Do you archive LPs to digital? Why? Where's the logic, please?

firewall

• None
Dear Reader,

Why do some record players offer USB out?

If one converts an analog recording to digital, does that not defeat the purpose of analog? Why not just stream DSD?

To me, when people 'archive' their LPs to digital (thinking it will be an analog source,) it's the same as a person posting a video of their 'sound system,' expecting that you'll hear what they hear at home (e.g. you have a different TT, DAC, speakers, etc.)

Am I missing something?

What's the purpose of archiving analog to digital? You're essentially listening to the weakest chain in the recording process - you DAC...which will never sound pure analog.

Please explain to me why people do this. Is there a legitimate reason, other than making a copy of a record?

I'd rather listen to pure digital (DDD,) than take vinyl and convert it to digital.

Best,
Firewall.

Jack the cat

• At the gates of delirium
I'm glad we all have a world of choices, enjoy your DDD and don't worry about how others listen to their music. Vive le rock.

firewall

• None
I'm glad we all have a world of choices, enjoy your DDD and don't worry about how others listen to their music. Vive le rock.

" and don't worry about how others listen to their music."

Why are you being so rude?

That was a rather terse response to a simple question.

Have a nice day, Jack the cat.

Chewbacca

I never understood this either... Curious if someone has a legitimate reason. Certainly can't be sound quality :scratch:

Kinda always seemed like a marketing scam for people that don't understand analog vs digital?... Or someone without internet access? Again could be something I'm not thinking about, curious regardless - Good question! :thumb:

OldNick

I'll chime in.  I've recorded my entire LP library of 2500 or so to 24/96 PCM.  There were 2 reasons.  Firstly, I built a DAC and wanted to push it to its limits to see how close I could bring it to analog.  Second was convenience.  Cueing up 6 hours of album music and hitting the button has large appeal, especially when alcohol is in the mix..no catastrophic accidents.  At this point, the DAC performance is so close to my analog options that I could easily live with it.  That said, my turntables and record collection aren't going anywhere, and I still buy LP's, especially when I know the recording is a good one.  Like most things, it's not for everyone, but I've learned a lot about digital in the process, and no longer consider it the evil I once did.  8)

Mariusz Uszynski

I'll chime in.  I've recorded my entire LP library of 2500 or so to 24/96 PCM.  There were 2 reasons.  Firstly, I built a DAC and wanted to push it to its limits to see how close I could bring it to analog.  Second was convenience.  Cueing up 6 hours of album music and hitting the button has large appeal, especially when alcohol is in the mix..no catastrophic accidents.  At this point, the DAC performance is so close to my analog options that I could easily live with it.  That said, my turntables and record collection aren't going anywhere, and I still buy LP's, especially when I know the recording is a good one.  Like most things, it's not for everyone, but I've learned a lot about digital in the process, and no longer consider it the evil I once did.  8)
Thank you Old Nick, an excellent explanation.Although I collect cds, but I have one silly question, if you don't mind.Can you use that USB in the car?I hope I won't upset any angry cats with my silly question.We're here, to learn from each other, right?

toocool4

I’ll throw another one in the mix. It’s like back in the 80’s / 90’s when some people buy a records, on first play they record it to tape because “they don’t want the record to wear out”. Personally I think sad mothers. The people recording to digital could be doing the same.

Also like OldNick said for some people it could be about convenience.

OldNick

Thank you Old Nick, an excellent explanation.Although I collect cds, but I have one silly question, if you don't mind.Can you use that USB in the car?I hope I won't upset any angry cats with my silly question.

Hi Mariusz, neither of our vehicles will play 24/96 although I think that many, more modern models will depending on the installed sound system.  For the cars, we use CD quality or (help me) MP3, which is 'good enough'.

OldNick

I’ll throw another one in the mix. It’s like back in the 80’s / 90’s when some people buy a records, on first play they record it to tape because “they don’t want the record to wear out”. Personally I think sad mothers. The people recording to digital could be doing the same.

Also like OldNick said for some people it could be about convenience.

Yeah, I agree, wearing out the record wasn't a driving force for me.

