Andrew Jones

trianglezerius

Andrew Jones
« on: 20 Jul 2021, 11:55 am »
s it true he is moving on from Elac?

RDavidson

Re: Andrew Jones
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jul 2021, 06:38 pm »
Eh...do you have an article or something from which you've read this info, which is apparently just a rumor? Not sure how anyone here could answer your question anyway. Even Andrew himself might not be able to release this "news" until he is actually separated from Elac. :lol:

trianglezerius

« Reply #2 on: 20 Jul 2021, 07:19 pm »
It is on FB in the Elac group.

SET Man

« Reply #3 on: 21 Jul 2021, 03:05 am »
Hey!

Maybe some company offered him more money? I'm sure the new company he ended up with will come out with a new "flavor" of the month speaker(s) by him and will be all the rage on the YouTube. And of course people will dump their Elac for the new one. And the cycle continue on....

Buddy

PS
   I'm amazed of how many speaker models Elac had! :o

RDavidson

« Reply #4 on: 21 Jul 2021, 02:10 pm »
It is on FB in the Elac group.

Unless Elac or Andrew posted the info, it is only rumor and speculation. If he is leaving Elac, I'm really not surprised. He was probably hired under contract to create a speaker line. Now that the job is done, he's free to take the next contract at Elac or elsewhere.

And from Elac's perspective, they may feel they've learned what they needed from Andrew. I'm certain they have competent engineers who will continue to improve and evolve what he started. There are less famous, but equally smart and talented speaker designers in the world. Most folks, even audio enthusiasts, probably had no idea who Andrew Jones was until Pioneer started advertising his name. Not bashing him in any way. Just saying the wheels won't come off the bus because 1 guy left.
« Last Edit: 24 Jul 2021, 06:49 am by RDavidson »

garyalex

Randy

« Reply #6 on: 21 Jul 2021, 07:17 pm »
When I saw him in an interview say he does no listening tests on his speaker designs, I wrote him off permanently.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #7 on: 21 Jul 2021, 07:56 pm »
:green:
« Last Edit: 24 Jul 2021, 02:50 pm by opnly bafld »

toocool4

« Reply #8 on: 21 Jul 2021, 09:06 pm »
Unfortunately the real speaker designer Mr. Jones (Phil)

That’s a bit harsh, both are good designers. Checkout what Andrew Jones did with TAD.

The first high-end speakers I like but could not afford at the time was the Acoustic Energy AE-1 with it’s matching stands, designed by Phil Jones.

tull skull

• I can't send hare in search of anything!
« Reply #9 on: 21 Jul 2021, 09:21 pm »
Unfortunately the real speaker designer Mr. Jones (Phil) only makes bass guitar products now. 
Scroll down here  https://www.pjbworld.com/cms/index.php/about/

:green:

Phil has several home speaker designs he sells on his site.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #10 on: 21 Jul 2021, 09:32 pm »
That’s a bit harsh, both are good designers.

Yes, I agree.
I hoped the big green grin would indicate I was joking.
« Last Edit: 24 Jul 2021, 02:52 pm by opnly bafld »

Chewbacca

« Reply #11 on: 21 Jul 2021, 10:36 pm »
When I saw him in an interview say he does no listening tests on his speaker designs, I wrote him off permanently.

I can hardly believe this... A car engineer that never drove his cars? A cocktail bartender that never tried his/her drinks? A baker that never tried his bread? A chef who never tried his soup?... man, I'm getting hungry. What were we talking about? :lol:

Seriously though... Not just the design aspect of it and "perfecting" a speaker, or finding actual issues that charts and measurements can't (always) find.... but the simple fact of listening to your creation?! Why wouldn't you want that?! That would be the most fun part!! See it literally take it's first breath of life!
:wtf:

RDavidson

« Reply #12 on: 24 Jul 2021, 06:48 am »
If it is true that A. Jones doesn't listen to his creations, I'm sure someone would have video or written an article about this somewhere. There's a lot of context missing in that statement...like most "news" these days.

MarvinTheMartian

« Reply #13 on: 24 Jul 2021, 01:15 pm »

Not true at all, in every AJ interview I have listened to he declares …
“I  never listen to an early prototype that measures like crap because I know it will sound like crap.”
"Once the prototype measures up to my standards then the listening <> subtle refinement cycle begins."

Sounds like a very smart man to me.
Shawn

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #14 on: 24 Jul 2021, 01:59 pm »
So, can you link us to the interview you just referenced?  I'd like to see it.

As far as breaking news stories on the Facebook.....really? Now I'll need 2 other independent press releases to confirm it before I believe it. Watch out for doctored videos!  :D

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #15 on: 24 Jul 2021, 11:02 pm »

Not true at all, in every AJ interview I have listened to he declares …
“I  never listen to an early prototype that measures like crap because I know it will sound like crap.”
"Once the prototype measures up to my standards then the listening <> subtle refinement cycle begins."

Sounds like a very smart man to me.
Shawn

That's the quote I remember.

toocool4

« Reply #16 on: 25 Jul 2021, 10:43 am »
Letitroll98 I believe I have heard this quote before, it may have been in one of Steve Guttenberg’s interviews with Andrew Jones.