Demonstration Worthy Classical Recordings

Desertpilot

• Retired
Re: Demonstration Worthy Classical Recordings
« Reply #40 on: 2 Aug 2021, 01:29 pm »
I don't know how to insert a photo of the cover art, but I'm absolutely in love with sound of the recordings made by The Orchestra of the Eighteenth Century on the Glossa label. Through Roon and Qobuz I discovered the set of these Beethoven symphonies, live from Rotterdam, 2011. These are done on original or remakes of period instruments. Violins have a drop dead gorgeous feathery sound due to using all gut strings and convex vs. concave bows. Horns are valveless
Flutes are made of wood vs. metal. I really can't tell but the tuning might be more like A=438 vs. A=440. The timbre of the period instruments influences the orchestral balance and thus the interpretation. Recordings are from a mid-hall perspective and not bright or strident. These are oh so beautiful and must hear recordings.

Al

Thanks Al,

On Qobuz search for Glossa Beethoven.

Here is the album cover.

Marcus

abomwell

« Reply #41 on: 2 Aug 2021, 03:39 pm »
Marcus, how do you post the cover art?

Thanks!

Al

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #42 on: 2 Aug 2021, 05:27 pm »

Thanks!

Al

The way I do it is to save the cover art (JPG file) to my hard drive.  When you compose your post, look below for "upload and insert an image".  Click on it and select "image file to upload".  Then select "choose file" and navigate to the cover art on your hard drive.  Select it.  Then select "upload and insert image".  You're done.

Marcus

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #43 on: 2 Aug 2021, 05:36 pm »

Thanks!

Al
To insert an external image without store it in your PC press the Mona Lisa icon at top right (insert image).

abomwell

« Reply #44 on: 2 Aug 2021, 08:23 pm »
Great!

Many thanks,

Al

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #45 on: 2 Aug 2021, 10:56 pm »
Wölfl: Piano Sonata in C minor, Andante & Variations, Piano Sonata in B minor, Waltz in C minor
Spee: 3 Intermezzi

Mattias Spee (piano)

Evaluate your system for solo Piano.

I've been searching around for a solo piano album I thought worthy to list here.  I think I finally found one.  Young artist and an unknown composer. Joseph Wölfl.  Let's talk about the composer.  What a fascinating story.  He was a contemporary of Beethoven.  In fact, he was engaged in piano duels with Beethoven (a popular entertainment for nobility at that time).  Wölfl was extremely popular throughout Europe both for composition and piano performances.  The pdf liner notes has the whole story.  Fascinating.  The artist, Mattias Spee, is an up and comer in the piano performance world.  His performance on this album is excellent.

HR Audio, Adrian Quanjer, "All I can say is that Mattias Spee has opened a treasure trove with this first volume in the TRPTK Eclipse series “of unjustly forgotten composers”. I do not know what is to follow, but in the meantime whet your appetite with this one, you won’t be disappointed.

Brendon Heinst guarantees the best possible sound (recorded in DXD 352.8 kHz 32 bits)."

Tech Specs:
Available as a CD, SACD and download (2.0 or 5.0).
-- Download from Native DSD all PCM, DSD, sample rates plus 24/352.8 DXD (FLAC).
-- To get the original recording format 32/352.8 DXD, go to the TRPTK website.  This is a WAV file only.
Sample tracks and free copy of the pdf file of liner notes at Native DSD.
Original Recording Format:  DXD
Venue: Muziekcentrum van de Omroep (MCO) in Hilversum, Netherlands
Recording Date: February 5-7, 2021
Release Date: 6/9/2021
Mastering Engineer:  Brendon Heinst (co founder of TRPTK).
trptk  TTK0073
Steinway Model D-274 Concert Grand Piano

Download:  https://www.nativedsd.com/catalogue/albums/ttk0073-eclipse-volume-1/

Qobuz:  Search for Joseph Wölfl.  Select "see all releases".  Select "Eclipse Vol. 1".  24/88.2 stereo

What's so great about this album?  The performance and the music are excellent.  The melody is outstanding but won't put you to sleep.  What is really important to me is the sound of the piano.  Very percussive.  Also, I love the detail.  You can hear the decay of the piano notes.  No distortion in the low bass notes or the high treble notes. 

