Loving the new BDP-3!

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
Re: Loving the new BDP-3!
« Reply #60 on: 6 Dec 2018, 07:12 pm »
^ hmmm don't know about the quickest -- BP17 got upgraded to a cubed pretty quickly.
3-4 years?

cheers

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #61 on: 6 Dec 2018, 07:15 pm »

...might be. but the change from 16 to 17 was a few years longer if memory serves me right.

al.

zoom25

« Reply #62 on: 6 Dec 2018, 10:39 pm »
What features would necessitate a BDP-4?

There would have to be a reason for BDP-4 to exist over the BDP-3. Some things I can think of:

1) Offer better sound quality.
2) Can serve as a Roon Core as well, rather just as an endpoint. Perhaps think of it as an even higher-end Nucleus.
3) Network Fiber inputs (Lumin recently started offering this). I don't know if Bryston engineering has examined fiber and whether they think there are any benefits over standard copper ethernet in any circumstances.

Right now, I am still using the BDP-1 with Roon, so I don't have a need for the BDP-2 or BDP-3 from a functional standpoint to handle larger libraries, since the computer (iMac) is responsible for library management. In my current usage, the BDP-2/3 upgrade would only be for SQ purposes.

BTW what's the current library limit on BDP-3 with MPD use and Manic Moose (or the next iteration) database?

schmidtmike76

« Reply #63 on: 7 Dec 2018, 03:24 pm »
Does the BDP sonically sound better than the Pi running roon?  Thoughts

jtinto

« Reply #64 on: 7 Dec 2018, 03:42 pm »

Funny. I asked myself the same question just yesterday when reading zoom25's post.

I have a BDP-3 that I'm now running as a Roon endpoint. The sound seems very comparable to before Roon, running the Bryston DB.

I don't have a BDP-1 2 or Pi to compare.

gbaby

« Reply #65 on: 8 Dec 2018, 12:09 am »

The BDP-3 will sound its best using Manic Moose MPD, period. You use other software at your own convenience as long as you know you'll not going the get the ultimate sound quality ,but fancy graphics, from the others.

Calypte

« Reply #66 on: 8 Dec 2018, 05:11 am »
Why would the interface software affect the sound?  I can see issues of convenience and organization, but sound?

zoom25

« Reply #67 on: 8 Dec 2018, 06:29 am »
@schmidtmike76 I have also been interested (academically at this point) in how the BDP-1, BDP-1 USB, BDP-pi, BDP-2, and BDP-3 would compare sonically in Roon Ready mode with everything disabled. Some devices have wifi capability, but shouldn't be used for the comparison. For this test, all devices should be connected via ethernet. Additionally, no USB devices should be connected to the device. The internal devices should also be removed. Same digital cables/connector of same length should be used. Three of the devices have AES, while the BDP-1 USB has USB only and the pi only has coax. That's another thing to consider.

If one wanted to compare MPD against Roon for SQ, the only fair way would be to have them both working over wired ethernet (NAS required for MPD). No usage of USB devices for MPD. Everything should be disabled and nothing plugged into the BDP's USB port.

Both MPD and Roon are bit perfect as long as you don't engage in any DSP. If there are any differences sonically between these two mode, they can arise  from 2 possible ways. USB vs ethernet connections. If you are using USB devices such as flash drives or portable hard drives for MPD, it is possible they can be adding noise and modulating the performance of the sound card portion of the BDP. Chris Rice has alluded to this in the past, as has the developer of Auralic products. For example, Chris has previously mentioned the "billions of transistors" in SSDs injecting noise. Even James in the past has said that he finds slight differences in SQ between portable spinning hard drives vs. small thumb drives.

This is why I think eliminating USB devices altogether is the best option and also serves as a good control. When both MPD and Roon runs from ethernet, the data is coming from the same path and no additional devices could be influencing the SQ. If there is any difference in SQ in this minimal hardware configuration, the only logical argument would be that the differences in CPU processing has an electrical impact on the performance of the digital output of the BDP. As opposed to the USB vs. ethernet differences which are external, this difference in Roon vs. MPD would arise from internal mechanisms.

Hope that makes sense.

(I know Bryston's always been reserved in their opinions concerning SQ, but it would be lovely to hear from anyone at Bryston based on either objective data or simply their subjective impressions as to how to get the best SQ out of the BDP. If they think all these mode offer identical SQ, I'd be glad in hearing that as well. ANYTHING besides "whichever one sounds the best to you" lol. There's only so much a customer can do on their own end when it comes to testing. C'mon Bryston, I'll take anything :)

Cheers!

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #68 on: 8 Dec 2018, 11:36 am »
ANYTHING besides "whichever one sounds the best to you" lol. There's only so much a customer can do on their own end when it comes to testing. C'mon Bryston, I'll take anything :)

Cheers!

LOL right back at you.

Most customers buy gear to enjoy the music with as much transparency as their ears (and wallet) can discern. They don't have the time or know-how to "test" electronics along the lines that you claim to be definitive.

So, go enjoy some great music instead of fiddling with internals of gear (Bryston's) that's already exceedingly well engineered for SOTA performance.

cheers
 :popcorn:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #69 on: 8 Dec 2018, 12:40 pm »
OK I'll bite.

