TPA 3116 listening tour?

rhing

Re: TPA 3116 listening tour?
« Reply #60 on: 14 Jun 2014, 03:33 am »
Remove the top two screws on the front panel and the top two screws on the rear panel.

• Firmly hold the amp in its normal horizontal position while doing this, and use an appropriately sized Phillips head screwdriver to loosen the screws.
  • The screws are self-tapping metal screws, so they are in there firmly.
  • Please be careful not to strip the Phillips screw heads, or else opening the enclosure will require drilling out the screws.
  • Once the screws are removed, simply lift the top half of the enclosure and snap a photo or two of the connectors from the interior side to show if any of them have become disconnected from the amplifier circuit board.

If this task is too difficult to follow, then return the amp to me and I can test and repair it.

murphy11

« Reply #61 on: 14 Jun 2014, 10:54 am »
Joemamma says the wire is broken and he does not have a soldering iron and ability to repair the input.  Sent you a pm...

I used Kimber Silver Streak RCA cables with WBT connectors. Is there any recommendation for particular cables to use or not use with this amp? Maybe because the amp is so small, special cables or TLC is needed when making connections?

rhing

« Reply #62 on: 14 Jun 2014, 02:18 pm »
Joemamma says the wire is broken and he does not have a soldering iron and ability to repair the input.  Sent you a pm...

I used Kimber Silver Streak RCA cables with WBT connectors. Is there any recommendation for particular cables to use or not use with this amp? Maybe because the amp is so small, special cables or TLC is needed when making connections?

No special cables needed as far as I know. From experience, WBT-type RCA connectors can loosen chassis-mounted RCA connectors. I'll put some thread-lock on the connectors to insure they do not loosen. The binding posts are ones that Poultrygeist had posted about on the amp thread on this forum.

With my speaker cable spades, I didn't have any problems with the binding posts. I like them because they have a low metal mass and they are affordable. When I get the amp back for repair, I'll install a pair of Panasonic SEPF OSCON caps to replace the fake OSCONs.

murphy11

« Reply #63 on: 16 Jun 2014, 08:09 pm »
Thanks. Check your pm - I think the amp will be sent to you this week.

murphy11

« Reply #64 on: 2 Aug 2014, 11:47 am »
The amp is ready to go to anyone wants to get on the tour. If no takers in the next week, it will go back to the owner. PM me if interested.

murphy11

« Reply #65 on: 25 Aug 2014, 08:28 pm »
Quick update - After reading about one channel going out on the amp I started to wonder if it was going bad when I listened to it a few months ago. The last 'touree' sent it back to me and it sounds great in my system. I haven't cranked it yet and don't plan to but it is now loud enough using my Mini Stratas that I could happily live with it as my main amp.

Shadowlight very generously donated it to me - THANKS! - and I am now seriously considering buying an Astron PS to see how much better this amp can sound. Can anyone point me to a specific model(s) that would work? I will start hunting e-bay or other sources when I know what to look for.

I'm still not totally sure how I would connect the amp to the PS, but if it is not too technical I'm pretty sure I could get it working. My tech skills are limited - I soldered a replacement GR tweeter to my Minis, but I'm willing to try the Astron. Thanks to rhing and Shadowlight for their contributions. The whole experience has been fun and I've learned some new things.

rodge827

« Reply #66 on: 25 Aug 2014, 10:45 pm »
The Astron Linear supplies are  the SL-11A and SL-11R, Ten-tec 937

shadowlight

« Reply #67 on: 25 Aug 2014, 11:44 pm »
I thought Astron RS 20A was also good to get.

rodge827

« Reply #68 on: 26 Aug 2014, 12:26 am »
Most any of the Astron 12vdc power supplies are good, just stay away from the less than 7a units.
I like the SL (slim line) series, very good performance in a smaller box.
« Last Edit: 26 Aug 2014, 11:08 am by rodge827 »

OzarkTom

« Reply #69 on: 26 Aug 2014, 01:19 am »
Most any of the Astron 12vdc power supplies are good stay away from the less than 7a units.
I like the SL (slim line) series, very good performance in a smaller box.

:thumb: :thumb:

rhing

« Reply #70 on: 26 Aug 2014, 01:57 am »
Quick update - After reading about one channel going out on the amp I started to wonder if it was going bad when I listened to it a few months ago. The last 'touree' sent it back to me and it sounds great in my system. I haven't cranked it yet and don't plan to but it is now loud enough using my Mini Stratas that I could happily live with it as my main amp.

Shadowlight very generously donated it to me - THANKS! - and I am now seriously considering buying an Astron PS to see how much better this amp can sound. Can anyone point me to a specific model(s) that would work? I will start hunting e-bay or other sources when I know what to look for.

I'm still not totally sure how I would connect the amp to the PS, but if it is not too technical I'm pretty sure I could get it working. My tech skills are limited - I soldered a replacement GR tweeter to my Minis, but I'm willing to try the Astron. Thanks to rhing and Shadowlight for their contributions. The whole experience has been fun and I've learned some new things.

Glad you are enjoying the amp. The best way to connect the amp to a power supply like the Astrons with the 5-way binding posts is to use a twisted pair of 16AWG wire like Kimber's TCX hook-up wire (15AWG Teflon-insulated stranded Copper) terminated with a Switchcraft 722A 2.1mm x 5.5mm barrel-type DC power connector. Cables and connectors are critical in any audio chain--power supplies included.

Trikster

« Reply #71 on: 17 Sep 2014, 06:45 am »
Tour still on?