Expecting Timepiece Minis?

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
Expecting Timepiece Minis?
« on: 16 May 2008, 11:29 pm »
I'm one of those guys who ordered the Timepiece Minis at the very end of the introductory offer, so I have been waiting for over 9 months for my order to be compleated. I've emailed and phoned Bob on the average of once a month keeping informed concerning both my custom wood choice and the production problems. He has always been forthrite about giving me the facts with regard to delays caused by circumstances beyond his control. I've always lent a sympathetic ear because I've had my own small businesses go under because of other people not honoring the commitments made at the outset. Suffice to say that the frustration, heartache, and bile generated can cause a person to question the wisdom of getting oneself into such situations and can lead to the kind of self doubt that shakes a person to the very core. So I come to the situation predisposed with some degree of empathy. Maybe this has skewed my objectivity on the matter, but........ I DON'T THINK SO! I was attracted to SP Technology products based on the engineering and execution. That statement still holds true. The Timepiece Mini distills, into one small package, all the combined experience and knowledge gained in my 38 years of enjoying audio as a live sound engineer and audiophile the methods and techniques utilised to achieve superlative reproduction. No one else combines ALL these into one design. So......... I have been patient. Gee, I sure hope I like them.   :green: 

rms

Re: Expecting Timepiece Minis?
« Reply #1 on: 20 May 2008, 12:45 pm »
Hey Konut - I hope you have some decent speaks to listen to while you're waiting, or at least some really good headphones. Of course, it's easy for me to say this since I have a pair of SP Tech speakers already, but the wait will be worth it.

In fact, I waited my entire life for sound this good - I never thought I would hear, much less own anything this good. If it hadn't been for Bob's engineering genius and perseverance,  I would still be searching and spending money trying to find aural satisfaction. Of course, I was incredibly lucky to nab Jason's used Continuum's, otherwise I would currently be in the same boat with you.

And I am just as amazed as you that Bob has hung in there through all this - starting a business as you said is not for the weak of heart, and thankfully Bob is strong like an Ox. Kudos must go out to Jason as well for hanging in there with his Pop - he also has made a lot of sacrifices.

I know that nothing I say can ease the anticipation you feel about your new speakers. If it was me waiting I would be anxious too, especially after reading what people say about their speakers. I guess all I can say is try to hang in there - you'll be glad you did. I am just praying for things to go well for everybody - customers get their speakers and enjoy sonic nirvana, and maybe Bob can take a vacation with his wife somewhere warm with really good food and drinks!

konut

« Reply #2 on: 20 May 2008, 03:24 pm »
Thanks for the encouraging words, rms. Its opinions and reviews like yours that have kept me from feeling regret and reinforcing my patience for these handmade, custom, made in USA, superiorly engineered speakers, especially at the introductory price.  Everything is possible, the impossible just takes longer.

Actually I do have some excellent speakers to use during the wait. They are Omega Aperiodic 8's which I've owned since Sept. 2005. I will be comparing the 2 when the Minis arrive. I will not hesitate to compare the weaknesses and strengths of each.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #3 on: 10 Jun 2008, 02:45 am »
I have received word from Bob that my speakers have shipped.... 8)

konut....

They are Omega Aperiodic 8's which I've owned since Sept. 2005. I will be comparing the 2 when the Minis arrive. I will not hesitate to compare the weaknesses and strengths of each.
I can do the same....since I have the 8's as well....and a few others.
I hope yours are on the way soon.... :thumb:

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #4 on: 10 Jun 2008, 02:57 am »

and a few others.

understatement,,,,,,,,  :rotflmao:

lonewolfny42

« Reply #5 on: 10 Jun 2008, 03:07 am »

and a few others.

One day I'll line them all up for a group shot.... :lol:

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #6 on: 10 Jun 2008, 03:13 am »

and a few others.

One day I'll line them all up for a group shot.... :lol:

Hey now,,,,,, the "shot that was heard around the world" is an American tradition,,,, let's not stamp "Made in China" on that too! :lol:

lonewolfny42

« Reply #7 on: 10 Jun 2008, 03:17 am »
There's no lead in that photo.... :nono:   :jester:

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #8 on: 10 Jun 2008, 03:20 am »

,,,, point being you lay all your speakers on that wall and there's no one that'll need a lead,,, just earplugs.  :drums: :guitar: :violin:

lonewolfny42

« Reply #9 on: 10 Jun 2008, 03:31 am »

,,,, point being you lay all your speakers on that wall and there's no one that'll need a lead,,, just earplugs.  :drums: :guitar: :violin:
Point being....its a long wall....so it would be a ....long line... :wink:

