Introducing Aero RCA

BobRex

Re: Introducing Aero RCA
« Reply #20 on: 22 Jun 2024, 07:55 pm »
This review was done using only analog.  My turntable is a TTWeights Gem rim drive with a modified Jelco 750 12" arm.  The mods were done by TTWeights and basically provide fully adjustable VTA and mass loading of the bearing housing.  The cartridge, a VDH Colibri XGP is connected to Hashimoto H3 SUTs (Choir Audio) via an Audio Sensibilities phono cable.  The SUTs are typically wired to a Herron phono stage with a Grover cable (test point 1).  From the Herron, a second Grover cable (test point 2) leads to a Vinnie Rossi LIO DHT (Shuguang Treasure 300Bs).  The integrated amp drives the mid tweeter sections of VMPS RM30s (external crossovers, TRY caps, silver wire, Powered Bass all mounted in Dayton speaker cabs) through WyWires speaker cables.  The bass section is driven by the low level outs of the LIO via a 3m Grover interconnect into Dayton 500w plate amps (test point 3).  The room is 22 x 17 with a cathedral ceiling (approx 14 ft at the peak).  One front corner has a fireplace and the other front corner is filled with a largish record/ cd rack.  System and speakers sit on the wide wall with speakers 8ft apart and 5ft from the front wall.  The system and additional record storage sit between the speakers.  A listening sofa sits about 8 inches away from the back wall, with pillows acting as absorbers at ear level.  The room is fairly clean with a peak node around 100Hz that's eq'd out via the plate amp's parametric.  With this size room. deploying the speakers on the wide walls mitigates the need for wall absorption - the reflection path is long enough that the signal is sufficiently delayed to fall outside of the critical window.

Enough of that, let's discuss the cables.  As per Jason's previous products, the cables arrived in style inside a nicely padded Ummm, travel case.  Inside the case, a Hapa fabric bag / back pack further protected everything.  Both cables are extremly flexible which helps installation and dressing.  I installed the copper sets in test points 1 and 2 and started listening.

Albums used:
Prokofieff Lt. Kije - Fritz Reiner and Chicago Symphony - RCA, the Classic Records pressing
Stravinsky Firebird and Debussy Prelude to the afternoon of a Fawn - Leinsdorf, Sheffield Records D2D
Oregon - In Performance
Paul Winter Consort - Road
Joni Mitchell - Shadows and Light
Grateful Dead - Terrapin Station - AP pressing
Pat Metheny - Travels
Assorted others.......

Liquid and organic - these were my first thoughts.  The cables are extremely quiet.  I have season tickets to the local orchestra, I sit mid-hall about 2 seats off of center.  From that position I can hear imaging queues - location of sections and depths, and the positioning of soloists are easily heard.  I expect to be able to do the same on my system, and for the most part I can.  The coppers improved on this.  The opening trumpet on Kije sounded further off stage than before and the snare drum was deep and reverberant.  The piccolo, flute, and oboe were more resolved and each was in a unique space, separate from each other, yet part of the same grainless picture.  Hall reflections were more obvious.  The bass drum had more power and its position (depth) was readily discernable.  The Sheffield yielded a slightly different picture.  The dryness of the MGM soundstage was laid bare, but everything sounded just a little cleaner than before. 

Back in the mid-seventies I discovered the music of Paul Winter through a reference in TAS.  I've been a fan ever since.  The third side of In Performance opens with the band (Oregon) in Carnegie hall.  George Schutz comes to a mic and announces the band.  When the mic is turned on, the space of the hall is there.  His voice reverberates and lights up the space.  This is followed by Colin Walcott's drum solo which is a masterpiece of color, dynamics, and spacing.  The coppers extract the nuances of the various drums more than the Grovers.  Wallcott used a cymbal tree (no other way to describe it, look at the pictures on the album jacket) and it's now possible to discern positioning when he strikes the different cymbals.  Before I'd hear the different timbres, but I've never been able identify positioning.  The coppers are very clean and fast.  This means that there is no smearing in the highs, each sound is individualized and unique.  I can hear the same thing on Winter's Road album.  That album ends with an African/Brazilian piece that is full of transients from different percussion instruments - wood blocks, maracas,  triangles, ...., each one separated in the soundfield.

The same lack of grain can be heard on Terrapin Station.  As the train "leaves the station" the band takes off and Kreutzmann and Hart go to town.  Again, each drum strike in clean and distinct, and when required - powerful.  Kreutzmann's ride cymbal (tapping out 16th notes)  is heard above the chaos and acts as an anchor.  As the piece comes back to the station and the chorus fades out, the sonic picture just fades into a deep deep background.

Vocals take on a beautiful solidity, be it Joni, or Donna G, or Garcia.  All sound as if they are in the room in front of you, with the rest of the band just a few feet behind.  When the Persuasions sing God Must be a Boogey Man, they are right there, present as can be.

Replacing the coppers with the silvers ups the performance another notch or three.  This is when you can hear the slight warmth of the copper wires.  And it is slight.  The bass is a tad leaner, and you lose some "fullness" to the lower mids.  But the gains in bass depth make up for it.  I didn't throw any real bass tests at the cables; I was more interested in how real instruments sounded.  Glen Moore's stand up, Jaco's fretless, and Lesh's Alembic all sounded full and rich with the coppers, but you gain some additional details with the silvers.

As a final test, I coupled the coppers together to make 2 long runs.  These replaced the Grovers that ran to the plate amps; the impact is only from 200Hz and down.  If anyone ever tells you that the cable running to a subwoofer doesn't matter, don't believe it.  The soundscape opened up and lower transients, as well as hall ambience improved.

