Bryston Changes July 2022

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Bryston Changes July 2022
« on: 13 Jun 2022, 01:50 pm »

HI Folks

Well the inevitable is upon us so we are introducing a new Bryston price list as of July 15th 2022.  All orders in house prior to July 15th will be honored at the older prices. Please see the attached EXCEL price list.

There are also a number of product changes.

The Bryston A-Series speakers are being discontinued and the Bryston T-Series expanded.

MPS-2 Power Supply is dscontinued. (PS-3 Power Supply replaces MPS-2)
PS-3 is available in narrow or full width.

SP-4 Surround Processor is discontinued.

The Bryston T-Series speakers will now have additional models added:
Bryston Trim-T (Tower)
Bryston Compact-T (Bookshelf)
Bryston Tiny-T (Bookshelf)

Active Speakers:
Bryston Model-T, Middle-T and Mini-T (requires BAX-1 Active Crossover)

Wireless Speakers:
Slim-T Wireless
Compact-T Wireless
Tiny-T Wireless
BB1 Sound Bar Including Wireless Sub

Subwoofers (Columns):
Mini-T Sub (Single eight)
Middle-T Sub (Dual eight)
Model-T Sub (Triple eight)

Bipole Subwoofers (Zero Resonance Subwoofers)
ZR-8   (Dual eight)
ZR-10 (Dual ten)
ZR-12 (Dual twelve)
All Subs available in Wireless versions.
A separate transmitter is available when Subs not being used in conjunction with Bryston Wireless speakers

« Last Edit: 13 Jun 2022, 08:23 pm by James Tanner »

spartana

Re: Bryston Changes July 2022
« Reply #1 on: 13 Jun 2022, 07:59 pm »
James, one question: I see these memos as comparably small pictures that do not expand when clicking on them. When scrolling in, the picture is pretty blurry. Anything I do wrong? Thanks.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #2 on: 13 Jun 2022, 08:20 pm »
Sorry I guess it does not work the way it does on our Facebook page or our Newsletter and Memo email list.

I will add the copy.

james

AllanS

« Reply #3 on: 14 Jun 2022, 02:53 am »

I will add the copy.

james

If possible would you please include the new price list or provide instructions on how to view?  I’m considering a BP17.
Thank you

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #4 on: 14 Jun 2022, 11:48 am »
Hi Allan,

I do not included the new prices because they vary depending on each distributor around the world.

In NA the BP-17 is increasing about 8%.

james

Luxmancl38

« Reply #5 on: 14 Jun 2022, 10:10 pm »
Are you replacing the SP-4 or eliminating the product??
« Last Edit: 15 Jun 2022, 01:00 am by Luxmancl38 »

AllanS

« Reply #6 on: 15 Jun 2022, 02:51 am »
Hi Allan,

I do not included the new prices because they vary depending on each distributor around the world.

james

Thank you James

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #7 on: 15 Jun 2022, 11:22 am »
Are you replacing the SP-4 or eliminating the product??

HI

The SP-4 was a relationship with Storm Audio and their products are very similar now so we are discontinuing that relationship.
We may offer a processor in the future but no decision as of yet.
Our SP-3 still sells well so maybe a revised version of it makes sense going forward.

james

R. Daneel

« Reply #8 on: 15 Jun 2022, 12:59 pm »
Hi Allan,

james

So, no MSRP for the distributors?

Aren't you afraid that it might put Bryston in an unenviable position with distributors who carry manufacturers that are direct competition to Bryston? I will tell you for a fact that that is exactly what I've noticed with some dealers and it doesn't bode especially well for Bryston.

I can tell you more if you're interested.

Cheers.
Antun

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #9 on: 15 Jun 2022, 01:13 pm »
Hi

No we allow the distributors to set their prices based on their costs and margins needed to stay in business.
If the price is too high in a given market then things do not sell and usually they are not our distributor for very long.
Most of our distributors have been with us for many years.

best
james

R. Daneel

« Reply #10 on: 17 Jun 2022, 10:45 am »
Hi

No we allow the distributors to set their prices based on their costs and margins needed to stay in business.
If the price is too high in a given market then things do not sell and usually they are not our distributor for very long.
Most of our distributors have been with us for many years.

best
james

Hi James and thanks for the reply!

I see what you mean.

I am assuming that North America is the prime market for Bryston and that likely 70% of the total revenue comes from that market. My concern is that this happens in secondary markets, like Europe, where smaller revenue is expected - precisely because it is not a prime market. It "leaves room" for things that an authorized distributor or a dealer just shouldn't be doing.

I think this loss of revenue is something that needn't - shouldn't happen. IMHO, a stricter control over distributors and dealers would help with this problem.

