Tube amps, not integrated, to try

sunnydaze

Re: Tube amps, not integrated, to try
« Reply #40 on: 15 Jan 2020, 05:27 am »
  ........I saw one of the Baldwin amps the other day with a football shaped front?........

Sounds like the amp I just linked in my last post right above yours.......no?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #41 on: 15 Jan 2020, 06:04 am »
They used to be very affordable but the price is going up every time he release something. Now amps are almost double their original release price for similar amp.
I noted it, his pre-amps are even more priced than the power amps and this brand no even have a web site.

sns10920

« Reply #42 on: 16 Jan 2020, 12:31 am »
I've been running modified Klipschorns for a few years with 845 SET's, wonderful pairing. Chinese 845's only option in your price range. I've done a bit of research on these over the years, I'd be wary, most need some amount of re-engineering. If you can solder and follow instructions of modders these could be a possibility. Still, we're talking about extremely high voltages in 845's, I'd be wary.

Problem with 845's for me is the space heater aspect for summer listening. As a result I've just begun auditioning summer amps, 2 solid state amps to this point, nice but not the same palpable qualities of my SET's. I also just purchased Chinese 300B  monoblock amps, Tube Fantasy is the brand off ebay. The seller is well regarded by an experienced audiophile over at audiogon forums, I purchased based on his recommendation. Just received couple days ago, appear very well made both external and internals, hand wound transformers, decent power supply. Seller had 10 total to sell, down to 2 last I checked a couple days ago. If you're willing to take a chance this could be affordable option, around $800 plus you supply tubes. I won't know sound quality until a couple weeks burn in (and waiting on several NOS tubes). I've been watching the Chinese tube amp situation for years, with the exception of Denafrips and Line Magnetic I've always been wary of Chinese amps. We shall see with these Tube Fantasy's, just a bit more trusting here because of recommendation plus this guy is said to work full time out of his house selling only various SET amps. Most of these other tube amps are sold by large concerns being supplied amps by dubious builders.

The Dennis Had amps would be nice, also be close to your price range. I'm not sure push pulls will give you what you need, I've had many over the years, including a Bob Latino Dynaco clone which I built with upgraded parts, not SET sound. EL34 closest to SET in my experience. Also, you don't need the wattage of push pull.

charlieboy

« Reply #43 on: 8 Jun 2021, 05:14 pm »
I've been running modified Klipschorns for a few years with 845 SET's, wonderful pairing. Chinese 845's only option in your price range. I've done a bit of research on these over the years, I'd be wary, most need some amount of re-engineering. If you can solder and follow instructions of modders these could be a possibility. Still, we're talking about extremely high voltages in 845's, I'd be wary.

Problem with 845's for me is the space heater aspect for summer listening. As a result I've just begun auditioning summer amps, 2 solid state amps to this point, nice but not the same palpable qualities of my SET's. I also just purchased Chinese 300B  monoblock amps, Tube Fantasy is the brand off ebay. The seller is well regarded by an experienced audiophile over at audiogon forums, I purchased based on his recommendation. Just received couple days ago, appear very well made both external and internals, hand wound transformers, decent power supply. Seller had 10 total to sell, down to 2 last I checked a couple days ago. If you're willing to take a chance this could be affordable option, around $800 plus you supply tubes. I won't know sound quality until a couple weeks burn in (and waiting on several NOS tubes). I've been watching the Chinese tube amp situation for years, with the exception of Denafrips and Line Magnetic I've always been wary of Chinese amps. We shall see with these Tube Fantasy's, just a bit more trusting here because of recommendation plus this guy is said to work full time out of his house selling only various SET amps. Most of these other tube amps are sold by large concerns being supplied amps by dubious builders.

The Dennis Had amps would be nice, also be close to your price range. I'm not sure push pulls will give you what you need, I've had many over the years, including a Bob Latino Dynaco clone which I built with upgraded parts, not SET sound. EL34 closest to SET in my experience. Also, you don't need the wattage of push pull.

Hello. Now that you have had the amps a bit could you share your findings? I am looking at similar amps from the same seller.

Thank you

Charlie

Archguy

« Reply #44 on: 16 Jun 2021, 06:00 pm »
My next amp was going to be a Dennis Had Inspire of some sort or the Musical Paradise 501. I will be going with the Musical Paradise as it's a high powered Single Ended Class A at 55 watts and I think it will give me all the magic I am looking for. Price is right as well but have to wait till stock comes in. It is an integrated though. Fine by me as it gives another volume option.

Musical Paradise link.  http://www.musicalparadise.ca/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=59&product_id=55

Rocket Ronny

Hello. Now that you have had the amp a bit could you share your findings? I am looking at similar amps from the same mfr.  Though they all say "Out of Stock" on the MP website.

Thank you
Arch

NoDisco

« Reply #45 on: 16 Jun 2021, 06:29 pm »
Have it. It competes with my Manley snappers for use. I asked today if the MP501 would work with KT170s. It’s very worthy of tube upgrades. It fills a gap for me for when I mistakenly sold my almarro.

Tom Bombadil

« Reply #46 on: 16 Jun 2021, 08:47 pm »
Have it. It competes with my Manley snappers for use. I asked today if the MP501 would work with KT170s. It’s very worthy of tube upgrades. It fills a gap for me for when I mistakenly sold my almarro.

From the specs, the MP501 produces 55 wpc with either the KT120 or KT150.  This suggests that if you run it with KT170 then it will also still produce 55 wpc.  Unless there is a way to increase bias and/or voltage.  I suspect it would sound almost identical with KT150 vs KT170. 

