Hello from Hong Kong

seldomhere

Hello from Hong Kong
« on: 14 Apr 2021, 04:34 pm »
Hello from Hong Kong!

Music has always been a passion of mine, whether it is playing, watching a live band, or listening at home. Over the past 10 years my hifi gear has morphed into a home theatre, but with a definite bias towards music.

My other hobbies include woodworking, home diy (more through necessity than choice), and technology (I have some pretty awesome docker stacks automating my home theatre experience). DIY speakers have always intrigued me but I have always shied away from it due to having no idea how to measure and design crossovers.  With the GR Research kits I am VERY tempted to build my next HT setup around diy speakers so am here to drink from  the perverbial firehose and learn from the experts here.

If it is woodworking or tech related, I am happy to chime in with my knowledge, but for now will leave the speaker talk to the pros.

Tim

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Hello from Hong Kong
« Reply #1 on: 14 Apr 2021, 04:45 pm »
Welcome Tim  :thumb:

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 14 Apr 2021, 04:57 pm »
Welcome!

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3 on: 14 Apr 2021, 05:13 pm »
Cheers & Welcome to AC Tim   :thumb:

jjss49

« Reply #4 on: 15 Apr 2021, 12:48 am »
welcome - spent many good years in hk in the 80's 90's and 00's... substantial hifi enthusiast community there, with broad interests ranging from japanese tube amps or british classic monitors -- lots of knowledge and good taste

separate your 2 channel from ht!  you will be happier (if you have the room to do so...)

seldomhere

« Reply #5 on: 15 Apr 2021, 03:38 am »
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome ... just like the soft glow of a tube amp.

@jjss49

Audiophiles are almost like an underground association here nowadays ... I love the fact that there are so many small independent shops, I just wish there was a guide to them all as most are so hard to find.  Tucked away on the 10th floor of an industrial building or only accessible through a obscure entrance, it is like an adventure finding them.  I hear you on separating 2ch and ht, even with pretty musical AVRs and Pre/Pros (Arcam & Marantz), it is a world apart from dedicated 2ch. 

Space is a huge consideration in HK, with most of the apartments on the Island being <750sqft.  Luckily, I live out of the city in a "Village House" and have a lot of space (relatively).  No dedicated room though, so I have to think of how much abuse any gear would have to endure from 2 young kids running around.  Weather is also a killer and I am sure you remember just how hot and humid the tropical summers could be.  Mold is #1 on ruining anything nice within 1 season if dehumidifiers are not running 24/7.