A little discussion on stylii????

dlaloum

Re: By Paul Messenger
« Reply #20 on: 5 Jan 2012, 10:58 pm »
To understand the dimensions involved in the record system we shall construct an enlarged model in which one micron (one thousandth of a millimeter) is represented by one inch. A midband modulation in the groove at a “typical” level (1kHz, 5cm/sec) gives a 16 inch peak-to-peak excursion for the stylus, while a 50Hz organ pedal at 10dB higher will require 10’6" and the low level harmonic of a violin (10kHz, -40dB) only 0.068"! A typical stylus with a “line contact” profile on a high quality cartridge would produce vertical oval “foot-prints” on the groove walls 10" by 4” and would deform the vinyl by about one inch (twenty times the size of the violin harmonic). The stylus itself is about 30' high, and is attached to a bent pipe that represents the cantilever of 50' diameter and 275' length, extending from a 2000’ long cartridge body that is some 80’ from the record surface! The arm has a diameter of 450’ and crosses 1300’ above the record surface from its pivot point nearly four miles away! This approach deals only with dimension, not mass or velocity, yet it certainly illustrates the problems of relative magnitude that the turntable system has to deal with. In fact it is quite amazing that record decks work as well as they do, and it is hardly surprising that there are differences among them.
:thumb:

*Scotty*

Re: A little discussion on stylii????
« Reply #21 on: 6 Jan 2012, 02:27 am »
Here is a link to images of some of the stylus shapes discussed in the thread.
http://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/viewtopic.php?t=22894
Let the thread load there are a lot of images.
 My favorite is the AT Microline , I have been using this type of stylus for the last 16 years.
Scotty

dlaloum

Re: A little discussion on stylii????
« Reply #22 on: 6 Jan 2012, 02:37 am »
Clicking on that link directly won't work - cut and paste it to go there - it is a very long and detailed thread with a LOT of information....
My favorite is the AT Microline , I have been using this type of stylus for the last 16 years.
:thumb:

I agree - a fabulous stylus.

AT uses the Namiki stylus tip design, which Shure also used on the V15 series and on the ML120/140 and Ultra series(shure called it the MicroRidge), Jico uses this tip design in their SAS styli.

It is not clear who makes dynavectors pathfinder styli - but it may also be the Namiki tip

Lyra has a custom specified Namiki tip with slightly different proportions (radii) made to their specs.

In fact now that Fritz Geiger have left the stylus manufacturing business, this may be the only remaining exotic tip being manufactured!
FG made the Replicants for Ortofon, who presumably have stocked up before FG shut down, the Van den Hull styli were also made for VdH by FG... so who will be manufacturing needles for VdH is a question we wait for the answer to with bated breath!

Does anyone know of another needle manufacturer of exotic styli?

bye for now

David