Recommendation on Interconnection and Speaker cables.

cwt108

I am looking for recommendations on interconnection and speaker cables.
I suspect that I might want to upgrade my exsting cables.
Any suggestion would be appreciate.

This is my current 2-channel system.

CD/SACD Player: Modwright 9100ES Full-Mod (with Mullard 5AR4).
Pre-Amp: Modwright LS 36.5 (with Phillip Miniwatts).
Amp:  Ci Audio D200 Monoblocks.
Speakers: Sonus Faber Cremona.
Interconnection:  DH Labs Air Matrix
Speaker Cables:  DH Labs Silver Sonic Q-10

Thx

denjo

Re: Recommendation on Interconnection and Speaker cables.
« Reply #1 on: 14 Oct 2007, 05:54 pm »
I swopped interconnects to Slinkylinks (silver) and am very pleased with the improvement - more air, detail, but none of the brightness often associated with silver. I have also ordered Slinkylinks speaker cables. No further swops necessary for a long time!

Bigfish

« Reply #2 on: 14 Oct 2007, 06:15 pm »
I am looking for recommendations on interconnection and speaker cables.
I suspect that I might want to upgrade my exsting cables.
Any suggestion would be appreciate.

This is my current 2-channel system.

CD/SACD Player: Modwright 9100ES Full-Mod (with Mullard 5AR4).
Pre-Amp: Modwright LS 36.5 (with Phillip Miniwatts).
Amp:  Ci Audio D200 Monoblocks.
Speakers: Sonus Faber Cremona.
Interconnection:  DH Labs Air Matrix
Speaker Cables:  DH Labs Silver Sonic Q-10

Thx

Hi:

Based on my experience if you tell the guys on AC what sound qualities you are looking to improve will help them with the recommendations.  I am currently using Grover ICs and Greg Straley Reality SCs.  Both cables are highly thought of here on AC. 

Good Luck and I am sure you will obtain a lot of choices.

Ken

Philistine

« Reply #3 on: 14 Oct 2007, 07:05 pm »
I found (luckily) that my Modwright 999ES was not IC sensitive - heard no difference with most good IC's, and settled with Gregg Straley's Reality IC's.  Whereas the preamp-power amp connection was IC critical, and found Gregg's IC's to be the best performer.
Also concur on speaker cables - found Gregg's to outperform other rated cables costing 4-5 times the price.

kenreau

Budget constraints will dictate some choices.  The DH Labs is a reasonable line.  What are you looking to change about them?

I've had great results with the Audience AU24 line and Cardas Golden Reference.  The Acoustic Zen and JPS labs are also highly regarded.

cwt108

« Reply #5 on: 16 Oct 2007, 07:13 pm »
I am hoping to increase the clarity and more air.
I am thinking around 1~2 K for the speaker cables or maybe include one pair of interconnection.

kenreau

« Reply #6 on: 16 Oct 2007, 08:27 pm »
I've had great results with the Audience AU24 line.  I suggest you get the full complement; power cords, ic's and speaker cables.  They turn over on Audiogon every so often and make a low risk venture. 

Another cable series worth evaluating is Silent Source, rep'd by Lloyd Walker.  Lloyd's recommendations are no-brainer's.  I had the SS power cords and ic's for 2 years before moving into Cardas GR. 

cwt108

« Reply #7 on: 19 Oct 2007, 06:27 pm »
I just got a good deal on au24 speaker cables.
What is your opinion IC and power cord? Some people believe that the only important IC is between preamp and amp?
Especially, for the power cord, is the improvement noticeable significantly?

jaywills

« Reply #8 on: 19 Oct 2007, 06:32 pm »
"I am hoping to increase the clarity and more air."

You might consider trying Paul Spelz "anti-cables" (no affiliation).  One of my amps is UcD based and they seemed to add what you are looking for. Cordially,

Bigfish

« Reply #9 on: 19 Oct 2007, 09:58 pm »
I just got a good deal on au24 speaker cables.
What is your opinion IC and power cord? Some people believe that the only important IC is between preamp and amp?
Especially, for the power cord, is the improvement noticeable significantly?

