Seeking recommendations for SS power amp under $4k

WGH

Re: Seeking recommendations for SS power amp under $4k
« Reply #20 on: 15 Nov 2018, 03:11 am »
In my experience (Insight, Insight+ double die, Synergy) AVA amps do not need burn-in, the solid state amps like the 400 don't even need to warm up to sound their best, they always sound excellent from the start.

"We have complete confidence in the design, workmanship, and musical quality of our audio components. Thus, on new AVA-built electronics, we offer you a 30-day satisfaction guarantee"
https://avahifi.com/pages/satisfaction-guarantee

MtnHam

• Industry Participant
  • SoundLab and Fritz Speakers Dealer
« Reply #21 on: 15 Nov 2018, 03:35 am »
A used Pass Labs amp is my recommendation. Don't know enough about your system to be be more specific, but a call to Mark at Reno Hi-Fi would get you some good advice. They have a great audition/return policy.

decooney

« Reply #22 on: 17 Nov 2018, 05:14 pm »
I'm not sure where the weak link is, ...

Yes. Agree. I just rotated in and out of the exact same situation and what appears to be the exact same 10w amplifier as you.  While it was fun for a while, I struggled with the cool little 10w amp wanting it to produce the control and dynamics of my former 200wpc solid state amp or my other 50/100 wpc triode/ultralinear amp and my speakers were not 88db sens, they were 92db.  I must have flipped back and forth 20 times at least to then [finally, reluctantly] making the decision to part with what I just had acquired in the cool little amp.  Simply needed more power and control.

Formerly I had come from various 200-300wpc mosfet based amps with the nice cool lush sound from SS amps.  Like you, after making the decision the little 10w amp was not going to cut it, I started looking at PSA BHK 250, AVA, Belles, and a few others noted here already.  I'm still running my larger 50/100w tube preamp and amp now, and while I may never go back to SS amps, always keeping an eye out for one.  Hopefully you can demo one that is broken in a bit, it seems my last SS amp started sounding good after 200hrs and it was hard to sell it but knew it was just not quite there yet, back to tube I sit for now.  Still have a hankering to try that AVA or BHK 250, maybe next year. 

Yomaha

« Reply #23 on: 18 Nov 2018, 04:19 am »
Decooney - curious what tube power amp are you running? 

Part of my "issue" with another tube amp is just keeping the thing freshly tubed.  I have a penchant for tube rolling (my own worst enemy) and that gets expensive when you have matched quads to roll thru on some of the larger tube amps.  I've been eyeing some of the used BAT tube amps, but just wanted a break from wondering about how much juice is left on my tubes...or should I just buy a tube tester :)

I do have access to an older AVA Synergy 240.  I'm going to put it in the signal chain now that I have the Modwright tube pre and DSD Sr just to get a feel of SS...

rodge827

« Reply #24 on: 18 Nov 2018, 04:32 am »
Do most of these companies have in-home trials?  If so, has anyone had experience with that...like say you do an in-home trial, and after proper burn-in, you still aren't feeling it?  Do you send it back, or do you catch flak for wanting to return it? Or do you feel general commitment bias and keep something you spend thousands of $$$'s on but don't LOVE? 

The first Digital Amplifier Company amp I tried, I sent back with no hassle from Tommy. I liked the amp but during the 30 day trial period I came across my dream amps and bought them. So back went the DAC amp.

DAC is very good about their return policy as long as you stay within the agreement. 30 days and returned without damage or blemish.

Contact Tommy about his offerings you will be satisfied.

Chris

Yomaha

« Reply #25 on: 18 Nov 2018, 04:50 am »
Chris - good to know that folks keep their word on something like that and its not just lip service!

btw - what were the dream amps you ran across?

rodge827

« Reply #26 on: 18 Nov 2018, 11:44 am »
Chris - good to know that folks keep their word on something like that and its not just lip service!

btw - what were the dream amps you ran across?

