Denon DL - 301 MC cart, do I need to retip?

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
Denon DL - 301 MC cart, do I need to retip?
« on: 3 Mar 2010, 12:47 am »
I bought it with a Denon DP5f tt and Denon SUT. All in the early '80s when I was an air traffic controller, single, and had disposable income. No such income now.  :(

I've recently pulled it out of mothballs. I'm looking at the cart., at the end of the stylus, there is at best a miniscule bump. Using a magnifying glass, I can see it's a crystal element, but still just a bump.

I have no idea how much time I put on the stylus before putting it away in 2002 on moving from CT to PA.

Meanwhile, I had to replace the dl-301 once in the past, while waiting on it's replacement I bought a Shure V 15 Type IV MM cart. This has little use. Using same magnifying glass, I can plainly see long, thin crystal projecting downward from the stylus.

Shouldn't the DL-301 diamond look the same? Do MC diamonds start out smaller than MM diamonds?

I'm confused, and need advice as to what to do.
« Last Edit: 3 Mar 2010, 02:57 am by etcarroll »

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
Re: Denon DL - 301 MC cart, do I need to retip?
« Reply #1 on: 5 Mar 2010, 12:18 am »
Hi,
They are not all the same size, and it's not a MC-MM thing. An AT microline is so tiny, that with 30x you can see it, but that's about it. If you're unsure about the Denon you should have it looked at by a pro. If you want to try it out, use some expendable records and allow at least 5 hrs playing time for it to loosen up. If you replaced it once, maybe it's OK?

To really examine a stylus for wear, you need 400 to 500x and high intensity lamps. With 100x you can see if a smaller diamond is broken or cracked and the general condition.

etcarroll

« Reply #2 on: 18 Mar 2010, 03:40 pm »
Thanks Neobop, good suggestions.

At 52, my eyes just aren't what they once were.

What I really need are pics of a like unit, but can't seem to find them on the 'net.

So I'm listening to some Joni Mitchell, I figure a female voice will tell me if there's a problem.

etcarroll

« Reply #4 on: 19 Mar 2010, 11:51 pm »
Well, that's pretty much what I've got. I'm spinning an old Bill Evans lp, it sounds fine, so I guess I'm good.

And you sir, are a prince for posting the links.   :)

Here you go:
http://www.vinylengine.com/phpBB2/album_showpage.php?pic_id=6077

http://www.vinylengine.com/phpBB2/album_showpage.php?pic_id=6078