TV Tuner Card for W7 PC

Don_S

TV Tuner Card for W7 PC
« on: 25 May 2013, 08:29 pm »
I screwed up when I bought my new PC.  I did not order a TV tuner.  Now my usage has changed and I want a tuner to use the PC with my 22" monitor.  I use an external antenna and get good reception on my LCD TV so I hope that is good enough for the computer tuner.

I have a couple of DVRs on my main TV so I do not need that function from a PC tuner.  I just want to be able to watch TV in real time. I know most cards do everything so I am not trying to find one that is minimalist.  I am just saying my priorities are good picture and reliability.

Suggestions appreciated.

YoungDave

Re: TV Tuner Card for W7 PC
« Reply #1 on: 25 May 2013, 10:33 pm »
I have had a couple tuners over the years.  For the past couple years I have been using a Hauppage HVR-2250.  Dual tuners on the card, interfaces with Win media center properly.  Good support and excellent performance.  I use Win 7/64 & an external antenna in the DC/Southern Maryland area & I get DC, Annapolis, and Baltimore channels depending where I point the antenna.

Don_S

« Reply #2 on: 25 May 2013, 11:59 pm »
Dave,

Thanks I will look at the Hauppauge products. They have so many it is confusing.  I do not need the top of the line two-tuner model. What is the purpose of the audio input(s)?

My (possibly flawed) understanding is all I would connect to the card is the antenna input. Then all audio and video connections would be made just like I have them now to my monitor and 2.1 speaker system.

srb

« Reply #3 on: 26 May 2013, 02:01 am »
My (possibly flawed) understanding is all I would connect to the card is the antenna input. Then all audio and video connections would be made just like I have them now to my monitor and 2.1 speaker system.

The internal tuner cards (and external tuner boxes) that have audio and video inputs are for recording audio and video from external sources such as game consoles, camcorders, etc.

For watching or recording TV all you need is an antenna connection.

Steve

Don_S

« Reply #4 on: 26 May 2013, 04:14 am »
Thanks Steve.