The sound engineer, Brendon Heinst, is dedicated to sonic perfection.  There are several YouTube videos about him.  Here's a link to one of the videos in which he discusses his mastering/editing room and equipment.  Enjoy:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYCYGlm358Q

Marcus

« Last Edit: 6 Dec 2021, 05:10 pm by Desertpilot »

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #46 on: 5 Aug 2021, 04:26 pm »
I've pretty much listed recordings I consider demonstration worthy.  But, I do not want to let the thread die off.  So, if members do not mind, I would like to continue to list exceptional classical recordings.

Marcus

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #47 on: 5 Aug 2021, 04:57 pm »
Arvo Pärt: Stabat Mater

Gloriæ Dei Cantores, Choir
Richard K. Pugsley, Conductor

Evaluate your system for choir.

Sure, this is sacred music.  But, I think you will discover the beauty of the choir voices through the entire album.  What I really like about this choir is the depth of voices to include tenors and baritones.  Track number 2, "L'abbe Agathon", is my favorite.  The soprano can reach beautifully up high.  This will give you insight in to your system's capabilities.

The group also released a very well received Rachmaninoff: (Pugsley) All Night Vigil, Op. 37.  Here is a teaser/trailer for this work:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjFi_g_iOIY.

Of course, the earlier Rachmaninoff: (Bruffy) All Night Vigil, Op 37, recording is also excellent.  Here is the teaser/trailer:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fm1nYApgCk.

Stabat Mater has received many glowing reviews:

HR Audio Review by Mark Werlin:  "For all lovers of contemporary sacred choral music, and as an alternative perspective on the music of Arvo Pärt, this recording is highly recommended."
Classics Today Review by: David Vernier:  "But the proof is in the singing, and here you have it–in an exemplary “American” sound that contrasts distinctly with the Estonian, German, and British choirs who’ve also championed Pärt’s music. If you’re a choral music fan, you already have Pärt in your life; if you’re new to his music, you can happily start here..."
GBOpera.it:  "Gloriae Dei Cantores…under the direction of Richard K. Pugsley, interprets these works with great technical mastery (homogenity, attention to dynamics, phrasing)… creating pure atmospheres of enchantment, which truly touch the heart and soul of the listener, transporting them to a high and profound spiritual dimension."

Tech Specs:
Available as CD, SACD, and download.
Original Recording Format DSD64
-- Download from Native DSD all PCM, DSD, sample rates plus 24/352.8 DXD (FLAC).
Venue: Church of the Transfiguration in Orleans, MA
Date of Recording:  September 2018, May 2019 & September 2019
Release Date:  April 10, 2020
Recording Engineer:  Brad Michel (known for superior choir recordings) and Dan Pfeiffer

Download:  https://www.nativedsd.com/catalogue/albums/gdcd065-stabat-mater/

Qobuz:  Search for Gloriæ Dei Cantores.  24/176.4 Stereo

Marcus

« Last Edit: 6 Dec 2021, 05:11 pm by Desertpilot »

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #48 on: 6 Aug 2021, 12:25 am »
I've pretty much listed recordings I consider demonstration worthy.  But, I do not want to let the thread die off.  So, if members do not mind, I would like to continue to list exceptional classical recordings.

Marcus
Fantastique, I thank you immensely if you could post something when you can spare your time, I could mention famous classics titles, but I couldnt make an analysis that these works deserve due to incompetence and too small free time.

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #49 on: 7 Aug 2021, 11:27 pm »
Korngold: Symphony, Theme and Variations, Straussiana

Sinfonia of London
John Wilson (conductor)

Evaluate your system for Orchestra.

The conductor reconstituted the Sinfonia of London in 2018.  The orchestra is composed of the best musicians from a variety of orchestras assembled for studio recordings.  They certainly have met that task with several excellent albums including this one.  The composer became famous for early film scores.  In fact, as you listen to this recording, you might think it is a film score from time to time.

HR Audio review by Graham Williams, "The playing of the orchestra is clean, lean and superbly disciplined throughout. The scherzo, for example, is played with breathtaking precision and confidence – a whirlwind tour de force. The third movement (Adagio, Lento - Con tristezza) flows convincingly even at a tempo seemingly in conflict with the markings given above, but thanks to the eloquent string playing, both the gravity and ardour inherent in the music is never short changed."

John Quinn of Music Web International,  "When I first listened to the new John Wilson recording, I was taken aback – in a good way – by the biting drama and tension in the performance of the first movement, qualities which are enhanced by a detailed and potent Chandos recording."

