HPA-9 Headphones/external amplifier off?

Genez

HPA-9 Headphones/external amplifier off?
« on: 8 Dec 2017, 08:57 am »
When listening to the HPA-9 with headphones... how does one shut off signal going to the external amplifier connected to the speakers?  I plug in the headphones but the speakers are still on. 

Thanks..

RafaPolit

• www.rafaelpolit.com
Re: HPA-9 Headphones/external amplifier off?
« Reply #1 on: 8 Dec 2017, 02:39 pm »
I think that is the designed behavior.  I remember reading somewhere that it is to avoid extra components and switches in the signal path.   You just mute your pre or amp, or switch to a different input. Are you connecting directly to the amp or to an intermediate equipment like DAC or something else?

Genez

« Reply #2 on: 9 Dec 2017, 04:00 am »
I was trying to use the HPA9 as also a preamp.     I guess that answered my question.  Thanks

rustydoglim

« Reply #3 on: 21 Dec 2017, 07:48 pm »
Yes, adding the switch degrades performance and complicates the design because HPA-9 has dual headphone outputs and can also be configured as mono.

Genez

« Reply #4 on: 21 Dec 2017, 11:23 pm »
Thanks Jason...

How can it be configured for mono?    Who would need that? 

As far as the other situation,  I simply use the front power button on the ST-10 to put it in standby when I want just phones. 

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #5 on: 22 Dec 2017, 05:00 pm »
The HPA-9 is a lovely unit, clear, detailed, and dynamic.  I was really irritated with the lack of an "off" when you plugged in headphones.  I've never owned a product with a headphone jack that didn't mute when you plugged in a headphone until I had an HPA-9, and I've had audio products since the sixties.  I wonder how all of those products engineered it without degrading performance.

Genez

« Reply #6 on: 22 Dec 2017, 05:43 pm »
It will sound better that way.

But, for practicality, another option I believe could have been designed into it.  Even providing a manual way of turning a knob rather than having the preamp output cut off done when the HP plug is inserted. From what I understand, the plug insertion way will develop contact problems over time, degrading the sound.   

My NuForce HAP 100 has a function that will manually cut off the preamp output using the remote.  That avoided the potential for degrading the electrical contacts because of the plug inserting cut off method.

But... the HPA9 does make my Sennheiser HD 650's sound very good.  Better than the HAP 100.  And, sounds also better as a preamp. 

Now if NuPrime would someday use their beautiful volume control in the next HPA-9 upgrade... and possibly provide true balanced inputs and outputs?  I would snatch it up. It probably would be the best sounding on the market for its size.