Jolida JD100, P-3A, Musical Fidelity comparison

audion

« on: 12 Feb 2004, 07:48 pm »
I am looking to get a new CD player in a 1k range with an upgrade option in the future. Have you had a chance to compare Jolida/P3A/MF products ?

Here is a few of the options that I am considering:
1. Jolida JD-100
2. Pioneer DV-45A with P-3A
3. DV-45A with Musical Fidelity A3-24 DAC
4. Musical Fidelity CD Pre 24 cd / dac / preamp.

Have you opened any of the two MF products to see whether there are mods to improve them ?

mojoman

« Reply #1 on: 12 Feb 2004, 10:04 pm »
I own the JD-100 and the DV-45A.  Both are stock units except for some tube rolling with the Jolida.  If you're looking for a cd player only I'd recommend the Jolida over the Pioneer.  I use the 45A for dvds and sacd/dvd-a.  I have never heard either of these players in their modded states so I can't comment about improvements you might get by modding.

Rocket

Hi
« Reply #2 on: 12 Feb 2004, 10:28 pm »
Hi,

I've heard the pioneer dvd players and in my personal opinion they are only mid fi and don't sound very good.

I've had a stock p3a and it is quite good for price compared to an unmodified cdp etc.  If you buy the p3a you must have dan upgrade it to modwright level 1.  The upgrade provides a Significant improvement in sound quality.

From what i have read the jolida cdp's are quite good.  Check out underwood hifi who mod these cdp's or you could contact response audio here at this forum.

I haven't heard the mf products, a bit pricey for my tastes.

regards

rocket

audion

« Reply #3 on: 12 Feb 2004, 11:28 pm »
Hi,
There is a lot of Musical Fidelity used products available on Audiogon. Their used A3-24 DAC runs at about $750, and their CD Pre 24 with DAC is sold around $1100-1400, down from 3k when new. I had a chance to listen to the combo  it a couple of years ago, and it sounded pretty nice, although a bit dry.
A3-24 DAC has pretty good reviews on the web, but I've never heard it.

audioengr

« Reply #4 on: 21 Feb 2004, 05:55 pm »
I have heard the A3-24 with some mods that a friend did to it.  I thought it was soft and undynamic.  I suppose I could fix these shortcomings if I modded it though.  The DAC's that are interesting to me are:

P-3A of course
MSB gold and platinum
Birdland

All of these have great mod potential and are already quite good to start with.  They all have great dynamics and extension once modded.  Upsamplers all....