Cheers,
Antun

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #11 on: 17 Jun 2022, 11:09 am »
Hi - control in what way as you start to get into legal issues if you go down that path.

james

veloceleste

« Reply #12 on: 17 Jun 2022, 11:23 am »
Hi,
Any timeline for the introduction/description of the new speaker products?
Thanks.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #13 on: 17 Jun 2022, 11:38 am »
HI

The Tiny T and the Compact T are being finalized now with the Trim T still in the anechoic and going through blind listening tests.

james

R. Daneel

« Reply #14 on: 17 Jun 2022, 12:58 pm »
Hi - control in what way as you start to get into legal issues if you go down that path.

james

Hi James!

It has nothing to do with legal rights. The "control" is a set of rules imposed by the manufacturer that any given distributor and/or dealer in a given market must follow. These rules may apply to one particular segment of the market or the entire market where the products are sold. It is quite common with industrial equipment manufacturers.

I will give you a clear example. If I were to buy let's say a BCD-3 CD player, it would cost me less to buy it in California for 2400 USD, have it shipped across the Atlantic, pay 25% VAT and 8% import duty than to buy it here for 4500 €. Even if I wanted to buy it at these terms, the dealer would first try to convince me to buy something else. I wouldn't spend any less - it would still cost me 4500 € - but they would make a whole lot more from the trade if I bought an equivalent product from a brand the dealer shouldn't even be carrying and selling "under the counter".

A friend of mine is a distributor and a dealer for a famous headphone brand. He has been given a specific set of rules what he is allowed to sell alongside that brand. If he wishes to remain their distributor, this is precisely what he must do. So, apart from a small selection of other headphone brands that do not represent competition for this brand, you will not find any other headphones in his store. Also, a pricelist he's been given is a good guideline for him to form his own prices upon but there are limits to what he is allowed to charge, at both ends of the spectrum. Then there are other rules concerning service etc. but we are not talking about that here.

This "squabbling" isn't doing any of us any good. The prices are too high and the service is substandard.

Please do not think I am speaking generally because I am not. I am being very specific, as usual, and this does not apply to all distributors or dealers. It is something to think about.

Cheers,
Antun

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #15 on: 17 Jun 2022, 01:03 pm »
Hi Antun

Wow that is different than our legal people tell us.

We can in no way impose on a business a set of rules as you describe above.  Given that though most of our distributors respect the fact that we 'recommend' to only sell within their market area.

Interesting?

james

NekoAudio

• Industry Participant
    • Neko Audio LLC
« Reply #16 on: 17 Jun 2022, 05:44 pm »
A friend of mine is a distributor and a dealer for a famous headphone brand. He has been given a specific set of rules what he is allowed to sell alongside that brand. If he wishes to remain their distributor, this is precisely what he must do. So, apart from a small selection of other headphone brands that do not represent competition for this brand, you will not find any other headphones in his store. Also, a pricelist he's been given is a good guideline for him to form his own prices upon but there are limits to what he is allowed to charge, at both ends of the spectrum.

In support of James' reply, there's a pretty decent chance this is illegal, depending on where the dealer is located. It's possible the country or region he operates in doesn't have those laws or regulations, but many countries and regions do. Many smaller outfits may not be aware of their legal rights, which may or may not be taken advantage of by others who also may or may not be aware of what is legal or not in a specific country or region.

R. Daneel

« Reply #17 on: 18 Jun 2022, 11:57 am »
Hi Antun

Wow that is different than our legal people tell us.

We can in no way impose on a business a set of rules as you describe above.  Given that though most of our distributors respect the fact that we 'recommend' to only sell within their market area.

Interesting?

james

Hi James!

Very interesting indeed!

What I can tell you for certain is that there are a lot of businesses that operate in this manner in these spaces.

I already talked about this on a different forum and actually took part in business administration lectures and it was a commonplace modus operandi for a lot of companies. That being said, one presenter did clearly point out that even though it was fully law-permitted, it wasn't shall we say in the spirit of open trade and that it is because of this that European economies lag behind those of North America. That and well, the bureaucracy in the EU Parliament, but that's a different story.

But perhaps a middle ground could be found so as to protect the clients from exaggerated prices.

Cheers,
Antun

drummermitchell

« Reply #18 on: 27 Jun 2022, 07:24 pm »
Hi James,
As the mini A is discontinued,are one of the New Ts going to be three way like the mini A was.
Also if the mini As are discontinued,perhaps a nice discountHad To Ask.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #19 on: 28 Jun 2022, 11:16 am »
Hi James,
As the mini A is discontinued,are one of the New Ts going to be three way like the mini A was.
Also if the mini As are discontinued,perhaps a nice discountHad To Ask.

Hi Don

Yes the new Tiny T will be our small 3-way.

Not sure if we have any Mini A's available but I will check.

best
james