KEF Q100 for $300

envydd

Re: KEF Q100 for $300
« Reply #20 on: 14 Apr 2018, 04:21 pm »
Maty what were the cheap tricks you did with your q100?

maty

envydd

« Reply #22 on: 14 Apr 2018, 04:33 pm »
Cool. Thx.

Is there an awesome deal like this on a full range.

Also have you considered converting them to an active speaker w a mini dsp and 2 class d amps

maty

« Reply #23 on: 14 Apr 2018, 04:39 pm »
Is there an awesome deal like this on a full range.

I do not understand what do you want to say.

Also have you considered converting them to an active speaker w a mini dsp and 2 class d amps

No. This summer I want to build a furniture to my second system. Maybe I can add a new case outside the original or only the two sides -> more rigid like "marble".

envydd

« Reply #24 on: 14 Apr 2018, 04:47 pm »
I meant have you encountered a seemingly cheap floorstander that could be a good neutral full range speakers with modifications.

maty

« Reply #25 on: 14 Apr 2018, 05:14 pm »
They tried it years ago, when they could freely buy the coaxial as spare parts. KEF reacted and since then it asks to demonstrate that the cases were bought.

Each coaxial about $120 !!!

With one or better subs you have a great system.

maty

« Reply #26 on: 14 Apr 2018, 05:16 pm »
https://www.stereophile.com/content/kef-q350-loudspeaker-measurements

They need more mass (viscoelastic) inside or thick walls.

maty

maty

« Reply #29 on: 15 Apr 2018, 07:12 pm »
Last week I wrote a comment about: Catalani: La Wally (Complete) Tebaldi, Del Monaco, Cappuccilli, Diaz, Fausto Cleva; L'orchestre National De L'opera De Monte Carlo (1969), vinyl rip 24/192

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=68964.msg1678303#msg1678303

DR      Peak      RMS      Filename
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR14      -0.78 dB    -20.90 dB    sideA.aif
 DR14      -1.63 dB    -21.27 dB    sideB.aif
 DR13      -1.51 dB    -20.16 dB    sideC.aif
 DR14      -1.09 dB    -20.36 dB    sideD.aif
 DR15      -0.67 dB    -21.65 dB    sideE.aif
 DR15      -0.88 dB    -21.82 dB    sideF.aif
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Number of files:   6
 Official DR value:   DR14

===============================================

https://www.amazon.com/Catalani-Complete-Cappuccilli-Lorchestre-National/product-reviews/B00VFN63TI/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_viewopt_srt?ie=UTF8&reviewerType=all_reviews&sortBy=recent&pageNumber=1

Then the KEF Q100 did not have the mass added. Now, with more mass, the sound is much better. I have even been standing around the room, which did not happen to me last week with this very great rip!

maty

« Reply #30 on: 29 Apr 2018, 05:21 pm »
https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/RO5AATA86RVRS/ref=cm_cr_othr_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B0047K3X1M

Went from 1 to 5 stars

By bentnailon April 28, 2018

I had prepared a very long review of the the KEF Q100's, an extremely critical one in fact with all kinds of audiophile gibberish. I just deleted that review because something has happened to my speakers. I've never been a big believer of breaking in components, but the transformation in sound from breaking in the suspension on theses UNI-Q drivers...well, this a first for me in 20 years of wasting money in this hobby...a whole different speaker I'm listening to now!

KEF should just put a giant sticker on the box that reads "these are going to sound like ass for the next few days". I was this close to sending the Q100's back because of the thin metallic sound and face melting shrillness.

Reviews got this one right! Break them in HEAVILY, feed them a quality signal, and pair them with a sealed subwoofer...quite addicting now!

maty

« Reply #31 on: 12 May 2018, 11:54 am »
Again, these speakers are very good and more at this price. Soon what is left for sale will be over!

The last comment

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/RQN8K86SC889L/ref=cm_cr_othr_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B0047K3X1M

Amazing speakers

by Anon9998 on May 11, 2018

These sound incredible! Now that they are broken in, they have extended bass you would not expect from a speaker this size. They also have a very accurate sound with minimal coloration. Sometimes I have to check to see if I left our 12" subwoofer on! We have never owned KEF but have always wanted to. We were concerned about the tweeters being metal because usually metal tweeters have a harsh S sound. We cannot tell these are metal tweeters.

We also own a pair of the Fluance SX6 which we also really like. The Fluance sound amazing but they do not have the accuracy of the KEF's.

We mostly watch movies and use these in our 2.1 setup. We also listen to Josh Groban, Andrea Bocelli, Lindsey Stirling, and other material that requires an accurate speaker like the KEF Q100. These speakers are worth every penny.

-> Fluance SX6W

https://www.amazon.com/Fluance-Definition-Two-Way-Bookshelf-Loudspeakers/product-reviews/B00067OS0A/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_viewopt_srt?ie=UTF8&reviewerType=all_reviews&sortBy=recent&pageNumber=1

wushuliu

« Reply #32 on: 12 May 2018, 03:54 pm »
Maty, why the polystyrene bypass? Why not just replace the crappy Bennic cap completely? And replace the resistor with a good wirewound like Mills/Mundorf, etc. In fact since there are so few parts it wouldn't cost much to just replace all of them. With such a poor crossover you are going to want all those parts to be as high quality as possible. Replace that cap with a ClarityCap and you won't need to equalize. Same with the resistor. Replace that resistor.