A pair of Audio Note Kits 300b SET 8w Interstage Mono's to pair with my Charney Audio horns.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #27 on: 18 Nov 2018, 02:32 pm »
PS Audio has excellent customer service and trade in policy. 

If you're looking for 100 wpc why not look at the PS Audio S300 (140 wpc) for $1500?

OzarkTom

« Reply #28 on: 18 Nov 2018, 03:09 pm »
The first Digital Amplifier Company amp I tried, I sent back with no hassle from Tommy. I liked the amp but during the 30 day trial period I came across my dream amps and bought them. So back went the DAC amp.

DAC is very good about their return policy as long as you stay within the agreement. 30 days and returned without damage or blemish.

Contact Tommy about his offerings you will be satisfied.

Chris

+1

Get the lower powered PSU if you get these. I found it quite a bit better SQ than the 48 PSU.

twitch54

« Reply #29 on: 18 Nov 2018, 09:03 pm »
A used Pass X250.5 would be my number one recommendation but they are going for around $4500 but I have seen 1 or 2 around $4K.  I would also look at used BAT's.  The AVA SET amps are a great buy as well if wanting new.

You can also find used Pass X250 amps for about $2600-$3200.  I run an X250. Awesome amp.   Makes my Parasound A21 sound midfi.

X2 ...........

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #30 on: 18 Nov 2018, 09:58 pm »
I hope I'm not stating the obvious (and I haven't heard your current amps to compare whether this would be a step up, down, or sideways), but considering you're running a Modwright preamp, have you auditioned a Modwright KWA150SE?  The KWA150SE is still the biggest solid state (class AB) amp Dan builds, stereo, just about right in the middle of your price range if used is an option, and can be bridged to mono down the road if you like the sound and want to pick up a second one to end up with monoblocks.

RPM123

« Reply #31 on: 18 Nov 2018, 11:39 pm »
Never mind!

RPM123

« Reply #32 on: 18 Nov 2018, 11:40 pm »
Sorry, it just registered that you want a SS amp.

decooney

« Reply #33 on: 19 Nov 2018, 01:25 am »
Decooney - curious what tube power amp are you running? 

Part of my "issue" with another tube amp is just keeping the thing freshly tubed.  I have a penchant for tube rolling (my own worst enemy) and that gets expensive when you have matched quads to roll thru on some of the larger tube amps.  I've been eyeing some of the used BAT tube amps, but just wanted a break from wondering about how much juice is left on my tubes...or should I just buy a tube tester :)

I do have access to an older AVA Synergy 240.  I'm going to put it in the signal chain now that I have the Modwright tube pre and DSD Sr just to get a feel of SS...

Back to running my upgraded Cary V12R amp. Yes, tubes, 50 watt triode or 100 watt ultralinear.  Plenty of grunt, beautiful sound after upgrades. I can run NOS or modern tubes and it sounds nice and engaging either way.  Formerly I had been running my Cary SLP98 tube preamp and a new Cary SA-200.2 solid state amp. That tube pre and SS amp combo worked well.  As a backup amp, I tried the DH Inspire for a while but realized I preferred more power, control, dynamics over euphoric low-power 10w triode sound. Right now i'm talking with a friend on some 50-60w Triode Monoblock ideas. If I don't go that route, maybe I'll demo a PS Audio BHK 250, or an upgraded Pass Labs, or maybe an older Belles, but I'll always run an NOS tubed preamp without a doubt whether or not I run tube or solid state amplification.  Its not so easy to go back to solid state after experiencing some nice tube amps, but I'm still on the path to retry some tube/SS hybrid amps too. My custom build speakers are revealing so I tend to prefer tube amps over most SS amps.   

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #34 on: 19 Nov 2018, 04:00 pm »
If you do some research on the audiogon.com forum you will see that Tube Research Labs is at the top of the food chain. Paul Weitzel died and so did the company recently. You don't see any of his products for sale as people are hanging onto them.

