Tube DAC Recommendations

Don_S

Tube DAC Recommendations
« on: 21 Jun 2021, 08:34 pm »
Looking for tube DAC recommendations under $3K.

galyons

Re: Tube DAC Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jun 2021, 10:08 pm »
I have been a user of R2R NOS, (non over sampling) DAC's for ages.  They are, IMO, as close to analog as digital gets. The R2R NOS eliminates/minimizes the digital manipulation of the data stream.  To my ears that is a very good thing!

I built an Audio Note Kits DAC2.1B several years ago. (They are also available built). https://ankaudiokits.com/product/dac-2-1/
 They are moderately priced starting around $1,500.  It is a well engineered design with a proven tube rectified power supply and tube analog output stage. I am running quite good old stock tubes in all positions. I am a DIY guy, but I have done nothing else, since I built the DAC, but change the output caps from AN to Duelund Cast a few years back.

I am in Lincoln. You are most welcome to come have a listen.

Cheers,
Geary
« Last Edit: 21 Jun 2021, 11:20 pm by galyons »

SlushPuppy

« Reply #2 on: 21 Jun 2021, 10:18 pm »
I owned (and LOVED) the DAC from PrimaLuna. The only reason I sold it is because I'm in the process of moving to India and sold all of my tube gear at the beginning of the year because electricity there is spotty and surges are common. Not a good environment for tubes. No DSD.

also:

BorderPatrol just updated their DAC to SE-i status. Nothing fancy and no DSD, but I've heard the previous version a few times and liked it a lot.

Both are in your price range.

Cheers!

Slush

nature boy

« Reply #3 on: 21 Jun 2021, 10:52 pm »
A Modwright Instruments modified Cambridge Audio CXN V2 sounds amazing! Check out the comments.

NB

walkern

« Reply #4 on: 21 Jun 2021, 11:44 pm »
The MHDT Pagoda uses the wonderful PCM 1704 chip set (R-2R) and a tube output stage.  Tube swapping isn't too pricey and you can tweak the coupling caps and fuses and such if you want to tinker further.

Won't do DSD or anything above 24/192, but sounds very musically satisfying.

Delta77

« Reply #5 on: 21 Jun 2021, 11:52 pm »
Not sure if there is one in your budget..?

I auditioned a SW1X : dac II , a week ago..
Out classed my BorderPatrol and my OPPO/Modwright 205.. :oops:

I’m having a hard time believing that a SW1X can replace the oppo with all it’s convenient features (remote volume, hdmi input, opt. input, CDP, Ect,)..

The SW1X : DACs are expensive with no features (no volume, only spdif, extra fee for USB) but I can’t deny that it best my DACs..

Just FYI, 
  BURT..

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #6 on: 22 Jun 2021, 12:14 am »
Probably right at the top of your budget would be the Aqua La Scala (2 versions), the Modwright Elyse (PCM only), and a few Lampizator models including the Amber and Big 5. All excellent dacs in that price range (used), system dependent. What's the rest of your system?

Escott1377

« Reply #7 on: 22 Jun 2021, 11:16 am »
I own the MHDT Orchid which is limited to 24 / 192.  Even though I have purchased a new DAC, I can’t seem to let myself get rid of the Orchid.

It is an inexpensive intro to R2R DAC’s and can be heavily modified at a reasonable price.
« Last Edit: 22 Jun 2021, 04:20 pm by Escott1377 »

ric

« Reply #8 on: 22 Jun 2021, 01:26 pm »
There seem to be a lot of great dacs out there, with many offering returns. Why not try ordering two or more and see what you think? Personally, I am happy with my Border Patrol Dac, but highly recommend  upgrading the fuse in whatever you get to Synergistic Orange, good luck!

Don_S

« Reply #9 on: 26 Jun 2021, 12:16 am »
Thanks for the suggestions.

Thoughts on the Audio Mirror Tubadour III SE?

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
« Reply #10 on: 26 Jun 2021, 12:32 am »
check out the musical paradise.

jtcf

« Reply #11 on: 26 Jun 2021, 01:04 pm »
I have a Tubadour lll. I have the upgraded caps because of the urging of other owners that claimed that would be the most effective tweak out of what is offered by AM.It's revealing and dynamic, but also smooth.Choice of digital cables took some time to sort out. Silnote was my  final choice, lively but smooth. It also is very responsive to different power cords.

garyalex

« Reply #12 on: 26 Jun 2021, 03:03 pm »
Border Patrol DAC SEi

jjss49

« Reply #13 on: 27 Jun 2021, 05:23 am »
tubador > mhdt >> border patrol

in my experience

Nick B

« Reply #14 on: 27 Jun 2021, 08:00 am »
I am living happily with a Border Patrol SEi dac (Jupiter cap version) Top and bottom end are just fine and you’ll love the midrange. Not the last bit of resolution if that’s what you’re after. It’s very musical, organic/natural sounding and a lot of fun to listen to! 🎶  You might be able to get a used SEi for $1,000 - $1,100

tull skull

• I can't send hare in search of anything!
« Reply #15 on: 27 Jun 2021, 08:46 am »
Doge has seemed to attract some nice positive attention to their TubeDAC

https://doge.audio/product/doge-7-tube-dac/

Escott1377

« Reply #16 on: 30 Jun 2021, 07:43 pm »
check out the musical paradise.

Agreed, that’s what I swapped the Orchid for.

Glistener

« Reply #17 on: 26 Aug 2021, 10:11 pm »
Agreed, that’s what I swapped the Orchid for.

I'm looking into the MHDT orchid and the MP D2 Mkiii. Can you offer any characterization of the differences you have found? Also, which upgrades did you order? I plan to run this with an Aric Audio tube preamp 6SN7 and either a Dennis Had Firebottle KT-88 SEP or a Schiit Aegir. Thanks in advance!

bakufu

« Reply #18 on: 26 Aug 2021, 10:27 pm »
line magnetic 502CA, which you should be able to find on the used market for < 1K.  (i paid $700 for mine)

https://positive-feedback.com/Issue74/line_magnetic.htm

jjss49

« Reply #19 on: 27 Aug 2021, 12:45 am »
there is an audio note 2.1 dac in the classified section... it only has rca digital input but if that works for you then i am sure that one sounds excellent (i have the big brother 4.1 model)