Big Band/ Swing music

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
Big Band/ Swing music
« on: 20 May 2014, 12:18 am »
Anyone here besides myself enjoy big band-swing music?
Probably not some of the younger members but some of us older members might enjoy it!!
Currently listening to:

St Louis Blues, sing, sing, sing!!
"Some real magic goin on here"
Tightest horn section you will ever hear!
I grew up hearing this. My parents always had some 78's spinning and have enjoyed this for ever or so it seems!

Never been much for compilation albums but this has some great versions of the songs such as  the ones mentioned above! Have not hear this arrangement of sing, sing, sing..
« Last Edit: 20 May 2014, 11:50 pm by Bob2 »

galyons

Re: Big Band/ Swing music
« Reply #1 on: 20 May 2014, 12:25 am »
Absolutely!!  Just one of the modes in the evolution of jazz music.  Swing was likely the pinnacle of jazz in terms of audience, popularity and record sales.  Jazz for dancing and everyone did!  A very long lived era well worth exploring!

Cheers,
Geary

mgalusha

« Reply #2 on: 20 May 2014, 12:29 am »
Very much so, I have quite a few records and CD's with Big Band & Swing.

charmerci

« Reply #3 on: 20 May 2014, 02:14 am »
My favorite is the Count Basie Orchestra "Second Testament" band.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Count_Basie_Orchestra#The_.27Second_Testament.27

Some of the very late 50's albums sounds surprisingly good. I'm not to crazy about the post Sonny Payne drummers.

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #4 on: 20 May 2014, 02:15 am »
I grew up when a mature Frank Sinatra was popular. He was OK but of course I was into 50's and 60's Rock 'n Roll. But then I got some CD's of Frank when he was with Tommy Dorsey. What a difference. Not necessarily great recordings but he was so smooth and great with those old songs. I love that old stuff, the kind of music my mother liked.

Gene

Bob2

« Reply #5 on: 20 May 2014, 03:07 pm »
Thanks much for the replies everyone!
Always thought I was the odd man out because most people do not know or care about this music.
Nearly all of my big band music is on cd. I have started picking up vinyl when I can. Some of the recordings are very good others not so much.
Would love to hear recommendations if anyone cares to chime in!

Thanks, Bob2

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #6 on: 20 May 2014, 03:52 pm »
The Duke and the Count still sound fresh to my ears. The others of that era, not so much.

Doc

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #7 on: 20 May 2014, 04:32 pm »
Me too!  My parents had 78's and I played in the band through high school, so got exposed to lots of ensemble typ music, including Big Band.  The new Swing era of a few years ago was a hoot, epitomized by Big, Bad Voodoo Daddy.  I recommend the movie "Swing" - I think it was Jonathan Winters' last movie.  The best swing dancers in So Cal were used to stage reinactiments of a big dance hall/club from the big band era.  You can't go wrong with any of the Big Bands.  Don't miss Stan Kenton - he was quite progressive.  I play clarinet in the Austin Symphonic Band, the Polkadillos and the Dixieland Accidentals - our sax player also plays in The Republic of Texas Big Band.

Bob2

« Reply #8 on: 20 May 2014, 11:37 pm »
Doc,
I agree!

Hank,
thanks for the response, I agree after seeing BBVDD locally a couple of years ago. Freakin awesome!

Sounds like you are having some fun! As a former drummer I can fully realize how much fun it is to play with a group!!

So Cool!
Thanks again everyone!

dB Cooper

« Reply #9 on: 21 May 2014, 12:35 am »
Ellington and Basie are must-haves, of course.

Although there wasn't as much of this in the modern era for a variety of reasons, there are a few examples such as the Toshiko  Akiyoshi-Lew Tabackin Big Band (track one on Tales of a Courtesan, "Road Time Shuffle", made me a lifelong fan in ten seconds), The Thad Jones- Mel Lewis Orchestra, Bob Florence. All of these are worth looking into as well.

HsvHeelFan

« Reply #10 on: 21 May 2014, 04:11 am »
If you can get past Stan's piano playing, Stan Kenton's Big Bands were incredible.  Amazing brass section.

Maynard Ferguson's works in the 70's are also amazing.  A bit "in your face" but some great musicians there as well.

Count Basie and Duke Ellington's bands were also incredible.

