Dynakit

Listens2tubes

Dynakit
« on: 10 Apr 2009, 04:17 am »
Sunday I noticed a snap coming from my right speaker along with a low level hum (head up to speaker grill) and after trying many different things I determined the quad cap was the culprit. So I called Kevin at Dynakit and made an appointment to pick up a pair of 80-40-30-20 quad caps. He showed me a newly assembled Stereo 35 which was really made me think. Not only can you get parts but you can rebuild or build a ST70, MkIII, MkIV or ST35 as a kit without having to scrounge anything. Plus he recommends people for assembly. What a great idea/service this is! :thumb: Kevin and I talked for a while and he asked me about my system. When I mentioned my T8 he was very complimentary of Frank and AVA gear. :D On the table behind the ST35 he pointed to a blue-print. It was the chassis drawings for Audio by Van Alstine, I remembered Frank posting this but seeing the drawings was really cool. 8) I have bought parts from Dynakit before but never went to check it out till this time. Definitely glad I did, I wish Kevin great success. :beer:

turkey

Re: Dynakit
« Reply #1 on: 10 Apr 2009, 12:38 pm »
Sunday I noticed a snap coming from my right speaker along with a low level hum (head up to speaker grill) and after trying many different things I determined the quad cap was the culprit. So I called Kevin at Dynakit and made an appointment to pick up a pair of 80-40-30-20 quad caps. He showed me a newly assembled Stereo 35 which was really made me think. Not only can you get parts but you can rebuild or build a ST70, MkIII, MkIV or ST35 as a kit without having to scrounge anything. Plus he recommends people for assembly. What a great idea/service this is! :thumb: Kevin and I talked for a while and he asked me about my system. When I mentioned my T8 he was very complimentary of Frank and AVA gear. :D On the table behind the ST35 he pointed to a blue-print. It was the chassis drawings for Audio by Van Alstine, I remembered Frank posting this but seeing the drawings was really cool. 8) I have bought parts from Dynakit before but never went to check it out till this time. Definitely glad I did, I wish Kevin great success. :beer:

I've seen their product, and it's good quality.

I don't do tubes, but if I did I might well get a Dynakit.

avahifi_lj

« Reply #2 on: 10 Apr 2009, 01:51 pm »
I recently built an Ultimate 70 using Kevin's Dynakit 70 parts.  The quality is very impressive!!

If you are going to the Detroit show in May you can see the amp in the Nate's Audio room.  He will be using this amp and other AVA equipment to demo his new speakers.

Larry

Zheeeem

« Reply #3 on: 10 Apr 2009, 02:58 pm »
I recently built an Ultimate 70 using Kevin's Dynakit 70 parts.  The quality is very impressive!!

If you are going to the Detroit show in May you can see the amp in the Nate's Audio room.  He will be using this amp and other AVA equipment to demo his new speakers.

Larry

Larry - a quick question.  From the looks of it, I could buy a ST-70 chassis and 3 transformers from Kevin, then get the rebuild kit and set of tubes from you guys, and I'd have everything I needed, rights?  Or am I missing something?  Jim

turkey

« Reply #4 on: 10 Apr 2009, 04:05 pm »
Larry - a quick question.  From the looks of it, I could buy a ST-70 chassis and 3 transformers from Kevin, then get the rebuild kit and set of tubes from you guys, and I'd have everything I needed, rights?  Or am I missing something?  Jim

You would likely need some pieces parts too, like fasteners, terminal strips, power cord, etc.

I hesitate to suggest this, given what ultimately happened with SCC when they supplied parts and Frank completed the units, but...

Maybe Kevin could be persuaded to sell an ST-70 kit minus the parts that are covered by the AVA kit? That would give Frank a source of new chassis at a (hopefully) reasonable price, and it would probably boost Kevin's sales too.

