SS Preamp for KWA 150SE

minatophase3

SS Preamp for KWA 150SE
« on: 23 Dec 2021, 07:53 pm »
Is anyone running a SS preamp with their KWA 150SE?  I am looking for recommendations for a nice SS Preamp with at least one balanced connection that would pair well with the KWA 150SE as I really do not want to add tubes.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Budget would be up to $5K.

dflee

Re: SS Preamp for KWA 150SE
« Reply #1 on: 23 Dec 2021, 08:09 pm »
Look in the used market for an Accuphase or Luxman.
While not with a KWA amp, I have a C11 pre and it has done well with any of the amps I've paired with it.

Don

minatophase3

« Reply #2 on: 23 Dec 2021, 08:29 pm »
Thanks Don, will do a search.  I have been thinking of getting an Accuphase or Luxmin integrated and selling the KWA 150SE, but it is such a great amp I  am not sure I want to go that route.

JackD

« Reply #3 on: 24 Dec 2021, 12:38 am »
Wyred 4 Sound STE-SE Stage 2.

minatophase3

« Reply #4 on: 24 Dec 2021, 01:43 am »
Wyred 4 Sound STE-SE Stage 2.
Thanks JackD, will check that one out.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #5 on: 24 Dec 2021, 01:46 am »
Pass Labs are a good match for the ModWright gear, tonally speaking.

minatophase3

« Reply #6 on: 24 Dec 2021, 05:32 am »
Pass Labs are a good match for the ModWright gear, tonally speaking.
Thanks Tyson, will look at those as well.  I hope to go audition several of the Luxman integrated amps in the next week or so and to have an in home demo of an Accuphase E380 within the next couple of months.  I can't imagine they will sound better than the  MW 150SE but always fun to test :-)

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #7 on: 25 Dec 2021, 03:11 am »
Consider a Parasound JC 2 BP.  Completely black background, detailed and resolving.  Performs way above its price point.  Also, a used Pass XP10.

Rocket

« Reply #8 on: 25 Dec 2021, 03:26 am »
Hi,

Seems like your budget would be suitable to buy a modwright preamplifier. I would have thought that would have been good option.

Best of luck.

Cheers Rod

minatophase3

« Reply #9 on: 25 Dec 2021, 03:32 am »
Thanks I.Greyhound Fan will look at those. 

Rocket - I think MW only has tube preamps, maybe I am wrong.

eichlerera1

« Reply #10 on: 25 Dec 2021, 04:59 am »
I use the Modwright Anniversary PreAmp with the Modwright KWA 100SE Amp.
A match made in heaven!
I really suggest you use a tubed PreAmp with your Modwright KWA 150SE.
Talk to Dan about this!

minatophase3

« Reply #11 on: 25 Dec 2021, 05:22 am »
I use the Modwright Anniversary PreAmp with the Modwright KWA 100SE Amp.
A match made in heaven!
I really suggest you use a tubed PreAmp with your Modwright KWA 150SE.
Talk to Dan about this!
I did have an older but reworked MW SWL 9.0 SE with upgraded caps, NOS tubes and tube line power stage (I think that is what it was called).  I bought it used from a local dealer and when I had it paired with my Dynaudio Special 40 speakers it was awesome.  Made the SP40s really sing.  I recently upgraded to Spatial Audio M4 Sapphire open baffle speakers.  In order to save the tubes I took the preamp out of the chain and hooked my Lumin T2 directly to the KWA 150 SE and as the speakers broke in I was very pleased with the sound.  Excited to hear them with the preamp back in the mix and I was very surprised, it added very little to the sound.  It made a huge difference with the SP40's but very little difference with the M4's. 

The SWL 9.0 SE was my first experience with tubes and while I loved what they did with my SP40's I didn't like turning the preamp on/off, waiting for it to warm up, worrying about the tubes wearing out, etc.  I planned on dealing with it with the SP40's because of how much better it made them sound, but with the M4's that is not the case.  Given that I would prefer to go with a SS preamp or possibly well the KWA 150 SE and get a nice integrated.   That would probably be the way to go, but I really enjoy how the KWA 150 SE sounds, not sure if I can find that in an integrated without tubes.

Rocket

« Reply #12 on: 27 Dec 2021, 09:25 am »
Hello,

Sorry I misread your post and recommended a tube preamplifier when you wanted a recommendation for an ss preamplifier.

The only way you can really choose what is the best combination is to have one in your system and hear it for yourself. Currently, I use a Spread Spectrum Technologies Ambosia with Ampzilla mono blocks. If this is too expensive for your budget you could look at the SST Theobe preamplifier as well. I had one in my system recently and it was superlative and the phono stage is top notch as well.  I've used Red Wine Audio preamplifiers for years and I am not missing tubes at all.

Btw I had a beta Modwright SWL9.0 all those years ago.

Good luck with your decision.

Cheers Rod

eduke55

« Reply #13 on: 4 Feb 2022, 04:03 am »
I am using a Benchmark LA4 line amp(preamp). It mates very well with MW 225i(using bypass mode), AGP Tempo de Gran and Jeff Rowland 125's.
Very transparent letting amps "do their thing". Two balanced and rca inputs as well as balanced and rca outputs. It doesn't take up much shelf space either.

minatophase3

« Reply #14 on: 4 Feb 2022, 04:07 am »
I am using a Benchmark LA4 line amp(preamp). It mates very well with MW 225i(using bypass mode), AGP Tempo de Gran and Jeff Rowland 125's.
Very transparent letting amps "do their thing". Two balanced and rca inputs as well as balanced and rca outputs. It doesn't take up much shelf space either.
Funny you mention the Benchmark LA4, I have a friend bringing his over on Saturday to tryout in my system.  He loves it in his system.