I use the Black Sands Silver PCs connected to my Mono SE Amps and Candela Preamp.  Based on some recommendations I tried switching back to the stock cords.  I listened to one of my favorite tunes and the loss of detail and dynamics really shocked me.  It did not take me long to put the Black Sands PCs back in the system.  I would say it was a good experiment and clearly demonstrated the value of the PCs to my ears.  If you have the $$ you could step up to the Black Sands Statement PCs which DU and several others who have owned both the Silvers and Statements hear improvements from the Statements.

I think you are also questioning if ICs significantly change the sound?  I can say the answer is absolutely yes and I have not found ICs yet that provide the combination of detail and warmth I seek.  A friend here on the Circle just recommended I try a pair of VH Audio Pulsars which I will probably do.

Good Luck,

Ken

rpf

« Reply #10 on: 20 Oct 2007, 06:12 pm »
Some cabling I've found goes well with my Modwright based system includes VH Audio ICs and PCs, Black Sand PCs, Kubala Sosna ICs, Ridge St. Audio Alethius SCs, and lately, with my switch to mono-blocks, Jena Labs SCs. I'll be trying some Jena Labs ICs soon.

denjo

« Reply #11 on: 20 Oct 2007, 06:35 pm »
I tried Slinkylinks IC and SC and the synergy sounded right in my system.

cwt108

« Reply #12 on: 22 Oct 2007, 08:24 pm »
Some cabling I've found goes well with my Modwright based system includes VH Audio ICs and PCs, Black Sand PCs, Kubala Sosna ICs, Ridge St. Audio Alethius SCs, and lately, with my switch to mono-blocks, Jena Labs SCs. I'll be trying some Jena Labs ICs soon.

Based on your experience, the third-party (i.e. Black Stone) PCs should be first used on the PS9.0 for 9100ES or LS 36.5 or the Amp???
I have a limited budget. As a general rule, I should change IC before PS right?
That is what I thinking the order of importance... please let me know if I am wrong.

0. Speaker Cables
1. IC -- Preamp to amp.
2. IC -- CD player to Preamp.
3. PS -- AMP??? ( I am using Ciaudio Monoblock D200.. actually need 2 PS).
4. PS -- Preamp (LS 36.5)
5. PS -- Player -- PS 9.0 for 9100ES??

My top budget can only afford 2 IC and 2 PS. I am going with AU24 products since I already bought a pair of AU24 SC.
I have similar system like yours: 9100ES Tube-Ref, LS 36.5, CiAudio D200, and Sonus Faber Cremona.

HumanMedia

« Reply #13 on: 22 Oct 2007, 11:58 pm »
I use a VH Audio Spectrum (Copper) interconnect into the SWL Linestage, and Grover S Mark 2 interconnects out to the power amps.

I am tempted to try the very latest Grover SC interconnects in place of the Spectrums.

I tried a few power cables (including the VHAudio Flavor 2 and 4 and Black Sands Silver and Violet) into the SWL, but none seemed to fit perfectly.  On a hunch based on descriptions of the sound of the components, I ended up making a DIY power cable from Neotech NEP-3003 cabling and Oyaide P-004 and C-004 (plug and IEC).  I coupled this with an Oyaide R-1 outlet and this combo has great synergy with the SWL and took the sound quality up a big notch.

With the DIY power cord I made up and in-particular the Grover cables, lots of burn in time was needed for the final sound to emerge.

rpf

« Reply #14 on: 23 Oct 2007, 12:27 am »

Based on your experience, the third-party (i.e. Black Stone) PCs should be first used on the PS9.0 for 9100ES or LS 36.5 or the Amp???
I have a limited budget. As a general rule, I should change IC before PS right?
That is what I thinking the order of importance... please let me know if I am wrong.

0. Speaker Cables
1. IC -- Preamp to amp.
2. IC -- CD player to Preamp.
3. PS -- AMP??? ( I am using Ciaudio Monoblock D200.. actually need 2 PS).
4. PS -- Preamp (LS 36.5)
5. PS -- Player -- PS 9.0 for 9100ES??