I know AVA has been working on a completely new Ultimate AVA-70 or whatever it would be called, but some people like the looks of the old Dyna amp.

avahifi_lj

« Reply #5 on: 10 Apr 2009, 05:09 pm »
Hi:

You can purchase the Ultimate upgrade, and just the needed parts from Kevin at Dynakit.  In addition to the transformers and chassis, you will need tube sockets, a choke, bias pots, power cord, hardware, etc.  A while back I posted on Audio Circle a complete inventory of what's needed from Dynakit.  I believe Kevin has the list, but if not, I can provide the information.

If you elect to start with a new chassis, you will need to combine the instructions on building the Dynakit 70 and the Ultimate 70 as the AVA instructions assume you have a built 70.  It should be pretty easy, however.

A couple of notes on the Dynakit parts:

The chassis is an exact copy of the Dyna chassis, but in polished stainless steel.  The power transformer is beefier than what Dyna originally used, but has the same footprint as the Dyna.  The audio transformers are based on the original Dyna design, and are very very nice.

Thanks,

Larry

rcag_ils

« Reply #6 on: 10 Apr 2009, 10:02 pm »
What's the Ultimate upgrade? I am not aware of any upgrade. If I buy the plan and circuit board, will it include the upgraded instruction in the plan?

Listens2tubes

« Reply #7 on: 10 Apr 2009, 11:16 pm »
:idea: I know this will sound heinous to some being a Dyna user/fan myself, but here goes. :shake: I would like a chassis without the front octal power socket. Reasons: 1-I will never have 2 PAM 1 preamps. 2-Less internal circuitry. The only thing my MkIV's should power is themselves. 3-Nice place to put two individual bias pots with a pin socket below each and a ground alligator clip to the left.  :thumb:

Since I'm airing my wishlist how about no hole for the bias pot on top - see reason 3 above, no slot for binding posts - binding posts have a round threaded base. OH and here's a crazy one: left and right oriented chassis's. Purely in dreamland for sure and not even for my setup but it just seems more ergonomic. :lol:

aa Enjoy!

Wayner

« Reply #8 on: 10 Apr 2009, 11:20 pm »
....wait

Brett Buck

« Reply #9 on: 10 Apr 2009, 11:28 pm »
The chassis is an exact copy of the Dyna chassis, but in polished stainless steel.  The power transformer is beefier than what Dyna originally used, but has the same footprint as the Dyna. 

And that solves some of the problems with older units pretty nicely. I used the new power transformer on the ex-Dyna U70 kit I built (because the original cloth leads on the B+ voltage had just turned to dust over the years, only an 1/8" gap was keeping 350V off the chassis!) and it ran noticeably cooler than the stock unit. I have an old chassis, but the other big problem with the original is that they rust. No problem with stainless steel.

To be honest, if I had it to do over again, it would be worth starting with new parts rather than rebuild an original. The U70 kit is easy enough to put together and integrate, but the original parts are usually in pretty horrifying shape at this point. It took far longer to clean up the chassis and parts, and redo 50-ish years of  heat damage to the rest of the amp, that it would have to build it from scratch. And you have to be very careful with the old parts, particularly the coveted cloth transformer leads on the output transformers, to keep from damaging them. I also damaged a few of the tube sockets trying to desolder them, fortunately you can use the bias lead sockets and get new ones, if necessary.

Brett
« Last Edit: 11 Apr 2009, 01:25 am by Brett Buck »

rlee8394

« Reply #10 on: 11 Apr 2009, 01:02 am »
Listens2tubes,
I know this will sound heinous to some being a Dyna user/fan myself, but here goes.  I would like a chassis without the front octal power socket.

Here you go:
http://store.triodestore.com/st70chassisnew.html

Ron

avahifi

« Reply #11 on: 11 Apr 2009, 02:19 pm »
As Wayne said, please wait.

We are working on a new Ultimate 70 chassis with Kevin of Dynakitparts.  It will include all the items on your "wish lists" to modernize the design.  Power switch on the front, input jacks on the back, provisions for all the transformer outputs (4, 8, and 16 ohm and a fit for double banana plugs too), separate jacks for bias adjustment, and no need for a cover cage because the live high voltage on the circuit board is protected from the user.  The finished PC card is done, just waiting for a prototype chassis in polished stainless from Kevin.