The ferrite on the coil is interesting. Never seen that before. My guess? Inductor gauges that small (20awg probably) carry higher frequencies than thicker gauges. Since that inductor crosses over high and shallow that means its letting too much of the upper mids and higher through. And with a crappy quality inductor that means harsh highs and mids, maybe even over saturated. So the ferrite works because its removing those higher frequencies from the coil. A better solution may just be to get a good 16awg inductor instead. Or replace the coil with a good quality 20awg one.

maty

« Reply #33 on: 12 May 2018, 04:06 pm »
It was trial and error. One day looking at another thing on eBay I found a French NOS caps seller and offered them very cheaply, so I could not resist doing the test. I was just about to buy Jantzen red, recommended by Tony Gee (very gentle person). I liked so much the improvement in the treble so much that I decided that is how it stayed.

http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/Cap.html

My idea was to change the resistor too with an expensive Mundorf. Tony says me do not change the coil.

I also wanted to change the internal wiring for another one from Neotech SOCT-16 hookup wire (recommended by Danny Ritchie, very gentle person too) but I was unable to dismantle the speakers because the external rings must be very glued!

http://gr-research.com/

maty

« Reply #34 on: 12 May 2018, 04:18 pm »
Würth 150kHz RF ferrite.

It was trial and error too. I have a lot of in my house, and Schaffner RF/EMI FN9244B inlet filters too.

If you put the RF ferrite in the speaker cable (outside the box) -> sound equalized like "U" -> too much highs :(

The same effect, U, with my big 3-way speakers (woofer: 10.8") of the big room, kidnapped by TV and family.

I do not have a logical explanation. I asked in the diyaudio.com forums and silence. As some of you already know, I am very inquisitive. Of course, first I try to find the answer for myself before bothering others.

Trust me, with my cheap tweaks and now with more mass these speakers sound very good, amazing. That is why I insist again and again on recommending them before they run out. They are a safe bet. Both for music and as auxiliary speakers in cinema system (the front bass-reflex is very interesting).

wushuliu

« Reply #35 on: 12 May 2018, 04:20 pm »
It was trial and error. One day looking at another thing on eBay I found a French NOS caps seller and offered them very cheaply, so I could not resist doing the test. I was just about to buy Jantzen red, recommended by Tony Gee (very gentle person). I liked so much the improvement in the treble so much that I decided that's how it stayed.

http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/Cap.html

My idea was to change the resistor too with an expensive Mundorf. Tony says me do not change the coil.

I also wanted to change the internal wiring for another one from Neotech SOCT-16 hookup wire (recommended by Danny Ritchie, very gentle person too) but I was unable to dismantle the speakers because the external rings must be very glued!

http://gr-research.com/

I'm confused. You say trial and error, but it sounds like you didn't actually try the Jantzen or change the wire or inductor, correct? You put on the polystyrene and that was it, right?

I'm going to agree with Tony Gee. A Jantzen 'Red' if you want to crisp clear highs and dimensionality. Claritycap if you want smooth, relaxed highs. Etc. IMO using the polystyrene is putting lipstick on a pig. That Bennic cap is terrible. I used to use them. Get a claritycap and use the polystyrene with that instead. Change the resistor. Those resistors add grain and harshness. You can replace the coil, just measure the value with any multimeter and buy the equivalent in good copper or even foil 20awg. IMO you can get much better sound quality from that speaker with just a little more effort.

maty

« Reply #36 on: 12 May 2018, 04:26 pm »
I did not buy nothing more, only the styroflex aka polystyrene film caps.

And after I optimized the W10 Pro for multimedia, and the soft players. Sometimes I forget a step and immediately notice the difference. Even with movies or series!

As long as the voltage does not exceed 238 Vac I have a great sound especially at night and wekends when my horrible mains is more clean.

wushuliu

« Reply #37 on: 12 May 2018, 04:27 pm »
Würth 150kHz RF ferrite.

It was trial and error too. I have a lot of in my house, and Schaffner RF/EMI FN9244B inlet filters too.

If you put the RF ferrite in the speaker cable (outside the box) -> sound equalized like "U" -> too much highs :(

The same effect, U, with my big 3-way speakers (woofer: 10.8") of the big room, kidnapped by TV and family.

I do not have a logical explanation. I asked in the diyaudio.com forums and silence. As some of you already know, I am very inquisitive. Of course, first I try to find the answer for myself before bothering others.

They don't have an answer because it's not clear what problem you are trying to fix. And without measurements there's no way to know what's happening. Which is why you'd be better off just starting by replacing with good quality parts first and then proceed from there. Ferrites are undpredictable when is placed in proximity to other components. If the ferrite sounds different INSIDE the speaker as opposed to OUTSIDE (I think that is what you are saying) that means it is affecting the other components. Maybe even the woofer magnets inside.

wushuliu

« Reply #38 on: 12 May 2018, 04:32 pm »
I did not buy nothing more, only the styroflex aka polystyrene film caps.

Replace that cap. Replace the resistor. Don't need anything fancy either. ANYTHING will be better than what is there now (look at Tony Gee's rating for cheap Bennics. Some of the worst ratings in his list). After that remove the ferrite and compare. That would be my suggestion.

maty

« Reply #39 on: 12 May 2018, 04:44 pm »
Maybe this summer.

I want to build a furniture to my second system. Thick plywood shelves with hidden 1 mm steel sheet glued below (I have "tons" of RF/EMI in the air too).