4BSST Hiss

dbart

4BSST Hiss
« on: 15 May 2005, 07:31 pm »
I just purchaced a 4BSST. It is about a year old but new from the dealer. Anyway I have hiss from my M&K S150 speakers. I have connected only the amp and speakers, everything else is disconnected from the amp. I have a reciever that is dead silent. Is this normal?

dbart

4BSST Hiss
« Reply #1 on: 15 May 2005, 10:14 pm »
No the gain switches don't make a difference. It is a low level hiss but I hear reports that SST owners have dead silent amps.

thomaspf

4BSST Hiss
« Reply #2 on: 15 May 2005, 11:21 pm »
and you are sure it is the coming out of the speakers instead the amp itself?

Is there anything else plugged into the same circuit? Have you tried a different power outlet, like with a long extension cord and an outlet close to your distribution panel?

I was chasing a similar problem for a long time until I discovered the receptacle in the wall was cracked and did not give solid contact.

Cheers

Thomas

Fife12

4BSST Hiss
« Reply #3 on: 15 May 2005, 11:54 pm »
I had 2 6B SST and I heard hiss through my speakers. Before i used a receiver and it was hiss-less. I have tried other Amplifiers and I get a hiss too.  I have 5 dedicated outlets in my room too.

I think its normal as I have brought my amps to my firends place with the same results.

Yogus

4BSST Hiss
« Reply #4 on: 16 May 2005, 12:23 am »
I get a slight hiss with by 4bsst, but only if I put my ears right up against the tweeters.

Otherwise it is inaudible.

I've never owned an amp that was dead quiet up close.

dbart

4BSST Hiss
« Reply #5 on: 16 May 2005, 12:28 am »
I find it interesting that a cracked receptacle would cause hiss. Could it be that loose plugs throughout the house are causing noise in the AC which sounds like hiss through an amp? But then again why are recievers dead quiet?

By the way, I only hear the hiss up close to the tweeters as the previous member stated. Oh, did I mention that this amp sounds amazing compared to my reciever (now used as a pre/pro) 8) .

Levi

4BSST Hiss
« Reply #6 on: 16 May 2005, 01:27 am »
Quote from: dbart
I find it interesting that a cracked receptacle would cause hiss. Could it be that loose plugs throughout the house are causing noise in the AC which sounds like hiss through an amp? But then again why are recievers dead quiet?

By the way, I only hear the hiss up close to the tweeters as the previous member stated. Oh, did I mention that this amp sounds amazing compared to my reciever (now used as a pre/pro) 8) .

How did you like the bass resolution of the 4BSST compaired to other amps?  I am not getting the warm bass the I am accustomed to hear with my Classe CAV-180.  They said that the 7BSST will give that that warm bass resolution.

Levi

thomaspf

4BSST Hiss
« Reply #7 on: 16 May 2005, 01:32 am »
In my case it wasn't hiss but more a noise similar to a ground loop without actually having a ground loop.

Having the same effect when connecting the amp to someone else's system makes this question moot anyhow.

Cheers

Thomas

dbart

4BSST Hiss
« Reply #8 on: 16 May 2005, 01:35 am »
I can only compare to my departed Rotel 1095 amp, but the 4BSST is much more defined/detailed in the bass with a quickness that I'm not acustomed to. With 500W on tap avaliable to drive my 4 ohm speakers, it provides the dynamics that I was also lacking. As for warmth of the bass, I'm not sure. I think the bass is very smooth without bloom.

ScottMayo

4BSST Hiss
« Reply #9 on: 1 Jun 2005, 06:44 pm »
Quote from: Levi
How did you like the bass resolution of the 4BSST compaired to other amps?  I am not getting the warm bass the I am accustomed to hear with my Classe CAV-180.  They said that the 7BSST will give that that warm bass resolution.

Levi

I did blind A/B tests between Classe, Aragon and Bryston before buying Bryston. The differences were startling. Classe was *much* warmer in tone than the other two, and to my ears less controlled. My wife preferred the Classe, actually. Bryston is a little more analytical, and I find it resolves better - but that often means less perceived fullness.

Give your ears a few days to settle into the change. If it still bothers you after a week, hm, quote me a price on that nasty cold 7BSST...  :mrgreen:

ScottMayo

4BSST Hiss
« Reply #10 on: 1 Jun 2005, 07:02 pm »

Receivers (except for a few audiophile sets, probably) tend to roll off really high frequency stuff. That diminishes hiss. Anyway, if you get any audiable hiss you can hear more than a meter from the speaker, with the inputs shorted out, then yes, contact Bryston. That's definitely not right.

dbart

4BSST Hiss
« Reply #11 on: 9 Jun 2005, 10:12 pm »
Scott,

This is confusing me. The amp only has the speakers connected. The inputs are disconnected from the amp. I have very little noise which is good! But when I connect only one RAC cable on one channel and not connected to the preamp (i.e. only the interconnect ) I get hiss and hum. I have tried different interconnect cables also. This is the same for both channels, where the channel that has the cable connected hums and the other channel does not, and via versa. If I short the center pin and the shield casing the hum goes away. Remember only the rca interconnect cable is connected and not the preamp. I just dont undersatnd this.

ScottMayo

4BSST Hiss
« Reply #12 on: 10 Jun 2005, 01:43 am »
Scott,

This is confusing me. The amp only has the speakers connected. The inputs are disconnected from the amp. I have very little noise which is good! But when I connect only one RAC cable on one channel and not connected to the preamp (i.e. only the interconnect ) I get hiss and hum. ...

If just dangling an interconnect cable from your amp input causes a radical increase in noise, then the good news is your amp is fine.

The bad news is, you're in an electrically noisy area, and the dangling interconnect is acting, in effect, as an antenna, picking up background electrical noise and feeding it to your amp. (By shorting out the center and shield, you drain off the received noise, and get silence again.)

You need to:

1) Use well shielded interconnects. Blue Jeans Cable makes nice ones that aren't hideously expensive.

2) Get the interconnect cables away from any other wiring - including wiring that might be in the walls. (Share a wall with someone that has a ham radio rig? Florescent lights? X-10 users? )

3) Never wrap interconnects (or anything else) around power supplies, near light fixtures, pipes, or anything metallic..

4) Keep the interconnect plugged into your preamp, and make sure both amp and preamp is properly grounded. In the absence of a good ground, nothing good can happen in a stereo system.

My favorite stupid trick with a good amp is to touch the center pin of an interconnect without touching the shield. This just about inevitably feeds some significant hum into an amp - and by waving your other hand at electrical appliances you can sometimes vary the kind and amount of hum. This can be a clue to what's noisy in your listening area.

KJ

4BSST Hiss
« Reply #13 on: 10 Jun 2005, 02:19 am »
dbart,

Does the problem still occur when you flip the ground lift switch on the back of the amp?

-KJ

dbart

4BSST Hiss
« Reply #14 on: 10 Jun 2005, 12:22 pm »
There is no ground lift switch on the SST modles.