Tube vs. SS Preamp Question

greg7

Tube vs. SS Preamp Question
« on: 28 Nov 2021, 10:41 pm »
I'm in the market for a tubed preamp. Oddly, I've never owned a tubed preamp. I own two preamps and 3 amps, all solid state. Two of the 3 amps are pure class A (one push pull, one single ended). Front end is computer based, two nice vintage ladder DACs. My question is ... is the a major difference between a good tubed and SS preamp in your experience as far as low listener fatigue, etc.?

RonP

Re: Tube vs. SS Preamp Question
« Reply #1 on: 28 Nov 2021, 11:50 pm »
I'm in the market for a tubed preamp. Oddly, I've never owned a tubed preamp. I own two preamps and 3 amps, all solid state. Two of the 3 amps are pure class A (one push pull, one single ended). Front end is computer based, two nice vintage ladder DACs. My question is ... is the a major difference between a good tubed and SS preamp in your experience as far as low listener fatigue, etc.?

for me it was soundstage. stepping up to a tube preamp gave it that last bit to make the sound wrap around behind me. It also added to the dimensions of the soundstage in front of me (behind the speakers).

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #2 on: 29 Nov 2021, 12:28 am »
I think that todays tube gear is different sounding than say from the 1970's through the 1990's when a lot of the gear was warmer sounding.  There are a lot of great sounding SS preamps and some are tube like. For me, I find that tube preamps can sound warmer and smoother with a bit of bloom (which I like) but a lot of that depends upon the tubes used even among variants of the same model tube.  I drove myself crazy rolling 6CG7 tubes in my AVA LS Ultra II preamp until I found some vintage NOS tubes from the 1950's that were spectacular.  Most tube gear allows you to tube roll unless you have a preamp like my BAT VK-51se that uses 8x6H30 super tubes for which there really is not any NOS tubes unless you want to pay $300 a tube.  However, tube rolling can pay off like it did for my AVA preamp.  I also own a bellari vp-129 tube phono preamp which was just ok sounding.  I rolled in all the recommended tubes and it still sounded mediocre until I found a 1950's Raytheon 12AX7 which brought it a new level of sound.  It sounds fabulous now.

With that being said, listen to as many preamps (tube and SS) as you can.

Sorry for rambling but there are benefits to being able to tailor the sound with a tube preamp if you are into that.  There is a lot of great sounding tube and SS gear and some tube gear sounds SS and some SS gear can sound tube like.

One thing to keep in mind is the output impedance of the preamp and input impedance of the amp.

By the way, I use a Pass Labs X250 SS amp and used a Pass X1 SS preamp, I sold it and bought my BAT and have never looked back.  However, the BAT sold for $10K and the Pass X1 sold for $6K when new.

Markwatkiss

« Reply #3 on: 29 Nov 2021, 02:57 am »
Part of the audio journey is to experiment with different products until you are satisfied.It’s easy to buy a system that plays music but more difficult to build a system that is musical.A tube pre amp would be an excellent addition to your system.Try a Schitt,very competent performance and relatively inexpensive.If it doesn’t float your boat it has great re sale value.

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
« Reply #4 on: 16 Dec 2021, 06:04 am »
Class A amp, with a tubed pre/tube buffer
Is hard to beat.. 

Imho..

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #5 on: 16 Dec 2021, 10:01 am »
I haven't used a SS preamp in years.
There's lots of good ones (tube preamps) out there.
I'd say do it, you won't be sorry.
« Last Edit: 16 Dec 2021, 03:48 pm by SteveFord »

gene9p

« Reply #6 on: 16 Dec 2021, 03:19 pm »
I have a Mac C2300 that has so many inputs and sound controls to tweak what you hear as well as a semi retired Vinnie Rossi LIO that sounds off the charts great. Changing tubes in the pre amp allows you to listen to music in so many different ways. It's hard for me to tube roll in the big Mac but in the LIO it's a snap.From the detailed sound provided by Genalex Gold Lions to the smooth sweet sound of some older  Amperex 7308s. I am presently using a Parasound A21 but a Class A Pass Labs XA25 is en route and is due to be delivered tomorrow.

lazydays

« Reply #7 on: 16 Dec 2021, 10:29 pm »
I own four (maybe five) tube preamps and maybe two solid state preamps. Over the years, I've owned about six SS preamps, and all but one just didn't cut it. For me the worst an Adcom I gave away to keep from tossing it out in the back yard! The best one was an Accuphase, and even it was just not quite there. The Adcom just hurt my ears!

Thru the years I've owned a few tube preamps, and everyone of them have the same characteristic. The they tend to remove the glare and graininess that so many tube amps produce (my current solid state amps don't). The sound is somewhat more fluid, and seems to have a better flow. Much nicer to listen to. My bottom grade tube preamp is a midline ASL that has been re-capped with better tubes. It's better than all the solid state preamps I've own (well lets say 75% better). Right now I'm using a Quicksilver that is in dire need of a major tune up. Yet is better than the other stuff. I have a factory rebuilt Conrad Johnson that has about six to seven hundred hours on it, and like that "CJ house sound!" I also have an Odyssey tube preamp. An absolute steal at the price tag, but honestly is not my favorite. The sound is better than the other two for sure, but lacks some features I want. Mine was the second one built, and they say the newer ones are even better. (we're going to find out next year). The Quicksilver and the Odyssey are very neutral sounding, but the latter is a little more detailed in sound.

What would fix the deal for me would be the Odyssey with six inputs and a tape loop (tape I & tape 2). Guess I want to run to much stuff thru my system!
gary

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #8 on: 17 Dec 2021, 01:49 am »
What tube amps are sounding funny to you?
I have 4 VTLs and one Carver and they mate up really well with tube preamps.
It's the solid state ones I have that don't quite cut it.

mcmusicman

« Reply #9 on: 17 Dec 2021, 04:31 am »
I found that a Tube preamp in between the DAC and my Amplifier made all the difference in the world.  After doing some research and speaking with a couple of fellows regarding a pairing for my 4B3, one of whom is a professional equipment reviewer, I found & purchased an EAR 868.  I would never remove it for a SS preamp nor will I part with it. Running Matsushita NOS 6922s. Changed my mind completely regarding the importance of a quality preamp.