New member from CA

ElMuchacho

• Fitness, Hi-Fi Audio and Technology is my passion
New member from CA
« on: 5 Aug 2021, 07:23 am »
Hello there, new member from Southern California. I have a guide dog named Decatur and enjoy lifting/ Calisthenics. I heard about Audio Circle from some of the YouTube channels that I follow and finally decided to register. I am fairly new to Hi-Fi, purchased my first stereo about 5 months ago. I enjoy researching and look forward to expand my knowledge and contribute to the forum.

Lately what has been on my mind to improve my stereo is room treatments. This is a subject that is new to me. I am considering DIY room treatments as it seems more cost effective.

My stereo system:
Outlaw Audio RR2160MKII, Elac Audio UB52 2.0 on Monolith 32" stands. Currently streaming from Amazon music and Spotify with the built-in streaming feature on the integrated amplifier.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: New member from CA
« Reply #1 on: 5 Aug 2021, 11:58 am »
Welcome!

After loudspeakers the room is the most important component.  The room should be of decent size and shape as well as being insulated.  My basement room is 8ft x 13ft x 21ft (Fibonacci ratios to minimize echo), size limited by the ratios and available ceiling height, and is well insulated (don't forget the door and ductwork).  Hard to fix a "bad" room.  My mistake was installing recessed can light fixtures (that transmit sound to the spaces above).

Setup is also critical.  Loudspeakers should be symmetrical to the listener, away from walls.  The listening position should also be away from walls, the best is 6-10 feet away.  Don't be afraid to experiment.  I prefer tweeters to be at ear height, thus monitors are ideal.  Floyd Toole, respected audiologist, recommends use of 4 subwoofers in the corners or midpoint of walls to tame inherent bass peaks/dips which can easily be 20-30 dB.

Diffusion is limited to higher frequencies, roughly 1100 Hz and higher due to those pesky laws of physics.  The key to absorption is the material.  Shop strictly by the numbers, not appearance or intuition.  Avoid egg crates or foam.  Owens Corning 703, high density fiberglass is the best, Roxul is OK.  I have ten GIK (find them here at Audio Circle) 244 panels which are of little benefit in my nicely shaped room but do wonders in other spaces. 

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 5 Aug 2021, 12:34 pm »
Welcome tô AC.  :thumb:

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 5 Aug 2021, 12:50 pm »
Welcome!

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #4 on: 5 Aug 2021, 06:39 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC ElMuchacho   :thumb:

ElMuchacho

• Fitness, Hi-Fi Audio and Technology is my passion
« Reply #5 on: 7 Aug 2021, 07:41 am »
Welcome!

After loudspeakers the room is the most important component.  The room should be of decent size and shape as well as being insulated.  My basement room is 8ft x 13ft x 21ft (Fibonacci ratios to minimize echo), size limited by the ratios and available ceiling height, and is well insulated (don't forget the door and ductwork).  Hard to fix a "bad" room.  My mistake was installing recessed can light fixtures (that transmit sound to the spaces above).

Setup is also critical.  Loudspeakers should be symmetrical to the listener, away from walls.  The listening position should also be away from walls, the best is 6-10 feet away.  Don't be afraid to experiment.  I prefer tweeters to be at ear height, thus monitors are ideal.  Floyd Toole, respected audiologist, recommends use of 4 subwoofers in the corners or midpoint of walls to tame inherent bass peaks/dips which can easily be 20-30 dB.

Diffusion is limited to higher frequencies, roughly 1100 Hz and higher due to those pesky laws of physics.  The key to absorption is the material.  Shop strictly by the numbers, not appearance or intuition.  Avoid egg crates or foam.  Owens Corning 703, high density fiberglass is the best, Roxul is OK.  I have ten GIK (find them here at Audio Circle) 244 panels which are of little benefit in my nicely shaped room but do wonders in other spaces.

Hello,
thanks for all that information. I have played with speaker placement. Currently, I believe that the speakers are 8" from each other and the hot seat is about 8Ft away from front baffle. Also, there is about 2.5Ft from the back wall to the rear of the speaker. The side walls are far from speakers, I would say about 7Ft. There is a 10" subwoofer behind each stand.

Open to all suggestions. :D This is my first system and enjoying all the tweaking especially the cost-free one's.

Thanks for the warm wellcome all!