At home and at shows I use MPD with an internal rotary USB drive. :)

james
« Last Edit: 8 Dec 2018, 01:50 pm by James Tanner »

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #70 on: 8 Dec 2018, 03:53 pm »
Good balancing act!   :thumb:

dubkarma

• "God made man because he loves stories." - Canetti
« Reply #71 on: 8 Dec 2018, 08:44 pm »
I'm also enjoying 600 GB of ripped CDs using the BDP-3 with the Bryston Media Player reading a USB hard drive. Awaiting an SSD drive to be installed inside the BDP-3.

But I also use Roon with a QNAP NAS which I cannot get working with the BDP-3.

Followed the instructions in the BDP-3 manual, but I cannot get Roon to recognize the BDP-3.

Any tips on troubleshooting this issue would be greatly appreciated.

jtinto

« Reply #72 on: 8 Dec 2018, 10:03 pm »
After comparing MPD vs Roon, bit perfect without any DSP, I'm satisfied with the comparable sound quality.

I just upgraded my Roon core server to the new Mac mini. Wow, is it ever a nice pro level headless server now that it has the latest/fastest memory, SSD and eighth-gen Intel i3 processor. A no-brainer when I compared to the latest Intel NUCs or ROCK.

My system is simple, with all of my music files on a Synology NAS, the Mac mini core, Macbook Pro remote and BDP-3 endpoint.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #73 on: 9 Dec 2018, 01:30 am »
Wooden USB rotaries are great -- fuller midrange.  8)

schmidtmike76

« Reply #74 on: 9 Dec 2018, 02:25 am »
@schmidtmike76 I have also been interested (academically at this point) in how the BDP-1, BDP-1 USB, BDP-pi, BDP-2, and BDP-3 would compare sonically in Roon Ready mode with everything disabled. Some devices have wifi capability, but shouldn't be used for the comparison. For this test, all devices should be connected via ethernet. Additionally, no USB devices should be connected to the device. The internal devices should also be removed. Same digital cables/connector of same length should be used. Three of the devices have AES, while the BDP-1 USB has USB only and the pi only has coax. That's another thing to consider.

If one wanted to compare MPD against Roon for SQ, the only fair way would be to have them both working over wired ethernet (NAS required for MPD). No usage of USB devices for MPD. Everything should be disabled and nothing plugged into the BDP's USB port.

Both MPD and Roon are bit perfect as long as you don't engage in any DSP. If there are any differences sonically between these two mode, they can arise  from 2 possible ways. USB vs ethernet connections. If you are using USB devices such as flash drives or portable hard drives for MPD, it is possible they can be adding noise and modulating the performance of the sound card portion of the BDP. Chris Rice has alluded to this in the past, as has the developer of Auralic products. For example, Chris has previously mentioned the "billions of transistors" in SSDs injecting noise. Even James in the past has said that he finds slight differences in SQ between portable spinning hard drives vs. small thumb drives.

This is why I think eliminating USB devices altogether is the best option and also serves as a good control. When both MPD and Roon runs from ethernet, the data is coming from the same path and no additional devices could be influencing the SQ. If there is any difference in SQ in this minimal hardware configuration, the only logical argument would be that the differences in CPU processing has an electrical impact on the performance of the digital output of the BDP. As opposed to the USB vs. ethernet differences which are external, this difference in Roon vs. MPD would arise from internal mechanisms.

Hope that makes sense.

(I know Bryston's always been reserved in their opinions concerning SQ, but it would be lovely to hear from anyone at Bryston based on either objective data or simply their subjective impressions as to how to get the best SQ out of the BDP. If they think all these mode offer identical SQ, I'd be glad in hearing that as well. ANYTHING besides "whichever one sounds the best to you" lol. There's only so much a customer can do on their own end when it comes to testing. C'mon Bryston, I'll take anything :)

Cheers!
thanks Zoom what a great response!  My dealer from Calgary got me on to Roon using my iMac in another room.  From the modem I’m wired via Ethernet cord I said from the beginning hard wired always sounds better.  Wrong, boy I was wrong he was so right about wifi transferring.  I had a portable drive into my Pi first and it sounded great.  Roon wifi into the Pi is a step above that, now would a better sound card be sonically ahead vs the Pi?
I’ve never lagged even with MQA and HD transfers

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #75 on: 13 Dec 2018, 05:57 pm »
Hi Folks,

Review from German magazine on the BDP-3 - been told its exceptional 
:thumb:

I have the PDF if anyone wants it.

zoom25

« Reply #76 on: 13 Dec 2018, 08:23 pm »
OK I'll bite.

At home and at shows I use MPD with an internal rotary USB drive. :)

james

What's the biggest size (TB) that can be mounted inside the BDP-2 and BDP-3?

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #77 on: 13 Dec 2018, 09:06 pm »
What's the biggest size (TB) that can be mounted inside the BDP-2 and BDP-3?

safely, BDP-2 2TB, BDP-3 should be able to go up to 5TB without issue

Chris

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #78 on: 13 Dec 2018, 09:43 pm »

...ah, sounds good, Chris :thumb:

al.

Grant Hill

« Reply #79 on: 14 Dec 2018, 09:09 am »
safely, BDP-2 2TB, BDP-3 should be able to go up to 5TB without issue

Chris

cool, but the internal disk's space is limited to 2,5 units, isn't it?