How about Modwright licensing Squeezebox/Transporter technology for new Preamp?

sleepysurf

• Member of the Suncoast Audiophile Society
    • Suncoast Audiophile Society
Here's a suggestion for Dan.  I discovered the "little known" fact that Logitech is willing to LICENSE their Squeezebox/Transporter technology for other audio manufacturers to incorporate into their own designs.  It would be tres' cool to design a Modwright Preamp that incorporates this technology, along with the other Modwright engineering!   That's something I'd shell out major $$ for, and could replace my current Squeezebox/Benchmark/SWL 9.0 "three box" setup.  References to the licensing can be found in the 2nd page of this thread...
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=64706

modwright

GOOD IDEA!
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jun 2009, 04:14 am »
I will look into the $ end of the licensing arrangement.

What I would like to be able to license is their firmware and hardware that allows the wifi/ethernet exchange of information. We can design our own DAC to follow.  The slimserver software is pretty much open domain, but the technology at the heart of the 'Squeezebox' technology is not I am sure.

I really appreciate you point this out to me!  I will look into it and decide if it is a feasible route for us to go or not.

USB is fine and there are other interfaces, but they all face their own challenges.  One of the things that I have always thought was great about the Transporter was the direct computer interface via ethernet.  It is my impression, that this is superior to USB.

I am sure now there will be people telling me how and why I am wrong. That's fine too.  If I am wrong, I would welcome the debate.  I don't claim to be an expert in what is the ultimate interface.  USB is very convenient of course, but I am not sure that it is the best route.

Thanks!

Dan

Marco Prozzo

Re: GOOD IDEA!
« Reply #2 on: 23 Jun 2009, 03:06 pm »
USB is fine and there are other interfaces, but they all face their own challenges.  One of the things that I have always thought was great about the Transporter was the direct computer interface via ethernet.  It is my impression, that this is superior to USB.

I am sure now there will be people telling me how and why I am wrong. That's fine too.  If I am wrong, I would welcome the debate.  I don't claim to be an expert in what is the ultimate interface.  USB is very convenient of course, but I am not sure that it is the best route.

Thanks!

Dan

A Modwright DAC would be a brilliant addition to your line, Dan.  You probably already know about this, but just in case; If you do pursue USB as an option, you may want to look into the asynchronous USB protocol being used by Gordon Rankin in all of his DACs now...what do you think?.  I believe Empirical is also using asynchronous technology in their Pacecar via that (de-jitter) devices connection to computers also.   

rydenfan

Ayre has licensed Gordon's technology as well for their DAC.

Dan, it could be very cool should you be able to license the interface from Logitech and incorporate it into your own DAC  :drool:

sleepysurf

• Member of the Suncoast Audiophile Society
    • Suncoast Audiophile Society
Other high-end manufacturers are pursuing USB, I2S, firewire, and other "proprietary" solutions.  However, I haven't seen any real evidence they offer substantial improvement over basic ethernet (wired preferable over wireless) transmission.  I'm not sure if ethernet has the same "peak" throughput capabilities, but it can handle up to 24/192, which is likely the highest resolution we'd ever need (24/96 arguably more than adequate).  The Logitech/Slimdevices ethernet approach is a tried, and proven, solution, and would be easiest for Dan to implement into a new preamp design.  The open-source environment for the software/server side ensures it will be viable for quite some time.  In addition, there are already a fair number of audiophiles running SqueezeCenter (soon to be renamed Squeezebox Server, I believe), vs. a very small percentage going one of the other routes.  Hopefully Dan will f/u on the viability of this shortly.  I'll be happy to sign up as a beta tester!  :D

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
A Modwrght DAC?  Hmmmmm...what an idea.    :wink:  (I've been telling Dan he needed to build one now for 4 years!!!...ask him.   :D  )

Logitech is talking about making Squeeze Center lite, which would run as a small footprint on some client devices.  Dan's DAC/cleinet would be a great thing.  i agree that USB is everywhere, but unless you build proprietary drivers and aysnch mode 9liek gordon) it's a PITA sonically.  The ethernet route is so ingenious cuz it spearates the master clock from the stream.  Even "jitter geologist" (my new term for folks like) Steve Nugent agrees that things like the TP and SB3 are low jitter leaders (he just dislikes their stock sound, of course).

modwright

Thanks guys, I did inquire with Gordon about licensing, but it was a BIG number ($)!

The Slim devices client tech could be JUST the ticket!

Right now I am rocking the music room with the first notes out of the modified Oppo BDP-83!

Take care,

Dan

talk2me

targa02

Here's a suggestion for Dan.  I discovered the "little known" fact that Logitech is willing to LICENSE their Squeezebox/Transporter technology for other audio manufacturers to incorporate into their own designs.  It would be tres' cool to design a Modwright Preamp that incorporates this technology, along with the other Modwright engineering!   That's something I'd shell out major $$ for, and could replace my current Squeezebox/Benchmark/SWL 9.0 "three box" setup.  References to the licensing can be found in the 2nd page of this thread...
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=64706

This would be way cool!   :drool:

modwright

I have spoken with an official at logitech/slim devices and we had a good talk.  It is not a simple matter of a licensing, but if possible would actually be an OEM purchase arrangement of some raw hardware that could be integrated into our designs, enabling us to have the tech.

Unfortunately, in order for this to happen, they need to know that there is a large enough aggregate demand from a NUMBER of manufacturers to insure that it is worth their while to do so.  Given that we are dealing with a computer company, catering to the high-volume market and not an audio company, the quantities that they envision have quite a few more zeros after them than those in this industry are accustomed to.  It may be possible, but not right away.

The alternative would be to simply use a Squeeze box or Duet to interface with a MWI DAC via toslink or RCA, but I don't know that there is a good way to go direct from the compuer interface to a MWI DAC at this point.  I have some other ideas in mind, but they will have to be 'costed out'.

Thanks!

Dan