Lately, I've been on a Frank Sinatra kick.  I'm slowly working on getting all I can from the early 50's through the "Sinatra and Company" album from '71.   Sinatra mostly used Nelson Riddle, but also used Billy May as an arranger and conductor along with several others.

HsvHeelFan

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #11 on: 21 May 2014, 04:28 am »
A few more elephants in the room yet to be mentioned, Glenn Miller, Jimmy & Tommy Dorsey. All head of the class in their day. Nope Bob, you are obviously not alone in appreciation & enjoyment of Big Band/Swing. So much great music, enjoy.  8)

charmerci

« Reply #12 on: 21 May 2014, 04:55 am »

Lately, I've been on a Frank Sinatra kick.  I'm slowly working on getting all I can from the early 50's through the "Sinatra and Company" album from '71.   Sinatra mostly used Nelson Riddle, but also used Billy May as an arranger and conductor along with several others.

Billy May is probably my favorite arranger.

HsvHeelFan

« Reply #13 on: 21 May 2014, 01:57 pm »
I'm also a HUGE Russell Garcia fan.  Swingin' Brass with the Oscar Peterson Trio isn't technically big band, but they sure kick it.  Mr. Garcia also did the arrangements for the Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong Porgy and Bess album (which is one of my favorites).

HsvHeelFan

Bob2

« Reply #14 on: 21 May 2014, 04:04 pm »
Some great suggestions here!

I do have a decent collection of most all that have been suggested but keep'em coming! Have to locate some Russell Garcia, new to me!

Anyone have some suggestions for  Johnny Mercer or  Hoagy Carmichael recordings?

Glad that some mentioned the folks that have done the arrangements for many of those tunes.
Arrangements vary widely in this type of music and can give a very different feel.

Any favorite instrumentalists?

Chazro

« Reply #15 on: 21 May 2014, 08:12 pm »
Love me some Big Band!  Always cool to see it mentioned anywhere.  I think the OP was specifically asking about the Swing era though.  It should be understood that there are many different 'era's and styles when it comes to Big Bands.  While most BB's swing like mofo's, that's different from 'Swing' era Big Bands.  In a nutshell, there's a HUGE gap between Dorsey/Miller/Goodman and the Akiyoshi/Tabakin Big Bands!  As far as ring-a-ding swingin' Frank Sinatra and Big Bands, his 'Live At The Sands' (Vegas) with the Count Basie Orchestra is the summit of the mountaintop!;)  Frank's voice at it's prime, the Basie band at it's prime, arrangements by Quincy Jones, Vegas, can't recommend it highly enough!   

ctviggen

« Reply #16 on: 21 May 2014, 09:42 pm »
Does Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band count?  Or are they too new? 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gordon_Goodwin%27s_Big_Phat_Band

I'll have to look into some of the other suggestions here, too.

Bob2

« Reply #17 on: 21 May 2014, 11:18 pm »
My intent in raising the question was not to draw specific lines as to what constitutes "Big Band". I mentioned BBVD that have been around awhile but fit my vision of Big Band/swing. Swing music to me has always been dance band, horn section and great arrangements but let's explore what is out there.. Some incredible music I'm sure!

"Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band"? Just listened to a youtube recording of the band.. I would include them!

The Dave Slonaker Big Band seems a bit contemporary but can't deny how well they perform together.. I would say they are more or less modern jazz while admitting that I don't know much about jazz.

I have to say that I did have a great jazz experience while in Chicago for AXPONA. I stayed in a hotel just down the road and the connected restaurant had a jazz trio doing their thing. After a couple of Manhattan's I was really liking what they were putting down.

ctviggen, thanks for putting that out there! Keep it up, I'm learnin!!!

TerryWI

« Reply #18 on: 24 May 2014, 03:57 pm »
A contemporary big band I enjoy is the Maria Schneider Orchestra.  They play a number of different styles, be it jazz, classical or swing influenced. 

A side note regarding the interest of younger members, is that the high school in our city has 3 levels of jazz bands that have played pieces by many of the artists mentioned.  These bands are extracurricular activities that the students commit to and get to school twice a week by 6:30am to participate.  Their concerts are some of the most enjoyable and satisfying musical activities I've ever attended.   :thumb:

dB Cooper

« Reply #19 on: 24 May 2014, 05:30 pm »
Billy May is probably my favorite arranger.
Wasn't that the cokehead who used to holler on those infomercials?