All in all these are damned good cables.  Jason has been improving his cables with each iteration, if this isn't his peak, then it's gonna be real close!.

Charles Xavier

« Reply #21 on: 23 Jun 2024, 12:52 pm »
Nice. We have some people here that should review for a living.

Pez

« Reply #22 on: 24 Jun 2024, 07:54 pm »
Nice. We have some people here that should review for a living.

You ain't kidding! Bob and DonF thank you both for your well written reviews and time put in to do it! You both really hit the nail on the head for these new cables. Incredible sound quality and highly customizable for anyone's system.  :thumb:

I'm adding the second leg of the tour. In fact the second leg is off to the first on the list.  :thumb: I'll be in touch with everyone to let you all know more details. We still have space on the tours! Please fill out the form if you are interested.

Last but not least, I'll be listing up the new offerings on the website soon! Sneak peek of the photography.  :thumb: I also updated the announcement post to show the new images! Thank you TeganK studios

Pez

« Reply #23 on: 1 Jul 2024, 05:04 pm »
Aero Siver RCA

Second your leg is off! We have some spots still for late comers. Sign up quick though, only a couple left!

https://forms.clickup.com/f/80txj-991/NQVL6CUSMBZCSU9BYN

MttBsh

« Reply #24 on: 8 Jul 2024, 04:04 am »

My listening room with Cain & Cain Abby speakers and Fostex T900A  supertweeters. My audio system sits out of sight (Wife Acceptance Factor) on shelves in the other side of the wall. My sofa with subs on either side are farther back in the room.

I thoroughly enjoyed my week with the Hapa Aero interconnects. I’ve had the Hapa Embers (one copper, the other silver quintessence) in my system for a couple of years and they’ve been the best I’ve ever used, so I was curious if the Aeros could really best them. But as Jason promised, his latest creation is a serious upgrade, I heard improvements without having to really listen for them, they were that obvious.

There’s little I can share that previous reviewers haven’t already articulated much better than I could so I’ll be brief.

One reviewer stated that his Embers provide 95% of what the Aeros offer. My impression in my system is closer to 80%, and an extra 20% is a lot when you consider just how good the Embers are. The Aeros are so dead quiet that music is more present in the room, more holographic, allowing details like cymbal strikes and bells to be heard in more precise locations of the soundstage and then decay beautifully. Bass is tighter and deeper, in fact I was able to turn my twin subs up a couple of notches without introducing any bloat, just cleaner more subterranean bass. I felt the Aeros took the strengths of the Embers to the next level and really made a difference in my overall enjoyment of music.

The Aero Cu (copper) and Ag (silver) were much more alike than they were different, although as others have stated, the CU had a bit more flesh on the bones and the AG a slight edge in clarity. Because my system is all solid state including a passive pre, I felt because it added a little more body to the sound the CU sounded the best in my system.

I remain mystified as to how interconnects can deliver as good or better sound improvements than upgrading the audio components they connect, but hearing is believing. Jason’s passion for raising the bar on high end audio cables is really paying off. I just sent the package on to the next guy on the tour and I’m already missing the Aeros - I can think of only one solution - I’m ordering a set.

Pez

« Reply #25 on: 9 Jul 2024, 05:22 pm »
Mttbsh,

Awesome review my friend! I appreciate the feedback and agree with your assessment. There is something really incredible about the level of detail Aero RCA has. The copper version is particularly surprising in that it bests everything else I've created in detail and retains that warm inviting sound that's to die for. The silver version is more neutral and as you stated has more clarity. In my experience it is also more dynamically nuanced as well. All that said, I am curious, did you have a chance to mix and match? I know you mentioned you only go between preamp and amp, but perhaps you had the ability to try elsewhere?

I remain mystified as to how interconnects can deliver as good or better sound improvements than upgrading the audio components they connect, but hearing is believing.

That is the same sentiment I continuously have and I make this stuff! It is quite curious and amazing.

MttBsh

« Reply #26 on: 10 Jul 2024, 12:31 am »
Mttbsh,

Awesome review my friend! I appreciate the feedback and agree with your assessment. There is something really incredible about the level of detail Aero RCA has. The copper version is particularly surprising in that it bests everything else I've created in detail and retains that warm inviting sound that's to die for. The silver version is more neutral and as you stated has more clarity. In my experience it is also more dynamically nuanced as well. All that said, I am curious, did you have a chance to mix and match? I know you mentioned you only go between preamp and amp, but perhaps you had the ability to try elsewhere?

Actually, I was able to go between my Streamer/DAC and preamp with both the Cu and Ag, but only the Cu between my preamp and amp. That's because my amp, a Stereo Maraschino, has only XLR inputs but came with RCA adapters and unfortunately the Ag's solid silver connector wouldn't fit over the RCA adapter, the Absolute Harmony connector, which is flexible, fit easily. This did limit my mix and match a bit but I was still able to distinguish the differences between the Cu and Ag, again, both superb cables!

Thank you again Jason for sending out my order for the Cu cables so quickly after my audition!   

Pez

« Reply #27 on: Yesterday at 09:25 pm »
Thanks for the added info! And yes, I am making the builds for this tour a priority so usually I can ship either same day or next day on any orders I get assuming less than 2–3 sets.

Quick update, I’ve been working hard with my web developer and my photographer/videographer on the new product page for Aero RCA. I think they really knocked it out of the park.

Take a look!
Aero RCA Product page