And I'd say....if connected....it would be ....LOUD !!!! :rock:

konut

« Reply #10 on: 10 Jun 2008, 08:22 am »
I talked to Bob last week. My cabinets were done, however he said that the striations in the Ipe were of a different hue from one cabinet to the other. I was willing to take them as is but Bob said his son felt he could remove the finish from one speaker and stain it to match the other, exactly,  and desired to do so. This required removing the finish, staining, then reappyling the finish, adding 3 weeks to the process. I relented. You've got to admire his son's striving for perfection! When I told my sister, the pharmacist, about my over 9 month wait for speakers, she suggested maybe it was time for an epidural and induced labor!  :green:

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #11 on: 10 Jun 2008, 01:30 pm »
over 9 month wait for speakers  :green:

I also talked to Bob a couple of weeks ago and he said the wood for mine was in. It's hard to wait but from all the positive reports here and other places, you just know you're getting something special.

In my case, my 2 month old amp bit the dust and is being looked at (hopefully) right now, so I guess all this will work itself out in regards to timing.  :duh:

Gene

mcullinan

« Reply #12 on: 10 Jun 2008, 01:47 pm »
I talked to Bob last week. My cabinets were done, however he said that the striations in the Ipe were of a different hue from one cabinet to the other. I was willing to take them as is but Bob said his son felt he could remove the finish from one speaker and stain it to match the other, exactly,  and desired to do so. This required removing the finish, staining, then reappyling the finish, adding 3 weeks to the process. I relented. You've got to admire his son's striving for perfection! When I told my sister, the pharmacist, about my over 9 month wait for speakers, she suggested maybe it was time for an epidural and induced labor!  :green:
Besides the trials and tribulations, Bob and Son do it right. Each speaker is a work of art imo, and there effort to maintain the highest level of quality shows.
Mike

Double Ugly

« Reply #13 on: 10 Jun 2008, 02:46 pm »
Besides the trials and tribulations, Bob and Son do it right. Each speaker is a work of art imo, and there effort to maintain the highest level of quality shows.
Mike

Which begs the question, why are you looking for a pair of $13k speakers? 

You remember Frank S.'s travels, right?  He purchased a pair of SP Tech Continuums years ago, and after owning a veritable treasure trove of speakers (Vandy 5As, Evolution Acoustics MM Threes and the like), he returned to the SP Tech fold and declared -

Well, after some great extended listening sessions, I can confidently state that in my room, with my associated equipment, and with the music I like, the Continuum 2.5s are better than my previous MM3s. The bass is more coherent, faster, and better integrated. Dynamics and lack of compression are off the charts. Highs are wonderfully open and extended with no hint of harshness. Imaging is first rate as would be expected.  The best attribute I can ascribe to the 2.5s is their openess, balance and coherency.  Music just "happens" and I find myself just engaged rather than hearing different parts of the whole.

Coming back to SP Tech has probably been one of the best decisions I've made.  Kudos to Bob, Jason, and Karsten for what they have accomplished. Thanks Bob!! :notworthy: :notworthy: :beer: :rock:

:o

IMSHO (in my strongly held opinion), you're already getting speakers that'll compete with any speaker extant, bar none, regardless of price.  If you want even better, it's called the Revelation, and it doesn't cost much more than the Continuum 2.5.  :green:

Bob is slow, and his ability (or lack thereof) to predict build completion dates is almost comically bad.  It's always been that way, and no one remotely familiar with SP Tech - or has even casually followed threads here - should should be surprised by repeated delays and long waits.  It's part and parcel to doing business with SP Tech. 

But what makes it all worth it to me - and I submit worth it for most - is the sound.  The gloriously open, gloriously clean, unfettered flow of music, unmolested by poor driver integration, average crossover pieces & parts or "standard" cabinet construction.  They are true transducers, wonders of physics which present the signal given them; nothing more, nothing less.

JMHO, YMMV, to my ears, in my room, etc. ad nauseam...

konut

« Reply #14 on: 10 Jun 2008, 02:54 pm »
Very well said DU! If one wants instant gratification? Look elsewhere. If one wants 'THE BEST'? You KNOW the answer.

