Modwright SWL 9.0 muting circuit to block DC

cactusjack

Modwright SWL 9.0 muting circuit to block DC
« on: 18 Apr 2009, 04:55 pm »
Is there a way to determine if a 9.0 preamplifier has the muting circuit to momentarily block DC from the outputs ( serial number or physically look inside at the circuitry)? I read about this on Audiogon a while back. Seems to be important if running a 9.0 with a Belles 350A reference. Which i want to do.
I am very careful to always turn the amp on last and off first, so would this prevent needing this circuit mod if the 9.0 I get is older than the ones with this update?
Thanks
Jack

modwright

Re: Modwright SWL 9.0 muting circuit to block DC
« Reply #1 on: 18 Apr 2009, 08:07 pm »
Please contact me directly - Dan Wright - and I can tell you.  If it is an older unit, I would recommend having the PS upgraded.  We have made significant advances in the PS design for the 9.0SE over time.  The mute/DC turn-on issue was resolved early on and things have steadily improved sonically since then.

Thanks,

Dan

cactusjack

« Reply #2 on: 25 Apr 2009, 08:47 pm »
Dan:
I sent a direct email to you twice in the last week since I did not receive a reply, I was wondering if you ever received them. Is the email listed under your Facilitator status a good one?
Thanks
Jack

modwright

« Reply #3 on: 26 Apr 2009, 07:57 pm »
The email to reach me at directly, is: modwright@yahoo.com.  I can also forward emails from this acount to my Blackberry when out of the office.

Thanks,

Dan

cactusjack

« Reply #4 on: 10 May 2009, 02:28 pm »
I have been really busy this week and am just getting back to important (fun things). Thanks to Dan for answering my questions on the phone and taking a look at pictures of my power supply to verify that it had the right components to allow cautious use with the Belles 350 A Reference preamp. It blew me away when he answered the phone. After reading this interest group back to front I see why everyone is so high on his products and service even after the sale. I have the stock Jan 5687's and the stock Sovtek rectifier so I will really be following the SWL tube rolling topic with interest while I save up for additional mods.