Tech Specs:
Available as CD, SACD, and download
Download 2.0 or 5.0 at Chandos: https://www.chandos.net/products/catalogue/CHAN%205220
Venue: Church of S. Augustine, Kilburn, London
Recording Date: 14 – 16 January 2019
Release Date:  7/24/2019
Sound Engineer: Ralph Couzens; Jonathan Cooper & James Unwin

Qobuz:  search for "Sinfonia of London", select "see all releases", all of the recent albums are listed including this one.

I really love this symphony.  It is lively and engaging.  All four movements are lovely and somewhat different.  You won't get bored with it.  Sonics are excellent.

Marcus

« Last Edit: 6 Dec 2021, 05:11 pm by Desertpilot »

Randy

« Reply #50 on: 8 Aug 2021, 12:31 am »
If you like more "modern" orchestral works, this is great as are a couple of other of CDs of his music.

isaacc7

« Reply #51 on: 8 Aug 2021, 03:52 pm »
I find myself listening to more Indian classical music than western these days. A truly stunning recording is "Surround Yourself with Hindustani Ragas" on the Nimbus label. It is available as a DVD-A release. Nimbus used their ambiasonic mic to record these in surround sound. I've never listened to this in surround, I ripped the stereo mix and I listen from my computer. It is a native 24/48 recording and it is fabulous. The timbre of the instruments is palpable and the space of the performance is quite evident.

The music itself is mesmerizing. If you're not familiar with Hindustani classical it can take some time to get used to it but I found these performances to be very approachable and easy to immerse myself in them. I think these are pretty easy to get into because they are all solo instruments with a rhythm backing as opposed to a complex arrangement of an orchestra or something. The ragas (and Hindustani classical in general as far as I can tell) are all about melodic construction and exploration. A big difference between western and Indian classical is that Indian music doesn't use functional harmony to express things or guide the listener.

Give it a try, if nothing else it is fantastic hi fi demo album.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #52 on: 8 Aug 2021, 06:42 pm »

https://www.discogs.com/Korngold-Deutsches-Symphonie-Orchester-Berlin-Rundfunk-Sinfonieorchester-Berlin-John-Mauceri-Between/release/2676891

Between Two Worlds: Judgement Day
Alexander Frey, piano
Berlin Radio Symphony Orchestra - John Mauceri
German Symphony Orchestra, Berlin - John Mauceri
London Entartete Musik series 
London Classics 444 170-2
Total timing 76:13

Recorded in 1994/95 released in US 1996
Recording Locations:
Jesus Christus Kirche, Berlin Dahlem, April 1994 (Opp.39 & 42)
Funk Haus Nalepa Straße, Berlin Köpenick, April 1995 (Between Two Worlds)

Thanks for reminder me from Korngold he was a great film soundtrack composer, I recommend this CD that I especially like due these pieces Korngold composed for the Judgement Day movie from 1944, these 14 tracks was not all the music Korngold composed for this film just what Me.John Mauceri selected.

Here perfomed by Rundfunk Sinfonie Orchester Berlin under John Mauceri for the London's Entartete Musik series that was a series of musical works and composers suppressed by the Third Reich, recorded in 1994/95 released in US 1996 by London Classics 444 170-2, unfortunately the recording was not great by current DSD and hi rate PCM standards just the regular Decca sound, propably 24/96 multi-miking.

glfrancis

« Reply #53 on: 8 Aug 2021, 08:38 pm »
Never mind. Carry on

Craig B

« Reply #54 on: 9 Aug 2021, 11:38 am »
For those interested in exploring adventurous avant-garde classical, I highly recommend this redbook recording of George Crumb's A Haunted Landscape. It's not a hi-res recording, but its sound rivals or even betters many of my SACDs and hi-res downloads.

It's the NY Phil under Arthur Weisberg, on New World, catalog no. NW80326, recorded live before an audience. The work was actually commissioned by the NYP.

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #55 on: 9 Aug 2021, 05:15 pm »
Ståle Kleiberg: Concertos

Marianne Thorsen, violin
Eivind Ringstad, viola
Fredrik Sjölin, cello
Trondheim Symphony Orchestra
Peter Szilvay, conductor

Evaluate your system for Violin, Cello and Viola.

2L is high up on my list of superb recording companies.  MORTEN LINDBERG is an exceptional recording/mixing engineer.  In fact, aside from SACD and downloads, he is pioneering the use of Blu Ray Audio discs to offer Auro 3D and Dolby ATMOS versions of the music.  The physical disc won't be available until September 2021.  However the download version is available now from Native DSD.  They offer all the usual PCM/DSD/DXD formats.  I chose to download it in the original recording format 24/352.8 (FLAC) version.