While he made tube amps and preamps, he did make some solid state amps that he told me sound almost identical to the tube amps. He made the Samson mono block amps that sold for 5 grand as well as the 225 which is basically the Samsons in one convenient package. He stated the 225 is essentially the sonic equal to the Samsons. His cheapest tube amp was 10 k and went up to 25 k, 50 k, and over 100k for the the 800 watt monos. All had the basic same sound, music. 

I have a TRL 225 and TRL Dude preamp I may be listing in the future, gulp, for a non related audio purchase. It is with much hand ringing and consternation that I have even thought of this. That would be a serious move back for me at this time. Ah, life.

Rocket Ronny

nc42acc

« Reply #35 on: 19 Nov 2018, 04:06 pm »
It doesn't get much better than this for a SS amp. And you save some money.

https://www.nordacoustics.co.uk/nord-two-ice-power-1200as2-power-am

witchdoctor

« Reply #36 on: 19 Nov 2018, 08:44 pm »
Seeking recs for a SS power amp under $4k.  I currently have a Modwright 9.0 SWL Anniversary Edition with tube rectification, a PS Audio DSD DAC, and Salk Songtower with Ribbon tweeters.  I have a large listening room now so I've been thinking I need more power than my current 10w tube power amp. 

I top contenders so far are PS Audio M700 monos, Van Alstine, and used Pass Labs or First Watt. I am open to all suggestions.

Please help me spend my money! :)

It's snowing in North Louisiana today - wow!

Ask Jim Salk

kannibal

« Reply #37 on: 19 Nov 2018, 10:18 pm »
Call Klaus at Odyssey Audio. Odyssey has a circle here on the board, but to talk specifics call Klaus, tell him your other equipment, sound you’re after/music tastes, and your budget, and he’ll build you a amp packed to the gills with every penny’s worth of upgrades your budget can handle. Unbelievable sound and value custom built for you. Check it out!

Loki57

« Reply #38 on: 19 Nov 2018, 10:43 pm »
Call Klaus at Odyssey Audio. Odyssey has a circle here on the board, but to talk specifics call Klaus, tell him your other equipment, sound you’re after/music tastes, and your budget, and he’ll build you a amp packed to the gills with every penny’s worth of upgrades your budget can handle. Unbelievable sound and value custom built for you. Check it out!

Plus 1

hallcon83

« Reply #39 on: 19 Nov 2018, 11:00 pm »
So far there have been a lot of great suggestions, but also you have to go look at a company I have just run across that you might not have heard much about before- Kinki Studio! (lol - thier out of Singapore - I guess names don't translate well sometimes)  - They just won 6moons.com 2018 Bluemoon Award for thier EX-M1 Integrated Amplifier, I don't know if your familiar with the online review audio review magazine 6moons. They give thorough audio equipment reviews and I don't take them as gospel but they review a lot of equipment in a year and I have found them to be pretty reliable so to choose this company unknown to them for thier bluemoon award they would have to be very impressed - they said that the EX in the name stands for Extreme and it's not just a title or " puffery ". Please go look at the Review at -

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews2/kinki/1.html

--  then see the specs / discription at  --   https://www.kinki-studio.com/ex-m1

Check out the the photos in the review, the inside of this amplifier is almost a work of art , this company is relatively unknown in the forums and online review magazines I search, but it probably wont be that way for long, and thier amplifiers could easily be priced for thousands more than they are right now. This Integrated Amplifier is 215 watts into 8 0hms  and although i don't see a published figure into 4 or 2 ohms .... at 200 plus watts with 26 db gain in the line stage followed by another x 20 amplification factor in the power stage -- it is very strong and the company says it will drive any speaker.  6moons goes on to say that "it's not often they chance across a discovery this undeniably brilliant" and "if enough people catch on  this amp will become a Classic" - if you aren't looking for an integrated amp , but just looking for an amplifier alone - they also make an amazing pair of monoblocks as well!
                                                                   Best Regards, Dean Halleck