I hope we have it in time for the AK fest.  We will be displaying with Jim Salk on the first floor and in a decent size room for the first time, and our equipment will also be used by Nate Field who is showing off his amazing new mini-speakers on the third floor.

See you there on May 2nd and 3rd I hope.

Regards,

Frank

rcag_ils

« Reply #12 on: 11 Apr 2009, 04:06 pm »
Some members here mentioned "upgrade", is it a circuit upgrade, or they are just talking about "new chassis".

I still prefer to build it on an old or new "repro" Dyna chassis which I have plenty of them.

Will the "new chassis" version make the old kit obsolete or be unavailable?

avahifi_lj

« Reply #13 on: 11 Apr 2009, 04:14 pm »
Hi:

The new product is an Ultimate 70, but built on a board that mounts under the chassis to keep the high voltages away from the user.  We will continue to offer the Ultimate 70 upgrade in both a factory wired and kit version.  Musically they will sound the same.

Larry

rcag_ils

« Reply #14 on: 11 Apr 2009, 04:39 pm »
Forgive my ignorance, so does it mean the new board can ONLY be mounted under the chassis?

I have an old dyna chassis with cage, so can it still be mounted above the chassis? I prefer it to be above the chassis, just a personal preference.

avahifi_lj

« Reply #15 on: 11 Apr 2009, 04:51 pm »
Hi:

The Ultimate 70 upgrade is an above the chassis board.  The footprint of the board is the same as we used in the AVA Super 70 series.  The new amp we are looking will use a different board that was designed to fit below the chassis.

Thanks,

Larry

avahifi

« Reply #16 on: 11 Apr 2009, 06:38 pm »
To clarify.  The actual audio circuits used in the Ultimate 70 rebuild of the Dyna St-70 chassis, and the new board designed for a modernized chassis are identical.

However the actual PC card layouts are different to accommodate the requirements of the different mechanical chassis designs.  The two PC cards are not interchangeable.

Frank Van Alstine

Listens2tubes

« Reply #17 on: 11 Apr 2009, 08:29 pm »
 :duh: I should have REALLY STUDIED those blue print drawings. :oops:

turkey

« Reply #18 on: 11 Apr 2009, 09:51 pm »
To clarify.  The actual audio circuits used in the Ultimate 70 rebuild of the Dyna St-70 chassis, and the new board designed for a modernized chassis are identical.

However the actual PC card layouts are different to accommodate the requirements of the different mechanical chassis designs.  The two PC cards are not interchangeable.

Frank Van Alstine

Then I think you need to start referring to the new amp with updated chassis by a new name. Maybe make the model number 2170 for 21st century 70.

It should obviously still be an Ultimate, but some other part of the name needs to change to avoid confusion.

BTW, I feel the T-8 should be an Ultimate too, since it represents your very best design using all tubes. The Transcendence Series, to me, has always meant your best performing equipment - no holds barred (and either discrete/hybrid SS or FetValve) . Your best performing equipment is now the Ultra Series, so maybe it's time to retire the Transcendence moniker.

I suppose you could bring back equipment with discrete voltage stages and IC current buffers. I've always kind of wondered what that would be like if you had kept working on that type of thing.

It would still get confusing because the Insight+ amps are probably the equivalent of the old Transcendence amps, but I do like the Insight name and think it's very suitable and should be kept.

Forgive my maundering. Today must be nostalgia day or something. :)

rcag_ils

« Reply #19 on: 11 Apr 2009, 10:19 pm »
I am not trying to be smart, but I guess my question was, and still is:

What is the difference between the first generation Ultimate 70 circuit, and the Ultimate 70 upgrade circuit? Now that I know that they both can be mounted above the chassis in DIY kit form.

I've really tried hard to make my question clear.