expresso shots your grind size is intended to give about 3 minutes of brew time.  If you are using a pour-over brewer, you will typically want a medium fine grind.  If you're using a French Press a coarser one.  An Aeropress will almost use an Espresso grind and will be brewed for a shorter period of time.

3.  Have filtered, hot water available.  I use an electric kettle to get water to 195F to 205F.  Most drip pots don't get hot enough.  An exception is the Bonavita, which heats to about 195F.

4.  Heat everything up before you brew your coffee.  That includes your mug, the brewing vessel, and since I like milk in my coffee the milk as well.  The idea is that everything stays hot during your 3 minute brew.

5.  Bloom your coffee.  Add about twice as much hot water per coffee by weight (my mug uses one ounce of coffee, so about two ounces of water).  This allows the coffee to be evenly wetted, release excess CO2, and swell to avoid channels when you begin to add water.

6.  Add water.  I use a pour over method, which means I pour in about 300g of water for 30g of coffee.  Do this slowly so you don't form channels and it takes about three minutes for the water to filter completely through.

It doesn't take nearly as long as it sounds.  While you water is heating (3 or 4 minutes) you are prepping your coffee and brew vessel and maybe microwaving the milk in your mug.  I've found that an electric kettle that hold temperature makes things a lot easier.

Nick77

« Reply #26 on: 4 Mar 2016, 06:34 pm »
Another happy Behmor 1600 user. Roasting beans myself allows me to afford the coffee beans I most enjoy. I can buy some of the worlds greatest green coffee beans for a fraction of roasted costs. Not to mention its somewhat difficult to find roasters that match your own favorite roast profile.

I agree if I had a local roaster doing full flavor roasting it would be less attractive. But you almost never see any of the small micro lot offerings available to the home roaster at the coffee retailer.  :green:

mick wolfe

« Reply #27 on: 4 Mar 2016, 07:03 pm »

[/quote

Roscoe....Last time I was in Chicago, I gave the nod to LaColome(W. Randolph) for the coffee and Intelligensia( Division) for the friendly baristas. Both are very good.... can't lose with either.

rbbert

« Reply #28 on: 4 Mar 2016, 07:07 pm »
Why would people choose a dark city roast?  You lose more of the flavor (not a problem is the beans aren't great quality to begin with)  and more of the caffeine that way.

ctviggen

« Reply #29 on: 4 Mar 2016, 07:19 pm »
Does anybody here roast and grind their own coffee, but also cold brew their coffee?  We've been cold brewing our coffee for years. We don't even have a hot coffee maker anymore.

roscoe65

« Reply #30 on: 4 Mar 2016, 07:40 pm »
Why would people choose a dark city roast?  You lose more of the flavor (not a problem is the beans aren't great quality to begin with)  and more of the caffeine that way.

A dark city roast is not the same as a dark roast.  It is either  full city roast or maybe a little beyond, but well before the second crack and while it is still dry.  Depending on the brew method, it maintains the caramelized flavors of a city roast with a bit more of the roasted flavor.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #31 on: 4 Mar 2016, 08:36 pm »

I probably roast to city+ to Vienna as my usual range. 

Nick77

« Reply #32 on: 4 Mar 2016, 08:38 pm »
I roast into 2nd crack also. Full city+ rocks.  :thumb:

roscoe65

« Reply #33 on: 4 Mar 2016, 08:57 pm »
My roasting skills are poor enough that my attempts at a Vienna Roast usually end up as briquets.  The timing gets pretty close at that end of the roast spectrum.

S Clark

« Reply #34 on: 4 Mar 2016, 09:06 pm »
Some roaster have better control than others.  I have little problem hitting my roast as desired with the Behmor.   They all will vary depending on ambient temperatures, so you have to monitor- can't just walk away if you want control.  And different beans roast differently... different densities change roast times.  15 seconds can make a big difference. 

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #35 on: 4 Mar 2016, 09:14 pm »
What is the entire procedure?
Its roasting and milling only?
How much time last roasting?
What is the better temperature to a no too strong taste?

stlrman

« Reply #36 on: 4 Mar 2016, 10:39 pm »
Ctviggen , can you explain how you cold roast ? Thanks!!

S Clark

« Reply #37 on: 4 Mar 2016, 10:56 pm »
Ctviggen , can you explain how you cold roast ? Thanks!!
I think he was talking about cold brewing. 

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #38 on: 5 Mar 2016, 12:22 am »
A good true Hawaiian Kona can be difficult to get at a reasonable price. It is only harvested once a year I believe. If you are buying from a comapany that sells roasted coffee, in a store or the internet, I would guess it would be about $50 per pound for good true Kona. If you are paying less, it is probably a blend and the beans may have even been sprayed with flavoring!

The fact is that Kona is in great demand in the last several years, and large companies have bought most of it up from the source, a small region of an island.

I used to look forward to getting green (unroasted) Kona beans for about $20 per pound. Not so much now, they are closer to $25+ per pound and it is just typcally not as good as it used to be. Not really worth it to me when I can get excellent coffee beans for less than $7 per pound. 

Here is what I think is most important to brew the best coffee, in order of decreasing importance:

good single-origin green beans chosen by experts (this is what a website or shop should provide for your money)
good roasting technique
lighter roast
good brewing method without paper filter to absorb the oils (that's where the flavor is!)
the grinder (you can get a decent grind for regular coffee with about any grinder if you try, espresso is different)

I use a Behmor also and I am planning to get the new version with a fully manual roast capability.

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #39 on: 5 Mar 2016, 12:30 am »
What is the entire procedure?
Its roasting and milling only?
How much time last roasting?
What is the better temperature to a no too strong taste?

Here is a good video that shows how I do it (this is not me :)  )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6ajrQnTgII