Backyard updating

mcgsxr

Backyard updating
« on: 14 Apr 2014, 06:31 pm »
We've been in the house 9 years this summer, and it is now time to start doing some updating to the property.

A suburban home (2000 sq on a 35x115 foot lot) with an oversized deck from a previous owner.  It spans full width of the house (29 feet), and varies between 14 and 16 feet.

We want 11x18, and a pad poured for a hot tub (eventually).  Lots of interlocking brick will have to be removed, and some garden bed too.  She desires a more open yard.  I desire to never live through this again!

Easier said than done of course!

I pulled down the decking (all 2x6 cedar) today and was sad to see that many of the pressure treated joists will need to be replaced (pic below shows them laying down sideways on top of the other layer of joists which did survive)

I will also have to put in a few new sonotubes in spots I need support, and of course blast out the ones I don't need any longer.

A few pics to get the carnage started!

bearman2

Re: Backyard updating
« Reply #1 on: 14 Apr 2014, 06:56 pm »
You really need to put in the hot tub first because there is nothing better than a nice hot soak after a hard days work especially after being supervised by your wife all day. Believe me I know from experience. :lol:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #2 on: 15 Apr 2014, 12:27 am »
I love your build threads Mark. Rock on brother!  :thumb:

mcgsxr

« Reply #3 on: 15 Apr 2014, 11:57 am »
Between my finished basement with combined HT and 2 channel, and my T Bird I have enough places to hide to survive the build but that is a good point about the hot tub!

Glad you like the threads Bob, this is the only site I blog at, so ALL my antics end up here.

The 20 yard bin is in the driveway, so the mess will get cleaned up today.

As a bonus it is SNOWING.  In all my 44 years, I never recall snow in mid April. 

Hopefully it does not upset the plan to use the auger tomorrow AM to create the 2 new footings required as we change the layout of the deck.

Unfortunately more of the pressure treated 2x8's were rotted than hoped, so I am out an extra $500 so far.

I started with a 1K contingency, we will see if that holds up!

BobM

« Reply #4 on: 15 Apr 2014, 12:26 pm »
Wow, a project with an actual pre-conceived budget. Most of ours start out with a contractor visit, followed by "You want HOW MUCH to do this?"

Guy 13

« Reply #5 on: 15 Apr 2014, 02:05 pm »
Hi mcgsxr.
No help with that project, will you do it all by yourself?
Snow in the middle of April, that will happen more and more often
of we don't do anything about the planet warm up.

Guy 13

mcgsxr

« Reply #6 on: 15 Apr 2014, 02:37 pm »
I am contracting pieces of the work, but taking on some as well.

It is nice to start with a project scope and budget, but there is really no one here to control my wife changing both!  I am confident that what is planned will be fine with me, but I expect she may discover some of what is possible during the project, and make changes.  I will have to suck it up, this project is really all about making her happy.

The goodies are in the bin, so tomorrow the new footings are dug and poured.

Shed in the pics being removed, and a new one being built between house and fence.  I am taking on much of that part.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 15 Apr 2014, 05:32 pm »
Mark, I've talked to your wife. She's now wanting >> THIS <<.
Scroll almost halfway down.

You can thank me later.  :wink:

mcgsxr

« Reply #8 on: 16 Apr 2014, 07:32 pm »
Thanks Bob, I love it!  If I had a few acres, I would LOVE to add an outdoor kitchen etc. 

Some progress.  Deck demo complete, 2 new piling holes dug (concrete in sonotubes will be done tomorrow) and much progress on the shed by the house.

A shot below of the shed from the front of the house, it does not stick up too much past the fence, and my neighbor said he was cool with it, so I won't worry about the building inspector getting a call...

The shed is small, but will hold what it needs to, tires, mower, snowblower and a few of the kids bikes. 

WGH

« Reply #9 on: 17 Apr 2014, 08:39 pm »
I thought you might find this interesting. I just received the latest issue of the LBM Journal and it's The Deck Issue, this is not a how to guide but a magazine geared more to the building trade, the deck issue features the latest products and trends in decking, railing, lighting and fasteners.

http://www.lbmjournal.com/

You will find quite a few decking  ideas and the ads look good too.

Wayne

mcgsxr

« Reply #10 on: 22 Apr 2014, 06:39 pm »
That mag does indeed have some great ideas.

I will be embarrassed by how simple my own deck will end up being!

In keeping with the spirit of taking pics of speakers coming off the truck... here is the Trex delivery from this AM.

The pressure treated 2x8's will get framed up tomorrow, and by the end of Thursday we should see the top of the deck installed.  I will have to wait for stairs, railings and skirting until after the concrete is poured.  Could be weeks, but it will be nice to put the gas BBQ back up on the deck and be able to walk out my kitchen door again!

Here is a quick pick of the temp door on the shed by the house.  By the end of the project I will use offcut Trex to frame up the front of this too.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 23 Apr 2014, 12:49 am »
Looks good Mark. I love that feeling when a big truck (and a forklift) pull up to the house.  :thumb:

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #12 on: 23 Apr 2014, 12:54 am »
Except when they're hauling your crap off on the orders of your soon-to-be ex wife.   :roll:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #13 on: 23 Apr 2014, 01:08 am »
Well that escalated quickly.  :lol:

mcgsxr

« Reply #14 on: 23 Apr 2014, 02:34 am »
You guys crack me up!

:lol:

mcgsxr

« Reply #15 on: 24 Apr 2014, 03:48 pm »
The full pressure treated framing went in yesterday, and today the Trex has begun.

A simple 2 tone design, looking forward to seeing the whole top in later.

Looking forward to getting the old playhouse/shed out of the yard too, it will really make it bigger feeling, though it will also mean that we see our neighbors more.

mcgsxr

« Reply #16 on: 25 Apr 2014, 01:14 am »
The top is all done.

Waiting for concrete now.  Good to have the gas grill back in play.

Happy with it, and more importantly so is she!

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #17 on: 25 Apr 2014, 01:29 am »
Very cool Mark!
I like the border too, nice touch.

ctviggen

« Reply #18 on: 27 Apr 2014, 12:26 pm »
Looks very nice.  Did you use a hidden fastener system?  If so, which one and how did you like it? 

mcgsxr

« Reply #19 on: 9 May 2014, 02:14 pm »
The standard Trex hidden fastener system was used, it worked well and seems to hold it all down well.

There are pieces that are solid, and those were face screwed.

Work on replacing 4 fence posts with steel is completed.  Needed to get those done, as my neighbor already has concrete on  his side, and eventually when the wood posts needed replacement one of us would have had to cut through concrete if we did not replace them now.

The powder coated steel posts cost 2x as much to install, but he's a great neighbor, and happily paid half.

I picked up some bamboo fence roll to use as a privacy fence at one end of the deck.

Considering a cedar hedge for a portion of the back fence now too.