The Mundorf Upgrade Path

Aether Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.aetheraudio.com
The Mundorf Upgrade Path
« on: 14 Apr 2007, 03:19 pm »
Friends,

There have been a number of inquiries with regards to a fully optimized Mundorf upgrade for our systems.  Although relatively simple over all, there is enough complexity involved to warrant a summarization in order to clarify all the options.  Please excuse us for any confusion up to this point, as this is all a result of Karsten’s unanticipated discoveries.  The whole thing sort of “evolved” before I had a chance to come up with an organized plan or structured package.  Going through all the issues with some of you in recent days has lead to the following logical “stages” of potential upgrade.  They are outlined below starting from the actual drivers in the speaker enclosure on back, all the way to the amplifier output.

1) Mundorf silver-gold wire of my design (PM or e-mail me for the details on these), from the driver to the speaker terminal plate’s binding posts.

2) Mundorf binding posts in said terminal plate above.  Two sizes to choose from – 6mm or 8mm.

3) Mundorf silver-gold wires of my design (as above), from the binding posts above to the binding posts on the external crossover.  Two sets are required – one for the high pass section going to the tweeter terminals and the other for the low pass going to the woofers.

4) External crossover of 3 types – “Standard” – “Intermediate” – “Ultimate.” 

The Standard is the same as is used inside the enclosure and is part of the original speaker purchase price.  Making it as an external design does add cost though.

The Intermediate uses the inductors of the Ultimate design and the capacitors of the Standard design. 

The Ultimate uses both the (almost - see below) best inductors and the silver-gold capacitors. 

Also, the crossover may have either 6 or 8 mm binding posts.  The original price of $1,400.00 each was quoted as using the 6mm ones.  If you prefer the 8mm, there will be an added charge for only the price difference.

5) Mundorf silver-gold wires of my design (as above), going from the crossover to the amplifier.  These can either be one set for normal “mono-wire” configuration or two sets for “bi-wiring.”  The crossover comes with input jumpers so that bi-wiring is not necessary.

OK…the only thing left is pricing.  I don’t have them worked out yet so don’t bother asking right now.  I will follow up with pricing on this same thread once I have it all figured out.  I’ve posted this for now just so you have time to think about how far you might want to go.  At least now you know the options available.  Stay tuned…I’ll be posting the prices in about a week. 

Also, as of this time the stock systems are shipped with Cardas binding posts and tweeter wire.  Those of you that are upgrading your existing system will have to send the tweeter assembly and crossover terminal plate back to us for the upgrades that would apply to them.  You will also either have to ship the woofers back or be able to solder the new wires to them yourselves - if you choose the internal wire option.  Others that are purchasing new systems will receive the Cardas materials unless they opt for the Mundorf components before taking delivery.

-Bob

PS.  Please don’t ask for variations to the above options, such as “slightly better caps” in the Intermediate crossover and what not.  This whole thing is complicated enough as it is and we just can’t accommodate every possible option.  The only limit to this is on the Ultimate version.  If you want the silver-gold foil inductors for that, well…who am I to say “no” when you’re already spending that much money? :drool:
« Last Edit: 20 Apr 2007, 12:34 pm by SP Pres »