DO YOU LIKE THE SHAPE YOU'RE IN?

TheChairGuy

Re: DO YOU LIKE THE SHAPE YOU'RE IN?
« Reply #60 on: 9 Jun 2010, 02:38 pm »
Ditto. Just bought the book. Do I need to just know my blood type to figure this out?
Not, not absolutely necessary.....but it cuts the time down a lot in determining your Genotype when you do.

I'm sure there's a questionnaire or something in the book to make this determination, but if I need to call my doctor to find out my blood type then what else do I need to ask him for?

There is a substantial questionnaire in the book....and you can cut many of the more tedious steps out just by knowing your bloodtype.  If you had blood tests, you may have copies...it should be listed towards the top.

Additionally, Dr. D'Adamo sells thru his North America Pharmacal division a USD$9.95 blood typing kit that will give you results in a few minutes on your bloodtype and rh factor. http://www.4yourtype.com/prodinfo.asp?number=YTE001

It was spot-on with me...and later confirmed with proper blood tests about 10 years ago now.

There is a more expensive saliva-based secretor test (http://www.4yourtype.com/prodinfo.asp?number=TE002) which may give additional relevance to your underlying health issues.  Unfortunately, New York forbids these tests :roll: Silly.

A quick and dirty way of knowing if you are a secretor or non-secretor (only 15% of the population and, unfortunately, a variety of health issues are WAY more common with non-secretors) is if you have experienced substantial dental issues, particularly if they have happened at a young age...you are potentially a non-secretor.  A secretor is the 85% of the population that expresses his/her blood type in body fluids...fully expressing the natural defense mechanism. 

Those that do not express their blood types in body fluids (non-secretor), have less capable defense mechanisms that allow, among other things, bacteria to grow in the mouth relatively unchecked - causing dental caries.

Unlucky me, I'm of the other 15% :(  But, my teeth nor health is no longer helplessly spiralling down thanks to Dr. D'Adamo.

I think we are slightly afield of John Casler's original intent in this topic :?

John

BobM

« Reply #61 on: 9 Jun 2010, 02:54 pm »
Funny - as a very young kid I had tons of cavities, and I was out of school more than I was in for 1st and 2nd grade. But after that I rarely had tooth problems (probably because much of my molars were metal filled) and my constitution is very strong. I get maybe one cold per year, and it is very mild at that. My wife, who gets sick often, can't believe it if I actually say I'm not feeling well.

I guess the'll be more to this once I get the book and start reading and filling it all in.

ctviggen

« Reply #62 on: 9 Jun 2010, 03:14 pm »
Your subsequent post indicates that strength training has been rather problematic for you... injuries, boredom, etc. I mean, you know, I've tried both too and my recommendation (all of it, not one part picked out of context) is genuine. Thanks ;)

In my opinion, a good weightlifting routine is much better than a yoga routine.  Of course, you may find it the other way around.  However, you basically asserted that weightlifting is not as good as yoga, which is simply wrong. 

On another note, most of what is commonly asserted about eating and health has no basis in science.  For instance, you hear "eat less, exercise more", and one would believe that there are many long-term studies indicating that this philosophy works.  Are there?  You be the judge:

http://nymag.com/news/sports/38001/

Similarly, there's a common consensus that eating fruits and vegetables confers benefits to us.  Is this based in science?  It does not appear to be.  For example, here's a huge study where the test group ate lower amounts of fat and more fruits and vegetables and lower calories than the control group.  It took 415 MILLION dollars and involved over 48,000 people (primarily women).  They were followed for 8 years.  At the end of the study, there was no statistically significant difference between either group for anything -- not cancer, heart disease, death rates, etc. 

http://junkfoodscience.blogspot.com/2007/10/jfs-exclusive-part-two-of-countrys.html

http://junkfoodscience.blogspot.com/2007/10/junkfood-science-exclusive-big-one.html

Another discussion of this and other studies:

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/cardiovascular-disease/new-studies-hammer-low-fat-diet/

The vast majority of diet and exercise recommendations are not based in science.

ctviggen

« Reply #63 on: 9 Jun 2010, 03:21 pm »
Also, yoga is not without injuries (no exercise is).  Check out these links:

http://www.google.com/search?q=yoga+injuries&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

http://sportsinjuries.suite101.com/article.cfm/common_yoga_injuries
http://www.yogajournal.com/lifestyle/908
http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00063

Any exercise can cause injuries.  I did not note that some of my injuries were not caused by weightlifting.  I injured my ankle in an African dance class, where we danced without shoes and I later learned I have flat feet.  I injured my knee riding a racing bike.  I injured my back lifting suitcases out of a car on icy ground and slipping.  All of my injuries were not caused by weightlifting, so I apologize for giving that impression.   