My top budget can only afford 2 IC and 2 PS. I am going with AU24 products since I already bought a pair of AU24 SC.
I have similar system like yours: 9100ES Tube-Ref, LS 36.5, CiAudio D200, and Sonus Faber Cremona.

Yes, I think you've basically got it right. I would upgrade ICs before PCs (probably CDP to Preamp first).

With PCs in my various system configurations, I've found the CDP to consistantly be the most important link, i.e., the piece that requires the best PC. Everything else seems to be about equally important but if I had to put an order to the balance of the gear, it would be: Linestage, Amp(s), and CDP Power Supply.

Although others have often recommended staying with the same manufacturer throughout the wire loom, this has not worked out for me. I've found the limitations or drawbacks of a given brand magnified by having too many pieces from the same supplier. Hence the variety in my system. Your experience of course may vary. You might find the following cable review and comparison I wrote interesting.
Disclaimer: I will be selling the SC reviewed below as I've switched to mono-blocks and have upgraded.

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?rcabl&1190044367&openusid&zzRpf&4&5#Rpf

Good luck,
Rob

rpf

« Reply #15 on: 23 Oct 2007, 12:41 am »
A couple of additional points. Yes, a better cord seems to make more difference on the CDP than on the CDP power supply. Counterintuitive perhaps, but it's been my experience on three different players. A heavier gauge cord is not always the better choice for a power amp over a lighter gauge one in the same price range (beyond stock cord gauge of course). Again counterintuitive perhaps but I like lighter gauge Black Sand Violets over heavier gauge cords from VH Audio on my amps (with the same connectors, which are as important as the wire in all cabling). I also liked lighter gauge cords from VH Audio over heavier (and more expensive) ones from the same company. I actually like the heavy gauge VH Audio AirSines best on the CDP and Linestage (and better than several more expensive cords from other brands).

Anyway, again, Good luck.

jazzcourier

« Reply #16 on: 23 Oct 2007, 09:15 pm »
I will bring your attention to Supra Sword cables and Supra Sword ic's,i have been using them with Cremona's and the Modwright preamp and CdP you are using.They are revealing AND neutral and great messengers!

rlmacklin

« Reply #17 on: 2 Nov 2007, 03:25 pm »
I sent two of my Black Sand Violet PCs back to John Cook for retermination with Oyaide P-004 and C-004.
He chose to make up brand new Violets w/ P-004/C-004 to replace my stock Violets.  These have been in place for several weeks on Modwright SWL9.0 Signature (w/ Bendix 6900s, and cryoed Philips 1957 metal base GZ34 in tube rectified power supply and Denon 3930CI universal player, with Oyaide R1 outlets at walls.  The new Violets w/P-004/C-004 have raised the bar over the stock Violets in terms of tone and timbre, detail/resolution, and musicality.  Very worthwhile improvement to my ears.
Interconnects from source to Modwright linestage and Modwright to "Klaus's special boards" Odyssey Mono Extreme SEs are currently second or third white Grover S.  Grover is making me enough of his new carbon/nickel shielded Grover "SC" interconnects to replace all ICs in my system... but they have not arrived yet...
Speaker cables are Grover S bi-wires to Polk SRS-2s, Grover URs to Polk FXi-5s, and Grover SR to center Polk CSi-5.

rlmacklin 

Daedalus Audio

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.daedalusaudio.com
« Reply #18 on: 2 Nov 2007, 03:40 pm »
I am hoping to increase the clarity and more air.
I am thinking around 1~2 K for the speaker cables or maybe include one pair of interconnection.

i'd highly recomend the Empirical Design cables,  pretty much everyone i've introduced them to has re-done their system with them. they do just wht you're looking for , and they're affordable.  Karl is very knowledgeable and a great guy to deal with.

good luck,
lou

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?fcabl&1172712551&read&keyw&zzdaedalus

IronLion

« Reply #19 on: 2 Nov 2007, 03:45 pm »
Zu Cables