Mariusz Uszynski

Hi Mariusz, neither of our vehicles will play 24/96 although I think that many, more modern models will depending on the installed sound system.  For the cars, we use CD quality or (help me) MP3, which is 'good enough'.
That what I meant, can you make MP3 file out of vinyl?Like I do it with my cds, I use MP3 in the car.Thank you again.

Chewbacca

Re: Do you archive LPs to digital? Why? Where's the logic, please?
« Reply #10 on: 21 Jan 2022, 08:21 pm »
I'm just personally a little hung up on - wouldn't the digital recording (cd, qobuz, tidal - whatever) which was generally recorded from the master tapes and then mastered/remastered (or originally recorded and mastered in digital space) be better than a recording of a recording of a recording?

Original music -> master tapes -> vinyl record -> home recorded digital.

Compared to:

Original music -> master tapes -> recorded digital ("professionally" done, with mastering)

Anyone picking up what I'm putting down? lol

Mariusz Uszynski

« Reply #11 on: 21 Jan 2022, 08:22 pm »
That what I meant, can you make MP3 file out of vinyl?Like I do it with my cds, I use MP3 in the car.Thank you again.
I always treated my vinyl and now my cd collection with utmost respect.

OldNick

« Reply #12 on: 21 Jan 2022, 08:22 pm »

Yes, for sure.  If it was me, I would record at high resolution and then downsample a copy for car use.  But, yes you could just record to MP3.  I use VinylStudio software on a PC for recording and the Focusrite 2i2 as the USB recording interface.

Chewbacca

« Reply #13 on: 21 Jan 2022, 08:23 pm »

You should always be able to downsample/compress a digital file. If you have a 24/96 or 16/41, whatever, you can downsample/compress to mp3. I've always used dBpoweramp with great success. I use it for converting all my CDs to FLAC files as well.

Mariusz Uszynski

« Reply #14 on: 21 Jan 2022, 08:24 pm »
I'm just personally a little hung up on - wouldn't the digital recording (cd, qobuz, tidal - whatever) which was generally recorded from the master tapes and then mastered/remastered (or originally recorded and mastered in digital space) be better than a recording of a recording of a recording?

Compared to:

Original music -> master tapes -> recorded digital ("professionally" done, with mastering)

We still on the same topic???LOL.

Mariusz Uszynski

« Reply #15 on: 21 Jan 2022, 08:26 pm »
You should always be able to downsample/compress a digital file. If you have a 24/96 or 16/41, whatever, you can downsample/compress to mp3. I've always used dBpoweramp with great success. I use it for converting all my CDs to FLAC files as well.
That sounds more understandable, LOL

Chewbacca

« Reply #16 on: 21 Jan 2022, 08:28 pm »
We still on the same topic???LOL.

I believe this gets back to the original question of the thread. There's no way you have the same fidelity of the vinyl recording when you re-record it to digital - then my point was, why go through all this effort when it's already been done professionally, and is easily accessible on streaming services?

OldNick

« Reply #17 on: 21 Jan 2022, 08:29 pm »

Compared to:

Well maybe.  Quite often, the vinyl transfers are superb.  I do buy digital downloads also and the quality varies mightily, just like it does with vinyl, except for different reasons.  Thing two, a lot of new vinyl is done from digital, so again a variable result.  I've heard supposedly excellent digital beaten up pretty good by vinyl versions, including by the recordings from said vinyl.  Sometimes it's so close that the vinyl expense makes no sense.  IOW, nothing definite on either side of the fence.  Too many variables I think, including the playback equipment in both camps.

toocool4

« Reply #18 on: 21 Jan 2022, 08:32 pm »

Compared to:

Maybe they already have the records and don’t want to go and buy it a second time in digital form? They could just record what they already own and not pay twice?

OldNick

« Reply #19 on: 21 Jan 2022, 08:36 pm »
Maybe they already have the records and don’t want to go and buy it a second time in digital form? They could just record what they already own and not pay twice?

Quite right.  Often, I want to own the LP.  I don't subscribe to any streaming services either (yet)..