Folsom

« Reply #64 on: 9 Jun 2010, 04:33 pm »
Knowing your blood type is the most basic thing you should know to understand GenoType, or get some direction. The rest of the information can be good, especially if you are plagued by problems you want to rid yourself of and are not getting anywhere. I got all mine done really cheap, under $100 at my college clinic place (they sent it away but charge nothing themselves really). I actually prefer the Lewis test to the saliva as I did the saliva and got the wrong results. However if you are a-b- then saliva would be necessary to figure our secreter status.

The Teeth thing... yes and no. I am Type A secreter and have always had bad teeth but statistically I am the least likely too! It could be from a number of things. Low thyroid activity for one is possible and can happen in association with eating wheat for some people. See this is what I mean by everyone's genetics are unique.

Another option http://www.thinkgeek.com/interests/giftsunder10/8f3d/

Supplements are not necessary. Dr. D'Adamo division for them is fantastic though, providing extremely good quality that are more specific and end up working better. The real point is though that they can only help do what food should be doing for you anyways. If you are in BAD shape there might be some that are good. Again though the overall idea is just eating the right food is what is going to do you the big favor.

I will be happy to answer questions people have about the different measurements and such to determine GenoType. Do realize there can be a bit of crossing and that is why further things are offered but you will still be so much healthier it is staggering. Although you could have really good genetic expression so you are rather just helping to prevent problems or passing problems onto your kids.

I think weight lifting is valid for anyone, and recommended for all GenoTypes however the amount of weight varies. For some really low weight is better and others medium is best. Heavy lifting is by choice and presents a lot of potential for harm and stress so do at your own risk. As some of you know how you are lifting may have more to do with development than just trying to do the 1-5 reps of huge weights. Yoga needs to be taught properly and frankly unless you know a little bit about your own body then there are few instructors out there that know much of anything about the body beyond the yoga scope itself. Everyone benefits from stretching and yoga holds more benefits than typically stretching in many ways. A lot of it has to do with aspects not of the stretching but literally just moving around. For example it helps prevent settling of internal organs. Either which way everyone will enjoy what they do for exercise. However some may find with GenoType recommendations that backing off of really intense exercise produces better results or some may find they need it for balance in their life. The point is this can help you get an idea if running 10 miles a day is good or bad. (it will benefit cardiovascular system temporarily but a Type A might just keep some belly fat that never leaves)

Bob there are a few things you should consider about studies. First within all of them there are people who did well or worse but due to low frequency it never gets counted as results. There is no categorizing them except as human. The difference between what fruits and vegetables you eat can make a big difference. However vegetables are good for you in many ways. The very introduction of them to your intestines changes the microflora into good ones instead of the bad ones that carbohydrates influence. Now also consider that these tests are silly because first off they measure how much diseases people develop, not how much they heal. I mean big flippin deal if a study shows "when we did this these people were not dieing".

That article about no affects in health... The example of Bob in it being short fat and bald... exercising but not losing weight... He obviously has some sort of thrifty genetics and what he eats controls his ability to lose weight. He could also by Type A and cortisol levels were too high to allow body fat to leave. There are so many possibilities. I personally ran and biked hard for a long time and ended up not losing weight but lost muscle. It caused a bunch of problems. The fact that I am Type A explains this in many ways. My digestion trouble as well does (which is soooo much better now). However when I reflect back the funny thing is I lost the most weight when I was eating as much as possible and exercising lightly. I also had not been eating meat or much tomatoes (both bad for me, well red meat). I mean the weight flew off. When I started running long etc it stayed :duh:. I am still recovering from that in some ways. If I had known to just not increase my exercise and eat a bit better I would of never had any issues losing weight.

wushuliu

« Reply #65 on: 9 Jun 2010, 10:28 pm »
Yews guys is crazy. I never would have thought to see this kind of thread on an Audio forum. Very inspiring. And only earlier I was feeling really bummed and ready to call it quits w/ audio forums (well other ones, not this one) because there's only so much armchair bickering and 300 hundred page long meandering threads I can take.

I'm about 6' and 265 lbs. The plus side is that's mostly muscle. I don't look fat, except a little paunch and handles. Even better, I don't have to work out to maintain the muscle. Just how I'm built. Downside is now that I'm mid-30's I can tell that all the muscle and no exercis is taxing my heart/body. A few years ago I started running. I did it regularly for about a year. it was amazing. My body just felt so happy. My muscles LOVE to run.