*Reserving the right to change my opinion pending 30 day trial.

mcullinan

« Reply #15 on: 10 Jun 2008, 03:04 pm »
Mike

You remember Frank S.'s travels, right?  He purchased a pair of SP Tech Continuums years ago, and after owning a veritable treasure trove of speakers (Vandy 5As, Evolution Acoustics MM Threes and the like), he returned to the SP Tech fold and declared -

Well, after some great extended listening sessions, I can confidently state that in my room, with my associated equipment, and with the music I like, the Continuum 2.5s are better than my previous MM3s. The bass is more coherent, faster, and better integrated. Dynamics and lack of compression are off the charts. Highs are wonderfully open and extended with no hint of harshness. Imaging is first rate as would be expected.  The best attribute I can ascribe to the 2.5s is their openess, balance and coherency.  Music just "happens" and I find myself just engaged rather than hearing different parts of the whole.

Coming back to SP Tech has probably been one of the best decisions I've made.  Kudos to Bob, Jason, and Karsten for what they have accomplished. Thanks Bob!! :notworthy: :notworthy: :beer: :rock:

IMSHO (in my strongly held opinion), you're already getting speakers that'll compete with any speaker extant, bar none, regardless of price.  If you want even better, it's called the Revelation, and it doesn't cost much more than the Continuum 2.5.  :green:

Bob is slow, and his ability (or lack thereof) to predict build completion dates is almost comically bad.  It's always been that way, and no one remotely familiar with SP Tech - or has even casually followed threads here - should should be surprised by repeated delays and long waits.  It's part and parcel to doing business with SP Tech. 

But what makes it all worth it to me - and I submit worth it for most - is the sound.  The gloriously open, gloriously clean, unfettered flow of music, unmolested by poor driver integration, average crossover pieces & parts or "standard" cabinet construction.  They are true transducers, wonders of physics which present the signal given them; nothing more, nothing less.

Bob is the Man! And works deliriously hard, I see it... And yes, you definitely cant order them and have them tomorrow. You know I can count on 1 hand how many 10K plus speakers Ive heard... so I cant imagine what kind of presentation these babys will do! Im looking forward to the arrival of the C 2.5s very much, cant wait to see the woodwork especially.
As for the 13K life is good and I want to see what is out there is all. :)
Mike

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #16 on: 10 Jun 2008, 03:07 pm »
Mike

Sorry to be the dissenting opinion here, but I recently heard Frank's system and I don't think it was better than the previous incarnations.  In fact, I thought it took major steps backward.

Now, before everybody starts flaming me...

Too much gear has changed from system to system at Frank's so I can't confidently say it is one piece of gear or the other.  I just know that to my ears it isn't better.

George 

Double Ugly

« Reply #17 on: 10 Jun 2008, 03:23 pm »
Sorry to be the dissenting opinion here, but I recently heard Frank's system and I don't think it was better than the previous incarnations.  In fact, I thought it took major steps backward.

Now, before everybody starts flaming me...

Too much gear has changed from system to system at Frank's so I can't confidently say it is one piece of gear or the other.  I just know that to my ears it isn't better.

George 

To your ears, not Frank's, at least according to his public comments.

You purchased Frank's Vandy 5As, right?  And now you're trying to sell them. 

Are you still a dealer for Emerald Physics?  I wasn't impressed either time I went into the EP room in Denver, but I've yet to post to an EP thread and act as the apologetic voice of dissent. 

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #18 on: 10 Jun 2008, 03:58 pm »
To your ears, not Frank's, at least according to his public comments.

You purchased Frank's Vandy 5As, right?  And now you're trying to sell them. 

Are you still a dealer for Emerald Physics?  I wasn't impressed either time I went into the EP room in Denver, but I've yet to barge into a EP thread and act as the apologetic voice of dissent. 

Jim,

I am disappointed that your initial reaction is to attack and not allow me an opinion.  Is there some type of issue that precludes me from voicing my opinion?  I would hope that one could provide a dissenting or different opinion without being attacked.

I am no longer an Emerald Physics dealer (haven't been for months) since Clayton changed his sales model.  I am however a happy CS2 owner (as well as Omega Loudspeakers).

Does the fact that I enjoy the CS2's and you don't invalidate my thoughts on Frank's system?  I know I certainly don't think less of you or your opinions because you didn't enjoy the CS2's at RMAF.

As to why I am selling my 5A's...it's simply because I don't want that amount of money tied up in speakers.  They are still the best speakers I have owned and still one of the best overall performing speakers to my ears.

George

Wind Chaser

« Reply #19 on: 10 Jun 2008, 04:14 pm »
George,

I don't think Jim has a problem with you expressing an opinion, his point was...

I've yet to post to an EP thread and act as the apologetic voice of dissent. 

Since you, George, are very well respected here, and deservedly so; the context in which you stated your views may not justifiably be considered appropriate.

However with this coming from someone with my reputation, it's quite understandable if you do not accept what I've just said.

John