Any one gone in-wall?

Mr Peabody

Any one gone in-wall?
« on: 4 May 2012, 12:45 am »
In our living room I'm thinking of going with a cleaner look and having the 46" mounted on the wall, using a receiver mainly for switching sources and using in-walls for better sound.  Right now I just have the TV on a stand that was really built for a tube TV and just using the TV speakers.  I rarely watch TV in there but maybe more if the sound was better. 

I'm looking at using Revel in-wall, 780's for sides, looked at the Monitor Audio as well.  Most likely going with the Onkyo tx-sr515. 

If any one has in-wall how did you like them compared to box speakers?  I'm wondering about bass, I really don't want to use a sub just because it's mostly a family room.  My home theater is in another room.

Any thoughts on whether a center channel is best with this type of wall set up?  I'm thinking probably so but not sure since the sides may not be that far apart.

Fredly

Re: Any one gone in-wall?
« Reply #1 on: 4 May 2012, 12:41 pm »
I can't comment on all your questions, but I can unequivocally state that, in my honest opinion, the in-walls found at the Monoprice, match OR exceed the sound quality of some of its rivals costing 3-4 times as much.

To date I have installed a total of approx 11, in three different houses, and they continue to impress me.

Check the site out, and read the reviews.

They also have in wall subs, if you’re concerned about bass.

Cheers, Fred in Canada

http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10837

rpr2

Re: Any one gone in-wall?
« Reply #2 on: 18 May 2012, 10:33 pm »
Hello,
New to the forum.  I have the Paradigm Reference In-Walls as surrounds.  The SA-35's which are the largest.  They are excellent and the grills are paintable so they blend in really well.  Paradigm makes smaller versions too.  These may be a little pricey but well worth it.  There are several new in-wall subwoofers as well, but they are expensive.  The SA-35's or the smaller SA-25's have very solid bass performance down to about 42hz.  Good luck.

In our living room I'm thinking of going with a cleaner look and having the 46" mounted on the wall, using a receiver mainly for switching sources and using in-walls for better sound.  Right now I just have the TV on a stand that was really built for a tube TV and just using the TV speakers.  I rarely watch TV in there but maybe more if the sound was better. 

I'm looking at using Revel in-wall, 780's for sides, looked at the Monitor Audio as well.  Most likely going with the Onkyo tx-sr515. 

If any one has in-wall how did you like them compared to box speakers?  I'm wondering about bass, I really don't want to use a sub just because it's mostly a family room.  My home theater is in another room.
h
Any thoughts on whether a center channel is best with this type of wall set up?  I'm thinking probably so but not sure since the sides may not be that far apart.