It's taken me a long time to realize how much my body craves this kind of fitness because I am an introvert/bookworm/cineaste and not the least bit sporty or competitive (But as a big black guy I am often asked as soon as I get in an elevator 'Did you see the game'? What game? The Fincher movie w/ Michael Douglas? That sucked!). I also realized that I just don't get along w/ too much bread/potatoes. I crave meat and vegetables. I love broccoli. There I said it. When I focus on those two, my well-being icnreases.

Anyhoos, I moved to LA and fell off the wagon. Now I am trying to get back on track. Started running again and am now focusing more on diet, starting w/ calories and balanced portions. So this thread came at the right time. I ordered the blood test kit and the D'adamo book from Amazon (yay prime!), because I have always felt I have a particular aversion to some types of foods and an energetic response to others. I am really psyched to check this out.

I also note that D'Adamo's work seems to have a lot in common w/ the millenia old health system of ayurveda...

Thanks so much guys for all the info. Just what I needed today.

dubya

K Shep

« Reply #66 on: 9 Jun 2010, 10:52 pm »
Yews guys is crazy. I never would have thought to see this kind of thread on an Audio forum. Very inspiring.

Passionate about a point of view.  Many on this site are A-personalities, if one can debate the way a cable sounds, one can debate what health approach works. 

Stick around, this site is much friendlier than that other site you speak of. 

Len_Dreyer

« Reply #67 on: 9 Jun 2010, 11:26 pm »
Scheduling an appointment to give blood to the American Red Cross, which will allow you to find out your blood type, is easily done online.

Folsom

« Reply #68 on: 10 Jun 2010, 02:21 am »
dubya the majority of African Americans are Type O blood. You are likely a "gatherer" who is a meso-endomorph. You look like a football player but muscle look bigger with the extra padding of endodermic tissue.

They are prone to some heart problems. Going low glycemic, off wheat, and low on dairy with the exception of some whey based cheeses will help.

I could be wrong but that is the basis of what I would guess. You should exercise for sure.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #69 on: 10 Jun 2010, 03:29 am »
Really, everyone should go off sugar and wheat.  These things drive insulin spikes, which drives ALL KINDS of other problems.  The only remaining question from a macro-nutrient standpoint is whether you should consume moderate/high or low amounts of saturated fat.  Most people can handle saturated fat just fine, but some cannot.  Personally, I cannot, so I cook food at a lower temperature and use olive oil instead of coconut oil.  I still eat eggs and cheese though, because both have a good amount of Vitamin K2, which (along with vitamin D3) regulates where calcium gets deposited - in your bones, or in your arteries.  The vast majority of people are seriously deficient in both of these vitamins. 

Not only that, but most people that are "health conscious", and have cut down on salt, are also likely to be iodine deficient, since table salt (not sea salt) has iodine added to it.  Sea Kelp tablets are a good way to get the iodine without the salt.  I know for me that it made a difference with my cold hands/feet, which I'd attributed to my blood thinner, Plavix.  When the cold hands/feet persisted after I got off Plavix, I knew it had to be something else.

If you are not reading it already, you really should check out Dr. Davis, a cardiologist who is on the cutting edge of heart disease prevention and regression:

http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/

Folsom

« Reply #70 on: 10 Jun 2010, 04:12 am »
Tyson not everyone has a problem with wheat or insulin issues. It is true that for almost everyone sugar is a problem.

Wheat plugs the insulin receptors in Type O blood. It degrades the intestines bad as well. For other blood types it often slows thyroids, influences bad microflora of the gut, and half the people are allergic, coilac, or some other sensitivity to it. However on an interesting note sometimes sprouted wheat is highly valuable to the diet. Corn on the other hand is a bigger problem for insulin. It does not plug anything but it drives the insulin wild all over the place. The combo of corn and wheat is diabetes for Type O people.

Wheat and sugar are very bad for them. Guess what? Coconut oil greatly increases the reactions to bad lectins and such in Type O blood. The only people on the planet that can eat coconut oil without harm are Type A non-secreters like Chairguy. It is true that on paper it looks good but on a blood level it is not good.

I wish I knew your blood type Tyson. A lot of what you are talking about are constant problems for Type A/AB warriors. For instance a few thing to note... There are lots of sources of vitamin K, like spinach. Cheese can be bad for cardiovascular issues often. Without magnesium your body can not process calcium correctly and will be more prone to things like calcification of arteries etc... If you are Type A/AB you can take Hawthorne to help. It acts like a solvent for calcification. For blood concerns for a Type A/AB warrior no red meat is best. No aged cheeses. No peppers because they thicken blood. However ginger is a blood thinner. Soy helps control the rate at which the vessels expand and contract. Stress on the other hand makes it all go south so if you are one stop doing HIIT and move to Tennis, Yoga (active), pilates, hiking, stuff like that.

