Seeking recommendations for SS power amp under $4k

Yomaha

Seeking recommendations for SS power amp under $4k
« on: 14 Nov 2018, 03:41 pm »
Seeking recs for a SS power amp under $4k.  I currently have a Modwright 9.0 SWL Anniversary Edition with tube rectification, a PS Audio DSD DAC, and Salk Songtower with Ribbon tweeters.  I have a large listening room now so I've been thinking I need more power than my current 10w tube power amp. 

I top contenders so far are PS Audio M700 monos, Van Alstine, and used Pass Labs or First Watt. I am open to all suggestions.

Please help me spend my money! :)

It's snowing in North Louisiana today - wow!

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
Re: Seeking recommendations for SS power amp under $4k
« Reply #1 on: 14 Nov 2018, 03:50 pm »
  Why not a more powerful tubed amp ? What is the sensitivity of the Salk speaker ?

charles

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #2 on: 14 Nov 2018, 03:57 pm »
  Checked speakers are 88db. 50W of class "A" or 100W push pull tubed amp would be a wonderful match. For SS Belles, Parasound or preowned Levenson.

charles

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.

Loki57

« Reply #4 on: 14 Nov 2018, 04:21 pm »
Odyssey extremes.

Roninaudio

• I don't necessarily agree with everything I say.
« Reply #5 on: 14 Nov 2018, 04:34 pm »
I had the M700s and they rocked.  my speakers are 4ohm at 87 Db down to 2.53 ohm and no issues.  best value for power and musicality I have seen.  I have since gone to a valve amp but it would be over your budget limits. I even upgraded to the PSA BHK 250 and missed the 700s immediately.  Good luck, lots of great stuff new and used in that price range....

mick wolfe

« Reply #6 on: 14 Nov 2018, 04:38 pm »
  Why not a more powerful tubed amp ? What is the sensitivity of the Salk speaker ?

charles

+1. Ran the standard Songtowers for years with a 40 watt Latino ST70. ( supplimented with an ACI sub) Fantastic synergy, but with that said, not sure the OP's version of the ST presents an equally tube friendly load. I also remember Steve Stone reviewing the ST/AVA Ultravalve combo at one of the audio shows a few years back. Basically said it was possibly the best sound for the money at that show.

WGH

« Reply #7 on: 14 Nov 2018, 05:16 pm »
Salk + AVA amps are a very synergistic pairing. I'm running that combo right now and whenever I switch out amps the magic is gone. 

smargo

« Reply #8 on: 14 Nov 2018, 05:33 pm »
I had the M700s and they rocked.  my speakers are 4ohm at 87 Db down to 2.53 ohm and no issues.  best value for power and musicality I have seen.  I have since gone to a valve amp but it would be over your budget limits. I even upgraded to the PSA BHK 250 and missed the 700s immediately.  Good luck, lots of great stuff new and used in that price range....

kind of weird to say you had the m700's - its not going to help the poster - to make a decision - its only going to confuse him or her - why wax on about the m700s when you have moved on

my immediate thought is - "if they were so good" why move on

smargo

« Reply #9 on: 14 Nov 2018, 05:34 pm »

kind of weird to say you had the m700's - its not going to help the poster - to make a decision - its only going to confuse him or her - why wax on about the m700s when you have moved on

my immediate thought is - "if they were so good" why move on

Roninaudio

• I don't necessarily agree with everything I say.
« Reply #10 on: 14 Nov 2018, 05:41 pm »
Kinda obvious isn't it?  His comment is- "top contenders so far are PS Audio M700 monos"

I had them and enjoyed them.  I "moved  on" to an amp that was 2X the price.  It happens in this hobby.  Is that such a mystery?  I'll leave it to the OP to determine if it helped or not.

avta

« Reply #11 on: 14 Nov 2018, 09:35 pm »
You might consider the Schiit Vidar (http://www.schiit.com/products/vidar ) 100 W @8 Ohms doubles at 4 Ohms. Class AB. I have one and think its great. I have Joseph Pulsar speakers. Quite a bargain at $700. 5 yr warranty. Made in US in California.

Yomaha

« Reply #12 on: 14 Nov 2018, 09:49 pm »
One of the reasons I'm looking at SS instead of a more powerful tube amp is because of tubes.  What do I mean by that?  I've had an awesome experience rolling tubes with my Dennis Had amp. I love researching for different tubes, makes, models and sonics. I've paid up for some tubes, and really not regretted it at all. 

What I've noticed is that I can "feel" my tubes getting a little bit weaker...slightly diminished sound stage...I have to turn up preamp a little more these days, etc.  So I'm thinking that some of my tubes are fading.  Problem is, is it the ECC88s, is it the KT150's or is it the WE 422?  I'm not sure where the weak link is, and I don't really feel like investing in a tester. 

Because of that, I have become extremely diligent about turning off my system when I'm not listening in the same room, due to the finite life and cost of the tubes.  I'd like to hear what the Salks could do with a lot of power behind them.  I think the Modwright tube front end gives me some decent warmth and bass, so a faster SS amp seems like it may compliment that.  Just my theory...

Yomaha

« Reply #13 on: 14 Nov 2018, 09:51 pm »
You might consider the Schiit Vidar (http://www.schiit.com/products/vidar ) 100 W @8 Ohms doubles at 4 Ohms. Class AB. I have one and think its great. I have Joseph Pulsar speakers. Quite a bargain at $700. 5 yr warranty. Made in US in California.

IIRC Jim Salk has run Schiit more than a few times at Audio Shows. 

rodge827

« Reply #14 on: 14 Nov 2018, 10:09 pm »
Digital Amplifier Company the forum is right here on AC. I have had a number of SS and Tube amps over time and the DAC amps are impressive on many levels. Contact Tommy O he offers a 30 day no hassle return policy.

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?board=174

Samoyed

« Reply #15 on: 14 Nov 2018, 10:31 pm »
Don’t laugh. Kinki Studio ex M1 or the monos. Lovely sound.

JakeJ

« Reply #16 on: 14 Nov 2018, 11:29 pm »
I can also recommend Pass Labs used if you can find a good deal on an X250.5 or .8.  Frankly (pun intended), I'd be looking hard at the Van Alstine SET series of amplifiers.  A Vision SET 400 is well within your budget and if you can swing the dough the DVA SET 600 monoblocks would be my "hard target".  Only another $1000.

Hey, it's easy to spend someone else's money, LOL!

JackD

« Reply #17 on: 14 Nov 2018, 11:56 pm »
I too would be looking for a used Kismet or Frank's new SET 400 and have money in the bank for other things. 

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #18 on: 15 Nov 2018, 01:08 am »
A used Pass X250.5 would be my number one recommendation but they are going for around $4500 but I have seen 1 or 2 around $4K.  I would also look at used BAT's.  The AVA SET amps are a great buy as well if wanting new.

You can also find used Pass X250 amps for about $2600-$3200.  I run an X250. Awesome amp.   Makes my Parasound A21 sound midfi.

Yomaha

« Reply #19 on: 15 Nov 2018, 01:57 am »
just want to say thanks for the rec's...loving this.  seeing some love for AVA and Pass, plus some new names to check out.  Thank You.

Do most of these companies have in-home trials?  If so, has anyone had experience with that...like say you do an in-home trial, and after proper burn-in, you still aren't feeling it?  Do you send it back, or do you catch flak for wanting to return it? Or do you feel general commitment bias and keep something you spend thousands of $$$'s on but don't LOVE? 

So much goes into it, room dimensions, treatment, system synergies, source material etc...