Integrate Modwright 9100ES and LS 36.5 with Naim Headphone Amp

cwt108

Would like to know if anyone currently uses headphone as part of their audio system?

My question is this. Should I connect my headphone amp directly with my CDP?

or

Should I connect it to LS 36.5 (Pre-amp)?

If so, is there any advantage to connect headphone amp with a pre-amp since we usually should make the connection as short as possible between each equipment. With LS 36.5, should the headphone amp connect to main outputs or tape-out? with tape-out, I believe that all circuit and gain are passed (same effect as HT/BP)? Then, I am basically wasting my tube's life.

Basically, what is the best way to connect a headphone amp? Direct source or Pre-amp?

Appreciate for your expertise.

cwt108

I just did some additional research.

This is what I think -- any feedback or input will be appreciated.

1. By using Tape-Out, I will bypass all gain and volume control. However, the sound will still go through Modwright circuit and potential gain some benefits from Dan's tube work (warm vocie and more organic/smooth sounding).

2. By using HT/Bypass, everything is skipped (as the LS 36.5 does not exist).

So it might still be a benefit to connect my Naim Amp to LS36.5 via Tape out than connecting directly to 9100ES.

Any comment?

funkmonkey

I think you are on the right track.  Tape out should give you a constant line level signal with all the 36.5 goodness intact. 
HT bypass port is "in" only.  You would get no signal if connected to a headphone amp.

I have been wondering lately about using headphones with my 36.5 too.  I havent tried it yet, but have thought about using a stereo RCA to single 1/4"(or 1/8") adapter plugged directly into a set of main outs and then plug the headphones in... 

The other thought I had was to see if Dan could simply add a headphone jack to my 36.5.

modwright

Hi guys, just a clarification.

The tape out is simply a direct intput to output connection, much like the HT/BP, except that whatever input is selected is sent straight to the tape out.  I would recommend connecting the headphone amp directly to the tape out.  You can then connector whichever source that you normally run through your LS 36.5, to the headphone amp.  Unless you need the additional gain, or there is advantage to the 100ohm output impedance of the LS 36.5, then there is no need to use the active gainstage in the LS 36.5.

If you connect the headphone amp to the HTBP outs, then you may turn the preamp off and achieve the same effect, except that your source needs to be connected to the HT/BP input.

If you can benefit from the low output impedance of the LS 36.5 and your headphone amp functions better with a balanced output, then by all means, drive the headphone amp with the LS 36.5.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Dan W.

cwt108

So based on Dan's clarification:

If I only have one source (CDP), I probably should just direct connect CDP with my Headphone AMP,
since Tape-out from LS 36.5 will just be a direct in-out (Bypass).