Cold hands and feat can be an issue related to thyroids as well.

Cooking your own food helps reduce salt intake so drastically you might find yourself wanting to add it to things.

Fats

Here is some information valuable to processing fats. Animals fats in particular... Type A blood has weaker stomach acid to start. Also when they release IAP (intestinal alkaline phosphate) the Type A blood antigen floating around in their intestines actually counteracts with it, it literally slows down the processing of fats. This is a big reason they do poorly with red meat (Explorers are exception in some ways). Non-secreters do better because they have less of Type A antigen to counteract the IAP.

On the other hand Type O need IAP in order to absorb calcium. The trick is to eat meat and leafy greens though. The combination of dairy and meat stops digestion from working properly in Type O blood. IAP is released when there is animal protein... hence the only way to get good calcium is combination. Type A on the other hand can mix anything.

I realize I left out Type B and AB. AB either act like type A or like B typically. They can swing with Type A issues too some degree or Type B ones.

Type B do better with aged dairy than anyone else probably. Their problems are strange and seem unconnected with food as readily but do exists.

Also Type A/AB warriors are known for plaque build up. Low fat is just better at a blood level. However olive oil and some other high omega 3 are valuable, good for heart, and lower inflammation. Canola however is not and is an issue with thyroids as well.

The point is we can classify and designate good decisions based on genetic markers unless of playing a guessing game.

John Casler

« Reply #71 on: 10 Jun 2010, 08:49 am »

I think we are slightly afield of John Casler's original intent in this topic :?

John

I think it is ALL good, and when I have time, I will make a few comments.

I think it is important that "IF" you are going to investigate these issues that you;

1) Do so with an OPEN mind
2) Do so with a level of education that can allow you to understand the information
3) Be careful not to replace one system with an equally inadequate alternative
4) Question ANY information equally.

Oftimes an alternative explanation seems reasonable or attractive when in fact it is just as defective.  This does not mean that much of or most of an idea/theory is not supported, it just means that "some" of the structure or support is off.

So I'll try to offer some more thoughts on the subject when I have a little more time.

JohnR

« Reply #72 on: 10 Jun 2010, 10:22 am »
In my opinion, a good weightlifting routine is much better than a yoga routine.  Of course, you may find it the other way around.  However, you basically asserted that weightlifting is not as good as yoga, which is simply wrong. 

Oh... well, you know, I didn't mean to make it a contest, sorry Bob... but surely, "better" depends on the context and criteria? As I said, "I" don't think that (for the stated purpose of "being in shape" and the general trend that the thread had then about losing weight as well) that you "need" strength training. I base this on my own experience over the last five months or so. In that time my body has morphed to a large extent back to the shape it was in my 20's... it's weird - really weird, honestly. People who've known me for a while tell me I look great - even women, which is rather nice. That wasn't the intent of the changes I mentioned in my first post, but it's a nice side-effect. Perhaps I just lucked out and managed to hit on the right combo for my "Warrior" stenotype? YAH!!! If only I could grow blue skin as well. Going off to sharpen my spears and swords now ;) Thanks :D :green:

JohnR

« Reply #73 on: 10 Jun 2010, 10:43 am »
Hey John

John You bring up a good point and my suggestion that "strength training" is of significant value is not rooted in the traditional perceptions of weight training and "that culture".

It is based on the levels of stresses that are needed to reduce the effects of joint deteriorations, sarcopenia, and maintaining mineralization in the bones due to aging.

ALL exercise, including some of the more strenous forms of Yoga will help, but postures and body weight exercises are not quite as good as a well applied, progressive weight training program.

I don't have any basis on which to agree or disagree with you here. I feel a bit like I've been painted like some kind of Yoga fanatic, when in fact that was only one of several things I mentioned - regardless, I do think that Yoga has other benefits too, and that there does seem to be a tendency for you, Bob, etc to evaluate it only in your own terms about muscle this and that. It's fine anyway, I'm not trying to sell you anything or make you do it :)

The idea is to make and take the step NOW while many are still unaffected by some of what I mentioned above and this investment (just like any long term investment) can pay dividends in your 80's and 90's.

I'd agree entirely. It's so easy to get caught up in "career" and so on that basic things like taking care of your health take second place. It's never too late to start, but starting now is a good idea.

sts9fan

« Reply #74 on: 10 Jun 2010, 01:15 pm »
Really, everyone should go off sugar and wheat.

I am calling BS on the wheat.

Wheat plugs the insulin receptors in Type O blood.