I am a Kleiberg fan ever since the release of his “Treble & Bass” album. This new offer is called a follow-on to it. Kleiberg never disappoints with adding lots of bass instruments to provide his music with power and depth. These concertos are no exception. I've listened to the recording many times now. Each time, I come away with the feeling that maybe I can listen to it one more time.

All three solo instruments, Violin, Viola and Cello are given plenty of music to play with a wonderful accompaniment by the Trondheim Symphony. Thorsen comes through again with sweet melodies. It’s wonderful how she can hold a single note for seemingly an eternity allowing the listener to dwell on the music’s deeper meaning. She follows up with a strong and aggressive play which will keep you paying attention. Ringstad’s viola playing is also first rate. Like Thorsen, he commands the instrument, even through strong orchestra accompaniment. Horns are added to provide thrilling moments in all three tracks. Lastly, Sjölin’s cello brings you to that sad awareness of man’s inhumanity through ethnic cleansing. All in all, the entire album is powerful yet melodic giving the listener an emotional connection.

HR Audio Review by Adrian Quanjer:   "...Ståle Kleiberg is the perfect antidote. The many colours of his music have a soothing effect allowing the listener to come to terms with what was and cherish whatever is still in store. Enjoy!  ...Needless to say, that Marten Lyndberg, 2L’s sound wizard, has spared no effort to get the full frequency spectrum across without any hint of distortion. So, don’t spare your speakers. Listen to the music and forget about the neighbours. They might actually like it as much as I did!"

Tech Specs:
Available as CD, SACD, Blu Ray and download.
Original recording format:  24/352.8
Read about the recording plus a bunch of photos and orchestra layout at 2L:  http://www.2l.no/
Download here:  https://www.nativedsd.com/catalogue/albums/2l166-stale-kleiberg-concertos/
Available on Qobuz:  Search for Ståle Kleiberg.  All his recordings come up in 24 bit/44.1 kHz.  Don't forget to check out his 2007 recording Kleiberg: Treble & Bass Concertos.
Editing, Mix and Mastering MORTEN LINDBERG
Catalog #2L166
Venue:  Olavshallen, Trondheim, Norway
Recording Date:  June and August 2020
Release Date: Download, August 2021, physical disc, September 2021.

Go to Qobuz and take a listen.  You won't be disappointed.

Marcus

« Last Edit: 6 Dec 2021, 05:13 pm by Desertpilot »

glfrancis

« Reply #56 on: 9 Aug 2021, 06:11 pm »
Thanks to this thread,  I am listening to Van Baerle Trio (saint saens in f major). Loving everything that trio does! Thank you, 1000x thank you

glfrancis

« Reply #57 on: 9 Aug 2021, 08:02 pm »
I find myself listening to more Indian classical music than western these days. A truly stunning recording is "Surround Yourself with Hindustani Ragas" on the Nimbus label. It is available as a DVD-A release. Nimbus used their ambiasonic mic to record these in surround sound. I've never listened to this in surround, I ripped the stereo mix and I listen from my computer. It is a native 24/48 recording and it is fabulous. The timbre of the instruments is palpable and the space of the performance is quite evident.

The music itself is mesmerizing. If you're not familiar with Hindustani classical it can take some time to get used to it but I found these performances to be very approachable and easy to immerse myself in them. I think these are pretty easy to get into because they are all solo instruments with a rhythm backing as opposed to a complex arrangement of an orchestra or something. The ragas (and Hindustani classical in general as far as I can tell) are all about melodic construction and exploration. A big difference between western and Indian classical is that Indian music doesn't use functional harmony to express things or guide the listener.

Give it a try, if nothing else it is fantastic hi fi demo album.

Do you have a link, especially qobuz or tidal if necessary? I enjoy that music

isaacc7

« Reply #58 on: 10 Aug 2021, 01:47 am »
Do you have a link, especially qobuz or tidal if necessary? I enjoy that music

I don't think it's available for streaming I'm afraid. Only physical copy. I'm hoping now that Apple is offering ATMOS streaming they will bring it to the streaming services.

abomwell

« Reply #59 on: 14 Aug 2021, 12:39 pm »

[/img]

Composers Collection, Grainger, North Texas Wind Symphony. If you like wind band music, here a wonderful recording of one of the best composers for the genre, Percy Grainger, played by the North Texas Wind Symphony. Lincolnshire Posy is, IMO, one of, if not the greatest composition ever written for wind band.

BTW, this is my first attempt at uploading cover art so I hope it works.

Al