Wywires/BRYSTON/NuFORCE/VMPS GTG Thursday 12/30 in Los Angeles

John Casler

Looks like we are going to have an informal GTG in Los Angeles Thursday Dec 30 at 1:00pm.

We will be evaluating and comparing Wywires with High End AudioQuest wires.

This will be on a dedicated 2 channel system (single sweet seat only) with the following:

ONIX CDP used as Transport

Bryston DAC card

Bryston BP-26 Preamp

NuFORCE Reference 9 v3 monoblocs

VMPS RM40 BCSE (Brian Cheney Signature Edition)

We will also be auditioning the new BDP-1 Digital Player from BRYSTON.

We will begin with the system wired with High End AudioQuest, and then Switch to a full Wywires system.

We may have room for one or two additional participants if anyone is free and in the area.

Starts at 1:00 pm

Please email me if interested.

Cheeseboy

I'll be in LA where in LA is the event?  My plane lands at 3PM.  Sounds like fun. 

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
BJ,

How come I was not invited? ;) :)

I think I should invite myself then. :D

John Casler

Hi Guys,

Sounds good, and all hinges on the NuFORCE being delivered today as the tracking #'s say.

Here is the set up:

Alex is bringing a complete set of Wywires to swap in the system after we all get a chance to hear it with the full monty of AudioQuest.

Hugh you know my set up, and it is such that only a "SINGLE PERSON" can listen to the system at one time.  (You sit in a listening chamber).

So anyone who arrives at 1:00 pm will get the opportunity to hear the AQ system first.  After all present hear the REF CUT(s), then we will re-wire with Wywires and run the cuts again in the same order.

Shaukat will be bringing his NEW BDP-1 Bryston Digital Player, which we will then plug into the system and also audition a few cuts for review.

While that doesn't sound like too much, I would speculate with the swapping of cables, and the "MUSICAL CHAIRS" approach (literally) it will take the better part of the afternoon.

Cheesboy, if you come straight from LAX, you will probably catch the BRYSTON Audition, but likely not get to hear the cable comparison (as they will already be swapped)  Look forward to meeting you in person, if you can make it.

Would love to have you since you're in the area, and you wanted to hear some VMPS.

I will PM you the address (it is in Century City)

At this point the invite must be closed since 3-5 is really MAX OUT for this kind of single sweet spot GTG.

It will give us an idea of what might be in store in VEGAS when Alex and Big B wire up the VMPS System at THE Show.

John Casler

The NuFORCE Ref 9 V3 monoblocs showed up last night, :thumb: and are currently burning in.

SO WE ARE "THROTTLE UP" FOR TOMORROW.

I have to say I wasn't expecting the improvement in sound.

While I hate the term "tube like", I would have to say that the Mids of the V3 are just more Rich, Smooth, and "tube like" :green:

But not only that, the BASS which was already as good as I thought it could be, is now "simply better".  Tighter, Deeper, and Richer.  Go figure.

This is the first I have been able to spend much time with the V3 boards in my system and I might compare these now to my Son of  AMPZILLA in their power and smoothness, and that is a huge compliment.

We'll see if this changes much as they burn in.

John Casler

Spent a lot of time writing up some details of the GTG yesterday only to have the site go down as I was posting it (bad timing) :duh: as I lost the report.

In any event, we had a great time yesterday and it was fun meeting Alex and hearing how good his Wywires are.

Our plan was to use no more than three REF CUTS that we were all familiar with and those cuts were:

1) Nils Lophgren - Keith Don't Go

2) Diana Krall - I've Got You Under My Skin

3) Bela Fleck - Amazing Grace w/preamble

All three of these were LIVE performances and had a lot of demanding material such as String and Electric Bass, Piano, Acoustic Guitar, Male and Female Voice. (as well as audience noise)

I was simply looking to see if the Wywires could match the upper level AudioQuest Interconnects and Speaker Cables and Mixed Level Power Cords.

So we each listened to the cuts to familiarize ourselves with the sonics and then we swapped the whole shootin match to the Wywires.  Since I am not yet fully familiar with all the models Alex can fill that in, but it was a very pleasant surprise to the outcome.

After the swap, the Wywires either matched or exceeded the AQs across the board.

What they did better was VERY good and that was "rounder" more full bass, images that felt more palpable and well placed, and highs that were crystal clear without any glassiness of any kind.

We then swapped back in the AQ power cords and I really didn't hear much change, so it was obvious that most of the difference was either from a complete swap, or that the Power Cords only made a small %.

One dissapointment of the session is that the BDP-1 audition didn't happen because we forgot that the BDP-1 only has AES/EBU and BNC outputs and the DAC Card on the BP26DA only had COAX digital ins  :duh: :cry: :cry: :cry:

But a good time was had by all and as good as I felt my system sounded only a few days ago, it sounds better now.  I can't even begin to wrap my head around what using the BDP-1 might do :o

I think the Wywires are the REAL DEAL and Brian certainly made a good choice to use as the "official wire/cable" for the VMPS Live versus Recorded Demo next year in Vegas.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye

I think the Wywires are the REAL DEAL and Brian certainly made a good choice to use as the "official wire/cable" for the VMPS Live versus Recorded Demo next year in Vegas.
+2 on >>>>>>>>>^^^^^^

Nick77

Since I am not yet fully familiar with all the models Alex can fill that in, but it was a very pleasant surprise to the outcome.

Alex, curious to hear what cables you brought to the event?

+1 They have certainly escalated my system as well!! Congrats Alex!!

wywires

Thanks John for your hospitality and the opportunity to compare to the AQ cables. We tried speaker cables, jumpers, power cords and the V2 XLR IC's.

The RM-40's were awesome as expected. I was really surprised by the Nuforce amps - quite superb! In fact all of our listening was without the sub woofers and the bass was all there and very natural.