New Receiver to drive my Magnepan MMGW

Paddlefoot

New Receiver to drive my Magnepan MMGW
« on: 14 Feb 2018, 07:18 pm »
Hi, looking to replace my old Pioneer with a new unit, would like to keep it around 1500.00 or less. i have four MMGW and a MMGC, plus a sub. thanks in advance. Greg

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
Re: New Receiver to drive my Magnepan MMGW
« Reply #1 on: 14 Feb 2018, 07:24 pm »
  Marantz or Denon. Yamaha may be too expensive. Cannot go wrong.

charles

Doublej

« Reply #2 on: 15 Feb 2018, 12:44 pm »
$1500 is a solid chunk of change for an AVR. All of the major Japanese brand will have products in this price range. You'll have plenty to choose from - Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Integra, Yamaha, Pioneer, Pioneer Elite.

I would peruse Sound and Vision and Audioholics to get a lay of the landscape.  I would also consider an Anthem AVR and separates, e.g. Outlaw Audio and Emotiva. These separate will not have all of the features of the Japanese but may sound better.

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 15 Feb 2018, 02:08 pm »
If in the US - accessories4less.com has deals on authorized refurbs including many of the brands noted above.

mcgsxr

« Reply #4 on: 15 Feb 2018, 02:23 pm »
Feels like a lot of 4 ohm speakers for most mass market receivers.

I exclusively buy receivers with pre outs so I can add an outboard amp. 

I went through this around 6 months ago and picked up a used Marantz.  Added my Sugden and Audio Refinement amps and done.

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 15 Feb 2018, 02:44 pm »
Feels like a lot of 4 ohm speakers for most mass market receivers.

I exclusively buy receivers with pre outs so I can add an outboard amp. 

I went through this around 6 months ago and picked up a used Marantz.  Added my Sugden and Audio Refinement amps and done.

I'd also be wary of too many 4 ohm speakers if they are a tough load.  I use an outboard amp with my Thiel 3.7s (a receiver won't drive them) in an integrated AV system.  I use a bunch of Thiels (most rated 4 ohms, 3 minimum) including an MCS1 center, Power Point front heights, SCS2s as side and rear surrounds.  I have Axiom in ceilings as rear Atmos speakers.  An Onkyo 3100 drives them fine.  I had a Wyred4Sound monoblock for a bit on the center but removed it after lightning damage at the end of last March.

Phil A

« Reply #6 on: 15 Feb 2018, 03:01 pm »
Per this - https://www.soundandvision.com/content/magnepan-mmg-speaker-system-measurements

the impedance is not bad but the sensitivity is going to require a decent amount of power.  If they are in an above average sized room and one is going to play movies at high levels, an outboard amp might be something to consider.

Doctacosmos

« Reply #7 on: 15 Feb 2018, 06:17 pm »
It’s a great year for upgrading your system!  All the necessities that aren’t going anywhere too soon have been around long enough to be available on affordable models.   I recently bought a reburbished Denon x4400 from accessories4less for $1000 but just saw a thread showing frys had them for $800 new I think