Bryston assistance

carusoracer

Bryston assistance
« on: 9 Jun 2005, 05:33 pm »
Hello,
I'm currently looking for a new Amplifier to power my Hungry Gallo Ref 3's.  I would like some assistance from forum members regarding what they felt were differences between the 3BST and a newer 3 series,
as well as a 4BST vs a 4BSST.  
I'm leaning towards the 4 series. The main sticking point is that I will be looking in the pre owned area when and if I do purchase. I prefer the Silverface to match with my other components.
Can someone send over a few of their experiences with these Amplifiers?

Thanks in advance

Rich Carlson

Bryston assistance
« Reply #1 on: 9 Jun 2005, 07:44 pm »
The 3BST is certainly a very good amplifier, but in my view the 3BSST is a significant step up - hard to describe the difference, but I feel like it is a clearer view of the music, an amp with no sound of its own to speak of.  I still use my 3BST in another sytem, though, and would not want to get rid of it.

ScottMayo

Re: Bryston assistance
« Reply #2 on: 10 Jun 2005, 01:57 am »
Quote from: carusoracer
Hello,
I'm currently looking for a new Amplifier ... differences between the 3BST and a newer 3 series,
as well as a 4BST vs a 4BSST.  ... Can someone send over a few of their experiences with these Amplifiers?

Thanks in advance

I have a 4BST and a (6BSST, basically a 4BSST with another channel). I don't hear much difference between them on most music, but on well recorded piano, the SST seems to be more realistic. We are not talking a big difference here and I'm not convinced I could pick it out on a blind A/B test. Both amps are solid, effortless powerhouses that will drive virtually any speaker, or for that matter an arc welder, with aplomb.

I'd go with an SST, simply because they are newer and so you'll get more of the 20 year warranty that way. You can sometimes find someone who buys one, decides can't stand all that purity amd clarity, and flees towards something darker. Sometimes you get a deal that way. :-)

Mine are not for sale.