Basic Question About BNC Connection to BDP-2

Matt Cooney

Basic Question About BNC Connection to BDP-2
« on: 6 Dec 2022, 02:53 pm »
Hi,

This feels like a dumb one, but.....

I have a BDP-2 and have never used bnc connectors.  I will need to use the bnc output now because going to a DAC that does not have AES/EBU.  The BDP-2 appears to have a MALE bnc output, meaning I need a cable with a FEMALE bnc input (and then terminating as needed in the DAC - male cable to female input in this case).  I ask this because female bnc connections seem less common, and products that declare a bnc connection option seem to presume male is the standard.  I have even seen bnc cables marketed as Bryston-targeted that are male-male.  So just want to make sure I am not missing something.  While responding, any good cable recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Matt 

sfraser

Re: Basic Question About BNC Connection to BDP-2
« Reply #1 on: 6 Dec 2022, 04:23 pm »
If you are stuck , you should be able to source "male to male" or "female to female" adapters.

gbaby

« Reply #2 on: 6 Dec 2022, 04:44 pm »
Hi,

This feels like a dumb one, but.....

I have a BDP-2 and have never used bnc connectors.  I will need to use the bnc output now because going to a DAC that does not have AES/EBU.  The BDP-2 appears to have a MALE bnc output, meaning I need a cable with a FEMALE bnc input (and then terminating as needed in the DAC - male cable to female input in this case).  I ask this because female bnc connections seem less common, and products that declare a bnc connection option seem to presume male is the standard.  I have even seen bnc cables marketed as Bryston-targeted that are male-male.  So just want to make sure I am not missing something.  While responding, any good cable recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Matt
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XKQRSGT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Whitespider

« Reply #3 on: 6 Dec 2022, 06:10 pm »
Hi,

I don't own a Bryston unit, but looking at online photos of the BDP-2, it looks like the unit has FEMALE chassis BNCs. If it is a MALE chassis BNC, it would have a locking collar.  The photo shows a female BNC from one of my DACs.

It can be confusing if you have not used a BNC cable before.  The end with a locking collar is the MALE end.  If the Bryston does have a MALE BNC, that's extremely unusual.  Or it might have an adaptor on it.

Whitespider

« Reply #4 on: 6 Dec 2022, 06:13 pm »
Sorry for the rotated image, not sure why it decided to post sideways.

Matt Cooney

« Reply #5 on: 6 Dec 2022, 07:20 pm »
DOHHHHHH!   My eyes are not what they used to be.  The BDP output LOOKED like a solid wire, but when I pulled the unit out into the light, it is in fact a tube, and FEMALE!  So my suspicion that it "should be" female is confirmed, and in fact IT IS FEMALE.

Thanks everyone.

vonnie123

« Reply #6 on: 6 Dec 2022, 08:16 pm »
https://www.musicdirect.com/equipment/cable/nordost-silver-shadow-digital-cable-rca-bnc-1-0m/

This is a good quality BNC/RCA cable from Nordost.  I have two of them.  They are sold with adapters so you can install BNC to BNC, BNC to RCA, or RCA to RCA.

gbaby

« Reply #7 on: 7 Dec 2022, 12:32 am »
https://www.musicdirect.com/equipment/cable/nordost-silver-shadow-digital-cable-rca-bnc-1-0m/

This is a good quality BNC/RCA cable from Nordost.  I have two of them.  They are sold with adapters so you can install BNC to BNC, BNC to RCA, or RCA to RCA.

Ouch! I had mine special made from Bettercables.com for a fraction of this price.

veloceleste

« Reply #8 on: 7 Dec 2022, 01:23 am »
« Last Edit: 21 Aug 2023, 11:44 am by veloceleste »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #9 on: 7 Dec 2022, 01:34 am »
Make sure both connectors and the cable are 75 ohms.

james

J2Ordan

« Reply #10 on: 7 Dec 2022, 02:22 am »
Velco-

DH Labs (silversonic.com ) has a great line of reasonably priced cables.

If you feel confident with a soldering iron, you can buy the raw connectors, cable and roll your own.

Otherwise, give a call with you needs; which connector where and length.

Whatever you decide, don't get caught up in "The Cable Rabbit Hole."

Cables are icing on the cake at best with diminishing (or no) returns very likely.

Enjoy the Sounds,

John

vonnie123

« Reply #11 on: 7 Dec 2022, 04:32 am »
I’m fairly skeptical regarding pricey cables. That being said, my friend lent me a silver shadow cable and it was a significant improvement over the digital cable I was using. I wouldn’t/couldn’t pay list but I did buy a used one at a significant savings and I’m very happy with what Im hearing. He also lent me a very expensive, highly regarded pair of balanced cables I tried between my BDA2 and BP173 and while I felt it did improve the sound slightly, it was NOT a night and day difference and I could never justify its price, even used and at a heavily reduced price.

Bought both my of Silver Shadows BNC/RCAs at a discount too.  (Approx $200 each). 

vonnie123

« Reply #12 on: 7 Dec 2022, 04:36 am »
Bought both my of Silver Shadows BNC/RCAs at a discount too.  (Approx $200 each).

An ebay seller “Audiophileanswers” used to have Audioquest VSD-5 BNC cables for around $60 recently as last year.  He had the raw cable and BNC connectors and fabbed them himself.  Cables were well assembled.

vonnie123

« Reply #13 on: 7 Dec 2022, 04:48 am »
Ouch! I had mine special made from Bettercables.com for a fraction of this price.

Bettercables makes nice stuff at a good price.

veloceleste

« Reply #14 on: 7 Dec 2022, 10:02 am »
Velco-

DH Labs (silversonic.com ) has a great line of reasonably priced cables.

If you feel confident with a soldering iron, you can buy the raw connectors, cable and roll your own.

Otherwise, give a call with you needs; which connector where and length.

Whatever you decide, don't get caught up in "The Cable Rabbit Hole."

Cables are icing on the cake at best with diminishing (or no) returns very likely.

Enjoy the Sounds,

John
I agree cables are the icing and have no intention of going down the cable rabbit hole. While I am open minded to the difference cables can make, my wallet is not so open!

Jozsef

« Reply #15 on: 9 Dec 2022, 02:15 am »
I actually discovered Bryston when Verion cables appeared around 40 years ago and they were the local distributors. A $75, 1 metre patchcord was a fortune back then but they were properly made. My advice after all these years of researching the topic is that you should never pay attention to anything coming from a company in the cable business, unless it's Bryston's people. This is for the simple reason that they only sell cables because so many customers asked them for a product they could buy with confidence. Otherwise, stick to proper engineers for technical information. There is a little complexity to the subject of cables but nothing like the opportunities for continuous improvement that the many charlatans would have you believe.

If you have the patience to make your own, there is a lot of money to be saved and the convenience of getting just the right length as well.

Looking into how the human brain works is very helpful when dealing with some of the differences we can hear that are actually artifacts of our perception in the moment, based on what we believe to be true. I've been caught out hearing a significant improvement when no change had been made. It's a bit embarrassing but that is how our minds actually work, for better or worse.