3D Plasma's - anyone played around with them?

mcgsxr

3D Plasma's - anyone played around with them?
« on: 12 Mar 2012, 09:27 pm »
I have been enjoying the 42 Panny I bought 2 years ago.  We looked around at Christmas time to see what has developed since then, and lots of 3D sets out there.

Anyone have one?

I ask, as I won one today.  In Canada we have a coffee shop chain called Tim Hortons.  They run a 2x a year promotion where you roll up the rim of your coffee cup, and can win prizes like free coffee, donuts, TV's and cars.

I have never won anything more than a free coffee or donut.

Today, I roll it up - and it says Winner -3D TV.

Some Googling, and it appears that I will get a TC-P55VT30!

YAY for free 3D!   :thumb:

Comes with some all in one Blu Ray 3D Panny receiver HTIB, and 4 sets of the glasses.

cujobob

Re: 3D Plasma's - anyone played around with them?
« Reply #1 on: 12 Mar 2012, 09:29 pm »
4 sets of glasses is good! I can't remember for sure, but that model has active 3D I think...that's superior to the passive one in most ways. My friends who own them like the 3D a lot, but I can't say how often you'll really use it.

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #2 on: 13 Mar 2012, 03:48 am »
I'd say that's a pretty nice prize! They did not skimp on that one.

mcgsxr

« Reply #3 on: 13 Mar 2012, 11:42 am »
I agree, it is a pretty cool prize, and there are 100 up for grabs across the country.

I bet my kids spend lots of time watching it in 3D initially (it can convert 2D to 3D), but eventually the novelty of wearing the glasses will wear off, and only certain channels are broadcast in 3D over my satellite provider.

For me, it is more about the increase in screen, and the $ saved. 

It remains to be seen if I will be less impressed with the HTIB, but since that receiver has the built in 3D Blu Ray, I may have to use it as the receiver.  I can always swap out the speakers it uses for the ones I have mounted now (that will have to be moved).

It will take some time to sort it all out, but should be here by summer.

Good fun for the price of a coffee!

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #4 on: 13 Mar 2012, 01:22 pm »
Congrats on winning a great prize package.

I recently bought the Panny TC-P65VT30 and it is an outstanding TV.  Given how expensive the active shutter 3D glasses are, getting 4 sets is also fantastic.

The non-3D picture quality is as good as all the reviews say.  You can get some initial settings off of CNET or AVS Forum to help quickly dial in the picture.

We only have two sets of glasses, so it has been the kids primarily watching 3D.  We only have a handful of 3D Blurays discs, so most of the time they are converting 2D to 3D.  The kids are generally ok with wearing the glasses and the novelty hasn't worn off yet (we have had the set for about a month). 

While 3D works as advertised, it isn't enough of a change for me to want to wear the glasses and view it.  I am fine with sticking with 2D.

George

mcgsxr

« Reply #5 on: 28 Apr 2012, 09:00 pm »
After all the jumping through hoops and waiting for shipping, it arrived yesterday.

I was at work, sorry, no pics of the truck!

Below is the before, with the 42 plasma (now relocated to the master bedroom).

Below is the 55 up and running.  I am not using the 3D at all, but the kids are amused by it.

dwk

« Reply #6 on: 29 Apr 2012, 12:27 am »
Nice score!

We're probably facing a new screen purchase, and a 55-60" Panny plasma is likely at the top of the list. My one concern with plasma is that we watch a lot of hockey which my reading indicated might be a bit of an issue.  Since mcgsxr posted an appropriate photo I guess I can ask - how is the performance on hockey? Is there excessive brightness modulation, or should I not be concerned?

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #7 on: 29 Apr 2012, 01:33 am »
Nice score!

We're probably facing a new screen purchase, and a 55-60" Panny plasma is likely at the top of the list. My one concern with plasma is that we watch a lot of hockey which my reading indicated might be a bit of an issue.  Since mcgsxr posted an appropriate photo I guess I can ask - how is the performance on hockey? Is there excessive brightness modulation, or should I not be concerned?

I have been watching playoff hockey and it looks fantastic on my 65" Panny plasma.

Here's a picture of the setup (with Harry Potter, not hockey) in the daytime:

George

werd

« Reply #8 on: 29 Apr 2012, 02:19 am »
Congrats !

Nice tv. This last run on that promo I never even won a free coffee. I bought a lot of coffee too. Including a little dumpster diving in and around where I work when I seen an empty cup that wasn't played.  :lol:

Nice hit!

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #9 on: 29 Apr 2012, 12:53 pm »
Wow, that's pretty cool. Great score Mark.  :thumb:
I remember your build thread not being very long ago., This is a nice upgrade in a short time period. Very cool!

Bob

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #10 on: 29 Apr 2012, 01:04 pm »
3D FREE with no FEE, GEE!!!!!.......Nice win Mark!!!!! Free is always good!!

mcgsxr

« Reply #11 on: 29 Apr 2012, 01:08 pm »
Yup, 2 large coffees per day for roughly 20 years now, at least I got some of it back!

I have had a Panny plasma (42) for around 2.5 years now, and am an avid hockey fan (geez, could I be more Canadian eh?).  I have found the older Panny to be excellent for viewing hockey, and in the short amount of time I have had this newer 55, I am with George, the picture is great.

I am using the THX setting, which folks seem to think is a good compromise for brightness and colour detail etc.

Not using the 3D myself, but do have a Panny HTIB that came with the TV I could put into play, so the kids could get more of a 3D effect.  Our satellite provider runs 3D movies on pay per view on Tuesdays, so that will do for now.

It was really nice not to have to do all the work I did the first time when assembling this HT.  It was as simple as removing the 42, unbolting the bracket off the back, and putting it on the 55 and lifting it up.