Backyard updating

mcgsxr

Re: Backyard updating
« Reply #20 on: 20 May 2014, 02:05 pm »
Lots of effort, but little to show in pics!

Did the simple stuff over the long weekend - trimmed the globe maples and a shrub in the backyard.  Removed some of the interlocking brick and laid it all down another side of the house (it used to be just gravel and weeds would grow up chest high by mid summer, since I NEVER go on that side of the house).

Spent a few hours back there enjoying too.  Smoked a whole chicken in my Weber kettle (my first experience with this).

My wife spent lots of time making fun of me, out in the yard tending the charcoal for 2 hours among the destruction that is still our yard!  The next month will bring some good results.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #21 on: 20 May 2014, 09:10 pm »
That backyard is looking pretty classy Mark!

mcgsxr

« Reply #22 on: 2 Jun 2014, 08:09 pm »
We're gearing up for a solid 2 weeks of activity, it should get rolling now.

A 21 foot wide 6 foot high cedar hedge was added this afternoon to the rear of the yard.  Will take 2-3 years to fill in, but will help with the suburban privacy issues in time.

Before

During

mcgsxr

« Reply #23 on: 3 Jun 2014, 04:48 pm »
Concrete guy I contracted 6 weeks ago broke his foot yesterday.

Now I get to find a replacement on short notice, and wait for my turn with them.

Oh joy.

mcgsxr

« Reply #24 on: 15 Jun 2014, 02:42 pm »
Found a replacement concrete guy, am watching closely as I have not worked with this guy before.

Some good progress yesterday and weather depending, the pour will be mid week this week.

Took the time to bury the downspout under the pad, and added a filter to it to help keep it clear for years to come.

Rerouted some electrical for the hot tub, and added a conduit to allow for an outlet over by my BBQ for future outdoor kitchen project.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #25 on: 15 Jun 2014, 03:45 pm »
Now all you need is some stain/paint on those 2X8's.

mcgsxr

« Reply #26 on: 15 Jun 2014, 04:21 pm »
The deck will be fully clad with Trex.  I have the material onsite, but have been waiting for the pour.

Once ten concrete is in, I can install all the fascia and skirting Trex.  Looking for a lasting effect. 

Good catch though, the progress is good but weeks of effort to come yet before I can truly put my feet up.
« Last Edit: 16 Jun 2014, 03:12 pm by mcgsxr »

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #27 on: 15 Jun 2014, 04:34 pm »
Looks great Mark! I've never seen filters like those on a down spout, but I can see how they'd keep the big stuff (especially squirrels, chipmunks, etc...) from getting caught in the underground plumbing. Very cool.

mcgsxr

« Reply #28 on: 23 Jun 2014, 03:28 pm »
Concrete went in last Friday, and forms are off and relief lines cut (no pics of that of, but here are some shots from Friday).

Box stair in front of the deck, and the skirting etc will all go in late this week.  Looking forward to not having to jump down off the deck!

rtate

« Reply #29 on: 23 Jun 2014, 05:34 pm »
Hey Mark, Looks Great !!
Where does the other end of that side drain come out ?
How deep did you have to bury the pipe ?
Is there any by-laws around burying drain lines ?

mcgsxr

« Reply #30 on: 23 Jun 2014, 10:35 pm »
Eeeeesh, bust me in public rtate!   :lol:

I simply replicated what I saw in front of my house in terms or how to do it.  I used 4 inch white PVC pipe buried under about 2 inches of gravel that is under the 5 inches of concrete.  The other end will drain into my grass as it does in the front.

I just did not want a 13 foot extension right across the new pad, it would seem odd I figured.

Never thought about bylaws, but I believe that they would matter only if I wanted to tie the downspouts into the city system etc.

rtate

« Reply #31 on: 23 Jun 2014, 11:12 pm »
Sorry about that Mark  :oops:
I only asked because I have a similar situation but the other end would have to run under my driveway or onto my neighbours lawn which I don't think would work for him    :wink:

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #32 on: 23 Jun 2014, 11:33 pm »

mcgsxr

Looking good! You will enjoy the Trex decking. No maintenance to speak of.

Around here (southern lower Michigan) running rain water to city sewer is not a problem.
Grey water and water used to flush chemicals is understandably a problem.
Keep posting them pix!
Bob2

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #33 on: 24 Jun 2014, 01:41 am »
From what I understand, Canada doesn't care about rain runoff, because they figure it's just going to run down here to the lower 48 anyway.  :wink:

mcgsxr

« Reply #34 on: 8 Jul 2014, 10:48 pm »
Much progress made, but a long way to go yet.

The skirting of the deck is complete, and there is now a step.  The deck is only 15-16 inches off the ground, so by code I don't need railings.  I had a box step made for simplicity.

I clad the shed in Trex, both the side in the backyard with the door, and the side that faces the street.

My wife found a demo Jacuzzi J-235 that she could not resist, so that is now in place too.  We had planned to get a tub again, but this deal came up faster than I had expected.

The yard still has some stone work and sodding to be done, but the deck itself is complete.  I will look to reinstall the poles for the awning this weekend if the weather cooperates.   There is also some light electrical to do to put in a new outlet over by the BBQ, you can see the conduit where I pulled the wire prior to the concrete in one of the pics below.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #35 on: 8 Jul 2014, 10:56 pm »
Looks real nice Mark. You've done a heck of a job, and thanks for the pics. Fun to follow the progress.  :thumb:   JD

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #36 on: 9 Jul 2014, 12:33 am »
That's pretty cool Mark, well done.  :thumb:

Guy 13

« Reply #37 on: 9 Jul 2014, 01:21 am »
Hi Mark.
Really nice place you got, how about some (Outside HiFi) music while you cook or relax?

Guy 13

mcgsxr

« Reply #38 on: 9 Jul 2014, 02:18 pm »
Thanks guys.

In terms of outdoor audio, I am not that into it.  I love to sit and listen to good audio in a good setting, or enjoy music with friends outside, but I don't own the kind of property where I could setup something GOOD and outside.

I did post about the little radio I use, in the Cheap and Cheerful circle - http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=126872.0

Looking forward to the end of the work out there, but taking the time to enjoy the parts that are done too. 

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #39 on: 9 Jul 2014, 04:48 pm »
Looks quite professional both in design and execution but that isn't what makes me envious. Unless I missed something in the photos, you have nothing to mow. Lucky guy.