NoDisco

« Reply #47 on: 16 Jun 2021, 11:04 pm »
Yeah me too. Want to see what he says but I doubt it’s optimized for the 170s.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #48 on: 17 Jun 2021, 09:14 am »
It could depend on the each tube gain, saw the 120/150/170 datasheet now and they dont inform gain for all these tubes.
« Last Edit: 17 Jun 2021, 12:23 pm by FullRangeMan »

NoDisco

« Reply #49 on: 17 Jun 2021, 05:42 pm »
Garry says it’s hard to tell what would happen to sound quality but 170s would last a lot longer than kt150s. About $100 extra and the KTs have come down in price since last year. Thinking about buying from viva tubes.

Kw6

« Reply #50 on: 25 Jul 2021, 03:29 pm »
A question for Fullrangeman!

If you take a push pull tube amp like the Primaluna Evo 300 and flip the switch to Triode is that almost the same as amp wired SE Triode using El34 or KT 88? As an example Unision Research makes a lot of single ended Triode integrated amps.

jjss49

« Reply #51 on: 25 Jul 2021, 06:51 pm »

If you take a push pull tube amp like the Primaluna Evo 300 and flip the switch to Triode is that almost the same as amp wired SE Triode using El34 or KT 88? As an example Unision Research makes a lot of single ended Triode integrated amps.

fullrangeman can answer the query - but to my understanding the answer is no... primaluna unit is using triode circuit within the power tubes but the amp is still a push pull amp, not a single ended amp - big difference in delivered power, distortion, damping factor, and thus sound (all else same)

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #52 on: 25 Jul 2021, 07:59 pm »

Simpler amps have better sound and cost less cash, PP amps could be yet a sensible drawback in sound quality for more price, more tubes, more heat, more parts etc then there is re-tube and maintenance along the road.

How many Watts your speaker needs ?
If your speaker is a 100dB bening 8 ohms impedance a EL34 SE 6W as Decware Raquel or Inspire Fire Bottle will fill your room.
« Last Edit: 27 Jul 2021, 01:23 pm by FullRangeMan »

Kw6

« Reply #53 on: 26 Jul 2021, 12:57 am »
Simpler amps have better sound and cost less cash, it could be ''almost'' yet a sensible drawback in sound quality for more price, more tubes, more heat, more parts etc then there is re-tube and maintenance along the road.

How many Watts your speaker needs ?
If your speaker is a 100dB bening 8 ohms impedance a EL34 SE 6W as Decware Raquel or Inspire Fire Bottle will fill your room.

Ok thanks again guys! I need a bit of power as running Motion ESL!

Kw6

« Reply #54 on: 26 Jul 2021, 12:58 am »
fullrangeman can answer the query - but to my understanding the answer is no... primaluna unit is using triode circuit within the power tubes but the amp is still a push pull amp, not a single ended amp - big difference in delivered power, distortion, damping factor, and thus sound (all else same)

Thanks!😃

mick wolfe

« Reply #55 on: 26 Jul 2021, 01:40 am »

My experience with P-P ultralinear amps that were "triode switchable" had me turning them back to ultralinear operation in less than 30 minutes. No switch is going to magically turn a P-P amp into a SET or even a SEP in my experience. And FWIW, I'm a fan of both well designed ultralinear amps WITHOUT triode switches and SET's.

Docere

« Reply #56 on: 26 Jul 2021, 03:31 am »

I'm not FRM but might be able to help. In short, the answer is no. The Primaluna Evo 300 is a push-pull amplifier, which will have a different distortion profile to a single-ended amplifier. Taking this a little further, PP and SE topologies have different design challenges: well-executed PP will be rather different in design and execution to well-executed SE.

My experience with P-P ultralinear amps that were "triode switchable" had me turning them back to ultralinear operation in less than 30 minutes. No switch is going to magically turn a P-P amp into a SET or even a SEP in my experience.

That is my experience too.
« Last Edit: 30 Jul 2021, 10:05 pm by Docere »

Escott1377

« Reply #57 on: 27 Jul 2021, 11:11 am »
Interestingly enough, I own pieces from a couple of the manufacturers that have been mentioned.

I have a pair of Primaluna Dialogue 7 amps and I have both the latest pre and latest DAC from Musical Paradise.

The Primaluna is only a simulated SET design.  I believe if you dig into some of their literature it talks about this feature.  It’s not bad, good for jazz or tracks featuring female vocals - Norah Jones, Melody Gardot, etc.  I find that I run mine in push pull the majority of time.

1 things that I have learned from the MP items is that it is helpful to be handy with a multimeter.  I had some issues with the pre and the back and forth discussions with Garry was based a lot around readings at certain points on the device.

Ultimately, he diagnosed as a bad tube on my end and I had to send back to CAN for his review.  He claimed the bad tube popped a resistor and bled into the volume board.  I am still a little skeptical since the resistor should have caught the bad tube and not popped.  Anyhow, it’s fixed now except he did not replace a diode that I have on order to swap out for the remote top work correctly.

His gear performs extremely well and it is definitely a good value in the hi fi game.

With the right tubes and capacitors (if the device allows you to swap), you will definitely get more than you money is worth.

Good luck and have fun!

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #58 on: 27 Jul 2021, 01:22 pm »

I have a pair of Primaluna Dialogue 7 amps and I have both the latest pre and latest DAC from Musical Paradise.

The Primaluna is only a simulated SET design.  I believe if you dig into some of their literature it talks about this feature.  It’s not bad, good for jazz or tracks featuring female vocals - Norah Jones, Melody Gardot, etc.  I find that I run mine in push pull the majority of time.

It is always in push pull, they can be run in triode (40w) or ultralinear (70w).

jjss49

« Reply #59 on: 27 Jul 2021, 03:21 pm »
"The Primaluna is only a simulated SET design."

let's not confuse matters, as said immediately above, the primaluna amp is push pull... period, end of story