Elyse DAC valve/tube rolling

MotherSky

Elyse DAC valve/tube rolling
« on: 19 Apr 2019, 05:30 pm »
Hello fellow Modwright disciples - having been a long time user of Modwright equipment    ( my venerable level II modded P1a/P3a has only recently been pensioned off, and I currently use the excellent LS100 ) I was very pleased to get my hands on a very well looked after Elyse DAC - currently on approval  - for which I have acquired a small selection of valves to try before committing the purchase - I have just installed a black base Mullard GZ34 and a pair of National Matsushita PC88's (I have also ordered some other PCC88's recommended by DW himself....)  - so far, the clarity, resolution and soundstaging are all pretty stunning, but bass weight/extension is somewhat lacking - this could be partly down to the valves needing some sort of breaking in period (?) but I would very much like to hear other's experiences/ recommendations, especially with regard to achieving ample quantities of  deep, well articulated bass - all suggestions greatly appreciated, but I should mention that I am based in England, so don't have easy access to any of the American suppliers - thanks in advance chaps - MH

MotherSky

Re: Elyse DAC valve/tube rolling
« Reply #1 on: 21 Apr 2019, 08:51 pm »
As you were.... Clearly I should have been more patient - the PCC88's that the excellent Mr Wright recommended turned up - I fitted these (and cleaned the filthy pins on my GZ34) and voila, everything snapped into place - everything I could have hoped for and more - I may yet footle about experimenting with fancy rectifiers etc, but I am at least able to decide that I shall definitely be keeping the DAC - it really is sounding staggeringly good 8)

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #2 on: 21 Apr 2019, 10:38 pm »
A dear friend brought his Elyse DAC to my house last fall for some listening and comparing to my Lampizator DAC. He brought a collection of rectifier tubes that we worked our way through (some quite expensive), but the relatively modestly priced RCA 5r4 I was using in my DAC was hands down the best performing in the Elyse. When he returned home he purchased one and confirmed to me it was the same result in his system as well. Consider trying one.

cheech

« Reply #3 on: 24 Sep 2022, 09:33 pm »
Ever since I have had the Elyse I've used a NOS Phillips 5AR4 rectifier. However, after recently reading some What'sBestForum threads regarding tube swapping in Lamizator DACs  I decided to give a Sophia Electric Aqua 274B a try in place of the 5AR4 in the Elyse. I have been pleased with the Phillips over the years and never considered shifting to a 274B eventhough Dan has it listed as an alternative rectifier for the DAC. Your mileage may vary but to my ears the 274B improves the overall SQ and body of the Elyse. Wish I had made the change much earlier.

qdrone

« Reply #4 on: 1 Nov 2022, 07:02 pm »
Have you tried The Big Ugly,a 54UG?  It replaced the 54RAGYS I had in it. It got rid of the edginess in the highs without prohibiting the extension of high frequencies. I use in with Tungsten 88.