Clean power for tubes

Denton J

Clean power for tubes
« on: 24 Apr 2024, 08:13 pm »
I am surprised we can’t start a poll. I am slowly but surely putting together a tube system, how important is it to spend 1-3k on a audio specific power conditioner?

newzooreview

Re: Clean power for tubes
« Reply #1 on: 24 Apr 2024, 09:10 pm »
If you look at the home page for this Circle, you should see a "New Poll" button at the top right.

The documentation for the forum software is here, but the AudioCircle forum may not implement all of the possible features in the software that runs it: https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Posting#Poll_Options

newzooreview

« Reply #2 on: 24 Apr 2024, 09:17 pm »
Regarding power conditioners, my Puritan PSM156 was the single most beneficial addition to my full system (other than swapping out speakers).

I suspect that the choice of power conditioners might be somewhat dependent on the types of issues you have, so it's difficult to predict which conditioner will address things that your system might be susceptible to and the things that are prevalent on your AC at home.

One thing I learned the hard way is to first check that the outlets are grounded and wired with the correct polarity. It's surprisingly common for home electricity to be wired incorrectly in some essential manner.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 24 Apr 2024, 09:20 pm »
Its somewhat important for DACs and preamps.
If your wall Tension is low as 100V or 120V there is not much you can do.

Denton J

« Reply #4 on: 24 Apr 2024, 09:45 pm »
Thanks for the info. I don’t have any pre-identified issues. 

BritneySpears

« Reply #5 on: 25 Apr 2024, 09:12 am »
Baulking at the prices of these things I have gone the diy route. Took part in Fo-Felix groupbuy and added DC blockers for good measure.

Just like any piece of audio gear you must audition the filter. Being able to return it is key.

I once brought back interconnects because I could not hear a difference. They weren't amused at the store. But stuck to their promise to take em back.

Back to my semi diy (you buy the board and buy the parts yourself etc.) I  am sure I could not hear the difference in my system with or without it. But I still keep em in.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #6 on: 25 Apr 2024, 10:14 am »
In a properly made electrical installation there should be no major problems, I would rather have an efficient grounding around 1 ohm than pay for power conditioners.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #7 on: 25 Apr 2024, 04:04 pm »
Other than using a bucking transformer to drop my high line voltage down for vintage power transformers I have not experienced any benefit with other devices used on tube amplifiers with well designed power supplies.

For reference I live in a smaller town (under 20k) in a residential area with a hospital and health care offices 3 to 4 blocks away.