Bryston 4B SST2 won't turn on (resolved)

cheater

Bryston 4B SST2 won't turn on (resolved)
« on: 26 Jul 2021, 01:29 am »
Hi all,
I've got a set of PMC-branded Bryston SST2 electronics here (2x 10B, 3B, 4B, 2x7B). They're the set that came with my PMC speakers. I tried to turn on my electronics now and I find that the 4B doesn't light up. In addition, the fuse switch was set to off. Turning it back on, the lights still don't turn on, there's no click (which normally occured), and the amplifier doesn't respond to anything. Is there something I might be missing? All the electronics stand together and they're on the same power strip, so it's unusual that this would happen like that. Is there some sort of fuse I might have to replace, other than the main fuse switch?

The electronics left the factory in 2009.

Thanks

Edit: turns out the resettable fuse turned itself off due to an internal short, from a drop of water falling into the power supply. To reset it, you have to turn it on with the mains cord pulled, otherwise you will switch it to the "on" position, but internally it'll still be off. The amp wasn't broken at all!
« Last Edit: 5 Aug 2021, 05:48 pm by cheater »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Bryston 4B SST2 won't turn on
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jul 2021, 10:29 am »
Hi all,
I've got a set of PMC-branded Bryston SST2 electronics here (2x 10B, 3B, 4B, 2x7B). They're the set that came with my PMC speakers. I tried to turn on my electronics now and I find that the 4B doesn't light up. In addition, the fuse switch was set to off. Turning it back on, the lights still don't turn on, there's no click (which normally occured), and the amplifier doesn't respond to anything. Is there something I might be missing? All the electronics stand together and they're on the same power strip, so it's unusual that this would happen like that. Is there some sort of fuse I might have to replace, other than the main fuse switch?

The electronics left the factory in 2009.

Thanks

Hi

For safety reasons make sure the amplifier is unplugged from the power - then turn on the switch at the rear of the amplifier - then plug the power back in the wall - then power the front switch.

Also if the amp has a TRIGGER switch on the back make sure it is NOT in the trigger position.

james

cheater

« Reply #2 on: 26 Jul 2021, 10:35 am »
Hi

For safety reasons make sure the amplifier is unplugged from the power - then turn on the switch at the rear of the amplifier - then plug the power back in the wall - then power the front switch.

Also if the amp has a TRIGGER switch on the back make sure it is NOT in the trigger position.

james

Hi James, thanks, tried that, the lights on the front don't light up at all, neither red or green, and I can't hear the relays cut out. Could the fuse switch itself have broken? Alternatively it's the PSU gone.

No Trigger switch wired in, the connector is unused.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 26 Jul 2021, 11:19 am »
Ok you may have to contact PMC then - sounds like there may be an issue with the amplifier.

james

cheater

« Reply #4 on: 26 Jul 2021, 12:56 pm »
Definitely an issue. Who would I talk to over there?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #5 on: 26 Jul 2021, 02:18 pm »
Definitely an issue. Who would I talk to over there?

Tom Barron <Tom@pmc-speakers.com>

cheater

« Reply #6 on: 27 Jul 2021, 02:57 am »
Thanks a lot James, sent Tom an email.

cheater

« Reply #7 on: 5 Aug 2021, 05:47 pm »
Hi James,
after a thorough inspection, I first thought that some logic got fried inside the power supply board. However, as it turns out, the resettable fuse (the "main switch" as it were) will not turn on with the mains power plugged in! This had me chasing my tail for a while. You mentioned it here, but I disregarded it (I thought this was merely a safety precaution), and Michael at your service had to hammer it home a few times before I tried it. Turns out the amplifier is still perfectly fine.

One complication was that after plugging it in and turning on the fuse, it didn't work, and then I spoke to Michael and opened it up and inspected it (I'm a technician myself). I flipped the fuse switch a few times with the mains cord pulled. That turned it on. Then, when I went to test if it's fine, the multimeter told me that the fuse was conducting. So that made me suspect an issue further down, but in fact, there was no issue. I hadn't tried turning the amp on (with mains plugged in) until Michael asked me a few times.

Lesson to be learned: If that fuse looks like it's on, it might still be off internally.

Could have used a small notice on the back near the switch mentioning that :-)

Everything worked out fine and other than wasting Michael's time a bit it didn't produce any costs.

Thanks a lot! Really loved the service.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
Re: Bryston 4B SST2 won't turn on (resolved)
« Reply #8 on: 5 Aug 2021, 07:29 pm »
Great news :thumb:

cheater

Re: Bryston 4B SST2 won't turn on (resolved)
« Reply #9 on: 5 Aug 2021, 11:36 pm »
Aye :)