What is the BEST...

michaelhigh

What is the BEST...
« on: 25 Oct 2012, 11:02 pm »
replacement for a Svetlana SV83 (found in the Decware Zen Triode Select)? Thanks in advance of the mad rush to respond... :green:

tomytoons

Re: What is the BEST...
« Reply #1 on: 25 Oct 2012, 11:22 pm »
When I was running several Decware Amps with SV83's, the best was SV83's, always.
Actually , what is a substitute?
I also had the Special Dual Trannies Sig Monos Steve first came out with. Nice stuff!

michaelhigh

« Reply #2 on: 26 Oct 2012, 02:58 pm »
I've heard said that EL84 is a direct replacement, or 6BQ5 (did I get that right?). I'm in tube rolling mode and want to optimize the SQ of my SET rig. Thanks for your response. Any other Decware users here???

michaelhigh

« Reply #3 on: 29 Oct 2012, 06:10 pm »
I've heard said that EL84 is a direct replacement, or 6BQ5 (did I get that right?). I'm in tube rolling mode and want to optimize the SQ of my SET rig. Thanks for your response. Any other Decware users here???
Does anyone else own the lowly Decware, or have suggestions for rolling the power tubes I mentioned above??? :scratch:

JohnR

« Reply #4 on: 29 Oct 2012, 11:42 pm »
Might help if you had a meaningful title.

michaelhigh

« Reply #5 on: 30 Oct 2012, 03:54 pm »
I could probably say everything necessary in the title, thereby negating the need for wasted bandwidth (like that used to explain why I purposely wrote the title I chose to create curiosity). I gravitate toward this type of title as a topic to read to see if there's an interesting topic lurking within.

I guess your world (much more than mine) is fraught with time-consuming decisions that rob you of precious seconds of valuable time as you peruse the forums. The gist of my need was well- and thoroughly described within my post.

Oh well, back to the subject at hand. If there are no more suggestions, I'll throw a dart at a board with some company names affixed to it and buy some tubes from the place where the dart lands. :green: Thanks for the help that I DID get. :duh:

JohnR

« Reply #6 on: 30 Oct 2012, 04:02 pm »
I'm just saying that if you had a title that said what you wanted to know then you might get people clicking on it that wouldn't otherwise. Also, your topic would be far more likely to get found through search engines.

:dunno:

stevenkelby

• Adelaide, South Australia
« Reply #7 on: 30 Oct 2012, 04:24 pm »
I gravitate toward this type of title as a topic to read to see if there's an interesting topic lurking within.

I don't know what I would replace SV83's with, personally I'd probably try these, http://psvanetube.com/wordpress/store/products/el84-t-pair/, but I can tell you that you are in the minority there.

Take me for example, I read almost every single thread update on AC, and it took me 5 days to consider opening yours.

The majority of people will simply not bother with thread titles like that, on any forum. It's only when the same thread-with-a-waste-of-a-title rises to the top a few times over the course of days that most of us will bother looking.

Thanks for the help that I DID get. :duh:

No worries, I hope it did help with your next thread  :thumb:

Steve.

nd4speed

« Reply #8 on: 5 Nov 2012, 08:51 pm »
Since you can roll EL84s with your amp, I would look at vintage Mullards (manufactured in Blackburn), Telefunken diamond base, or Amprex Holland Bugle Boy. Among these it's going to come down to preferences and what you're looking to change with your system.

mboxler

« Reply #9 on: 22 Nov 2012, 02:47 pm »
Have you looked into these...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-TESTED-MATCHED-6P15P-EV-GOLD-GRID-TUBES-USSR-EL83-SV83-6P15P-ER-6P15P-/300709005761?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item4603a749c1

From Decware site...

The 6P15P-EV is an extra thick glass mil spec version of the SV83 tubes that made Decware Zen Triode amplifiers so popular. This long life tube is made in the Russian Reflector factory.  This is a N.O.S. tube and is what ships with our amplifiers that use it. It is actually a video tube with wider bandwidth than the EL84. Great sounding tube.

Also, do you have the Hazen grid mod for the output tubes?  Not exactly tube rolling, but an inexpensive mod that Steve Deckert swears by.

Mike

doorman

« Reply #10 on: 22 Nov 2012, 04:45 pm »
+1 on the above Russian tubes. There was a group buy several years back on the cryo'd version.
They were stellar in my (then) Zen Select. They made the Svetlana SV83's sound thin by comparison.
I also really like the body & tone of a pair of Mullard 6BQ5's in the above amp.
BTW, the "lowly Decware" is, as you know,within it's power limits, a wonderful amplifier at any price.
Don

medium jim

« Reply #11 on: 22 Nov 2012, 04:58 pm »
Cost be no object, I would go with 7189A's, a direct drop in for the EL84 and are very musical.  Or maybe some JAN Phillips made in the 80's. 

Jim