I am a protein chemist and things like this always peak my interest.  I am not poo pooing but looking for clarity.  Wheat is not going to "clog" (I would call it non-specificlly bind) anything. A componet of the wheat very well may.  What is that componet?
What quantitative or qualitative methods were used?  I would guess that insulin levels in the blood after a controled intake may be an indirect way to check this but you still don't know the real why.  I would love to read any of this guys papers and review his experimental design.

I am a firm believer in personalized medicine and nutrition and have ordered his book to check out what he has to say. 
Question for OP and other believers how do you find the real poop from the fake?   

TheChairGuy

« Reply #75 on: 10 Jun 2010, 02:11 pm »
Question for OP and other believers how do you find the real poop from the fake?

When you begin to feel vibrant and stunningly 'alive' it's the real deal. Anything short of that is in several increments not right for you (a 'fake' when viewed introspectively)

4-5 live portions of the right veggies and 2-3 of the right portions of live fruits (common to all the Genotype recommendations) is an amazing starting point.  This makes me feel light and good every moment.  Paying attention to the grains, red/poultry/fish, vegetable proteins, fats, condiments recommendations on the Genotype diet mostly (for me, anyhow) is a leap of faith and investment in future health. 

Once the 5 servings of the right live veggies and 3 servings of the right live fruits are met I feel superb...so I really cannot tell if the rest of the recommendations are working or not  :scratch: I merely accept that they do as D'Adamo got the first part right :wink:

The exercise component seems keen for me, too - I need the right balance (a sense of 'balance' is an enormous part of Teacher lifestyle I've found) between calming and energetic is right for me.  I benefit tremendously from both in different ways.

Mind you, I am a Type AB+ non-secretor 'Teacher' and have had mountainous health issues from the day I was born (severe allergies to milk and Roseola almost killed me very early in life). The list of 'ists - Internist, Endocrinologist, Dentist, Psychologist, etc - I've seen in my life is stunning when I reflect back on it.

I'm 47 now - tho not genetically gifted with Brad Pitt looks - I get pegged for 5-10 years younger, routinely.  I'm absolutely the quickest 47 yo out on the basketball court and I'm waking up happy every day. 

My 25th college reunion is this weekend, so it'll be interesting to see how I stack out versus 500 or so of my similarly aged colleagues. 

So, there's how I determine real from fake....if I feel better, or not.  And I now feel GREAT :wink:

John

Folsom

« Reply #76 on: 10 Jun 2010, 03:02 pm »
I am calling BS on the wheat.

I am a protein chemist and things like this always peak my interest.  I am not poo pooing but looking for clarity.  Wheat is not going to "clog" (I would call it non-specificlly bind) anything. A componet of the wheat very well may.  What is that componet?
What quantitative or qualitative methods were used?  I would guess that insulin levels in the blood after a controled intake may be an indirect way to check this but you still don't know the real why.  I would love to read any of this guys papers and review his experimental design.

I am a firm believer in personalized medicine and nutrition and have ordered his book to check out what he has to say. 

You are correct it is something in wheat that binds to the insulin receptors. I forget where - maybe later I will find it - but I think he has some silly video about how that works.

For you to check out more of the nitty gritty information he has been compiling this...

http://www.drpeterjdadamo.com/wiki/wiki.pl/Welcome

The books are rather a decipherment of information out there that becomes usable to the average person who does not talk in protein and sugars language. You will not find extensive information in them because no one would get it.

The monographs for each GenoType have some information in them. It is a small link after the introduction paragraph.

http://www.4yourtype.com/departments.asp?dept=28

Personally I have really looked through a lot of different stuff to accumulate the information I have. You sometimes find it in weird places like when he is talking about the use of certain supplements. There is just so much of it, and he is only exposing people to the stuff he has found to be useful to us.

Folsom

« Reply #77 on: 10 Jun 2010, 03:04 pm »
Oh yes and if you are a real skeptic you will try it anyways because not all science is understood right away. That is of course with the understanding that it can not harm you (all known science and medicine can recognize he is not taking away any food groups or anything like that).

sts9fan

« Reply #78 on: 10 Jun 2010, 03:16 pm »
I am a skeptic when psuedoscience terms are used.  I also eat this crap up (pun intended).  I am a firm believer that "we" eat wrong.  I eat 80% vegitarian and love it. 
I always get leary of supplements though.  Push the "right foods" and "good foods" argumets on me and I am on board 100%.  Supplements turn me off though.  The under regulated nature of them lends itself to snakeoil. 
I am looking forward to trying this out

Kris

Folsom

« Reply #79 on: 10 Jun 2010, 03:19 pm »
 :green: right on!